New tablets and convertibles from CES 2020

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You know, even though this is very commonly held wisdom, I'm going to challenge it anyways. :vbtongue:

Every so often, there is a device comes along that could be considered "golden," an unusually complete and excellent representation of a device class, relative to the market.

For example, the VAIO Z Canvas is still anomalous for being a slate built around a 47W chipset that also runs stably and quietly. This capability is buttressed by its unusually durable construction (frame and glass), paired with an amazingly color-accurate screen, while still retaining a portable form-factor.

These qualities you don't just find in every release cycle; it was created under the special circumstance of a newly-formed company, with an amazing engineering pedigree (VAIO Z), throwing their entire talent towards creating "the perfect slate".

So no, imo there's NOT always something just around the corner, and a good tech buyer has to recognize when a perfect storm of qualities presents itself—and realize a 'perfect storm' does not mean perfect (ZC has flaws for sure), but rather a singular representation of your ideal device, which you might not see again for years. Then hit 'buy'.

That's the art of being a TPCRer. :vbwink:

2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh I did that when Huion released the Kamvas 13 Pro but then months later they updated the rest of the range to etched, bonded screens and I sold my 13 Pro at a loss. Huion have upped the rez of the Huion 24 and I'm not being burned again - 16-19 inches with a 2.5K screen is the ideal for me to hook up to a 4K iMac so I will wait.
    That perfect storm came again though when the zbook showed up in 2018 at a never to be repeated price but this time I'm happy and I bought it. It'll do me another 4-5 years for portable drawing.

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Superb. Just perfect!

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Yeah, that's pretty awesome thinking, Marty - I really should have bid against you for that Z Canvas :p.

Marty likes this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

And I am very glad you did not. Even one dollar over, and I would have very likely went bust. :p

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

What an insightful post. It's been surprising to me over the years how many great tablet designs, particularly in the past decade, have been one-off or dead-end efforts. There is not always an improved version on its way or even assurances that a current device that meets your needs perfectly will remain readily available if a replacement model is needed. In my case, the Asus Note 8, Surface 3 and even my beloved Go come to mind. When the right device hits the street, you have to know when to jump.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    lovelaptops and Marty like this.