New to Tablet PC - Need help on Deciding please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blblblbl, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. megaman1x

megaman1x Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys,

I was directed to this forum by a buddy and I have a pretty long question. I found out I got accepted into medical school and I am going to require a new laptop since my old one is not cutting it anymore. And I've decided on a Tablet PC.

Here is a list of things I am looking for:

-at least 512 RAM
    -at least 40 GB HD
    -Must be Light (less than 4.5 lbs)
    -Must have built in WiFi 802.11g
    -Must have Bluetooth built in
    -Must have a very good battery life
    -Must have a biometric fingerprint reader
    -Does not have to have any optical drives (like how the X41 has no drives, that's fine by me)
    -Must have an SD card slot

Money is not an issue. Also it would be nice if it had firewire and Infrared but these aren't a must.

So far I found two Tablet's that satisfy what I am looking for:

1) IBM Lenovo X41 6SU
    2) Fujitsu T4020B

But I am not sure which of these is better for myself. The only real differences I can see is that the X41 is lighter and has better battery life, but the Fujitsu T4020B has a larger Hard Drive and has a faster processor and also has a firewire port. Also the Fujitsu is cheaper, but price is the last thing I'm looking at.

Also, a buddy has told me that I should really look into purchasing a Tablet PC that has a dual core processor because they are much better at multi-tasking. So I read about the Fujitsu T4210 CORE DUO. This one looks like a winner to me, but to my understanding it has not been released yet for purchase. Does anyone know of an approximate release date? I don't have to purchase the Tablet until September/October-ish, so if something is upcoming that's supposed to be great, I can wait.

I know this is a long post, and I thank you all for taking the time to read it. I am really new to Tablets and since it is a big purchase, I want to make sure I make the right choice!

2. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

I believe that the new HP TC4400 series fulfills your requirements as well. The x41 is an excellent choice, and will provide long life and stability. The acer c314 is great as well, but it doesn't have the biometric reader you need.

Since you have time, keep up with Acer. They may be releasing Core Duo tablets before October.

3. blblblbl

blblblbl Pen Pal - Newbie

I just bought a t4020, so i'm entitled to "bash" the X41 :)

the listed dimension and weight of the X41 is with the small battery. ppl said that once you've loaded up the big battery the size and dimension is merely marginally better than the likes of m400 or t4020.

the online community has reported bad customer support, EM interference of the pen input, also performance issue that can be fixed by clean installation, which is a pain without an optical drive.

note that i didn't use the X41, but I'm a cynical person and just go for the model with the least number of complains.

4. megaman1x

So your pretty happy with the T4020 so far? My good friend has an X41 and he likes the size of it since he has to carry it around with him at all times (like how I'm going to be soon). Also, he says the regular battery is fine for his purposes...so I don't know....

Have you heard any info on a release date for the Fujitsu T4210 CORE DUO?
    I saw the specs...looks like it has everything I want (a bit heavier) but it does have the dual core processor. Maybe I should hold out and wait for that? I have basically until september to decide...

5. blblblbl

blblblbl Pen Pal - Newbie

for me i routinely go for 6-8 hr meetings so i'd load all the battery i can find onto my machine, and to this end X41, M400 or t4020 seem to be the same in terms of footprint. I'm happy so far, but as I said heating is there but it seems that the ergonomic design kinda shielded me from the problem.

the X41 "stories" i've read about:
    http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29434
    http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32497
    I don't know if they're consistent problems, but they're enough to scare me off; but please let me know if your friend doesn't have the problem.

The t4210 is definitely over the horizon, as the fujitsu rep told me straight up that it's coming very soon, and there's quote-unquote "most definitely" a price drop in t4020 when that happen (in canada).

Core duo seems to have better performace and roughly the same battery life as pentium M (tom's hardware?), but i'm not a power user since I have a 96-cpu cluster to do my heavy-lifting stuff; that is, effectively I don't gain anything from an extra core.

Given the core duo and tablet problems reported over the last year, I'd personally wait for the verdicts from the early adopters. I mean i'm not rich enough to spend $$ on some unknown machine, and i don't have a poker face to sell a lemon to some strangers. In terms of weight and size, you should ask a sales rep for exact actual dimension for your actual usage configuration (removable drive + extra battery, etc)

6. megaman1x

Thanks for all the help blblblbl. I will ask my friend about those problems on his X41 and let you know.

So it seems like if I wait for the new T4210, I'd be set either way:

-the cost of the T4020 will go down
    -or the early adopters of the T4210 will actually let us know it's performance.

Thanks again for all the help and info.

7. master

master Pen Pal - Newbie

Do all of the suggested models here have a biometric fingerprint reader?
    Im yet to even see one of these myself.

8. megaman1x

The X41, T4020B, and future T4210 all do for sure.

9. TabletX

TabletX Pen Pal - Newbie

Congrat Megaman1x on your acceptance into medschool. Ok now for the tablet, I am in the same place as you are, but I would say probably hold out until july for more choices (orientation probably won't start for u until august). Depending on which medschool you are going to, but for mine, we use a lot of electronic stuff like histo / gross, which are on DVDs........ so X41 might not be such a good thing. Yes I know you can use emulation program, but that is a pain a in the butt. I am looking at the M400, sort of around 4.5 lbs.

Which medschool did you get accepted into if you don't mind me asking.

10. megaman1x

Thanks TabletX.

I guess I didn't mention this earlier, but I'm in Canada and I got accepted into a Canadian medical school. University of Manitoba (U of M) to be exact.

And your right about orientation not starting until about August...20th..ish...

I think it's my best bet to wait as well. But I'm not sure if U of M does use dvd's or cd's much. My friend who just finished up his first year has an X41 and I asked why he would get something without an optical drive. He said that he doesn't need it for that. He has an external dvd burner at home and he would never need an optical drive while at school. The only thing he needed was a flash drive for himself.

I kinda like the Fujitsu T4020 myself right now. Although nothing is set in stone obviously, technology changes so fast. Who knows what will come out.
    I'm hoping to wait until September, I'm thinking I can hold off until then without a laptop/tablet. Or I can use my old one for a short while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.