New tablets and convertibles from CES 2020

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Jan 6, 2020.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

That's a bummer to hear, I wonder what the future of the other larger EMR Samsung devices is... did they sell better?

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

they must be if they keep putting them out. The upcoming Flex, the Notebook 9 Pen, and it’s predecessors......clearly the Yoga design must be selling well. Makes sense.....walk into a Best Buy.....and Surfaces aside, you really don’t see anything else rocking the Surface form factor.

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Brad Colbow gives a nice overview of pen-enabled devices that were shown off at CES:

He brought up one major contender that kinda flew under the radar, but seriously deserves a mention—the refreshed LG Gram 2-in-1:

(LG Press Release)
    [​IMG]

"LG’s ultra-portable convertible laptop, the LG gram 2-in-1 (model 14T90N), returns this year with greater functionality and the addition of Thunderbolt™ 3....delivering more than 20 hours of worktime in a package that tips the scale at only 1,145 grams."

As keenly pointed out by @lovelaptops, all of last year's LG Gram devices are notable for having upgradeable dual m.2 storage slots and one replaceable SODIMM slot (which I honestly can't remember last seeing on any thin-and-light):

[​IMG]

As a bonus, this year those m.2 slots are NVMe enabled.

So spec-wise, in addition to the amazing 72Wh/2.5lb portability, you're getting Ice Lake graphics, TB3 support, memory upgradeability with the fastest interfaces (NVMe and DDR4), and the cherry-on-top...Wacom AES pen support (w/pen included! :thumbsup:).

Take a bow LG, hats off.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  4. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

Oops, I meant EMR?

Lilawyn likes this.
  5. Marty

Brad got his info mixed up. :p

The LG Gram 2-in-1 has always had AES. (Though I wouldn't complain, if LG ever decides to go EMR. ;))

Lilawyn likes this.
  6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Nice catch, Marty. The fact that the Gram has empty slots for both SODIMM and NVME (a second one) does indeed make it unique in its class - amazing throwback to a different era, but in an impossibly thin & light form factor it's truly the 8th wonder of the convertible world. Frankly, I'd forgotten that LG intro'd a 2-in-1. Though the specs and screen are not equal to best of breed, I've been borrowing my wife's non-convertible Gram 13 (2.1 lbs!) and am now seriously considering the Gram convertible instead of the reigning king Spectre x360, given the 0.5 lb weight advantage and, especially, the amazing open slots, plus huge battery (12 hrs is real!). Biggest downside of the Gram is price - $300-$500 premium - but hey, there's a lot of extra value there, all but the FHD screen now top-of-line specs.

** note: turns out both slots of the previous Gram were always NVME compatible; they put a SATA drive in to save $ (bad idea) but both slots were always NVME-upgradeable. If you can live with older tech, the outgoing models are still a steal.

Take another bow, LG!

Lilawyn and Marty like this.
  7. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

Lilawyn and Marty like this.
  8. Marty

Good catch, might have to scratch graphics horsepower as one of the listed advantages (but still compares surprisingly well to the Comet Lake iGPUs).

Let's hope they come out with an i7 refresh next year.

Speaking of next year, at the rate you are deciding on that Spectre, I think it will be next CES by the time you make your decision Jeff. :p

(when of course, you will have yet more options to extend the cycle of rationalization again ;))

Lilawyn likes this.
  9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Flattered that you noticed. In my (weak) defense, been busy with other matters... but yes, already more rationalizations to delay, and save $ as great devices become last year's models Don't really need a new laptop, just want one :D.

Lilawyn likes this.
  10. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's the fun and pain of choosing a new device. There's ALWAYS something just around the corner and if what you already have is working - then you can procrastinate till the cows come home.
    Except for those whose devices are their sole bread and butter in which case tax write-off means you should never procrastinate.

I'm probably retiring from post in the next 5 years and then I'll become one of those annoying artists who get a brand new latest / greatest and write off against tax every year........

Looking forward to it. :D

lovelaptops likes this.