New tablets and convertibles from CES 2020

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I did some calculations and to my surprise, a 17.3" 16:9 display when folded works out to ~8.5x7.5", or just 11.3" diagonal for each screen half.

The bezels look reasonably small, so actually carrying this thing around should feel like carrying a rather tiny 12" clamshell. And imagine the reactions when you pull out a dinky little laptop—then suddenly turn it into a giant 17" monster tablet. :D

And you know what they say, "Some are showers, and some are growers. But it's the growers that leave the biggest impression." ;)

stoneseeker and Bronsky like this.
  2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Is that what they say?? LOL

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Wow. That flexible screen stuff has really jump started creative thinking at the big companies. They're showcasing quite a load of weird and wonderful designs. There have been MUCH drier years in the past!

I can see the value of capacitive touch battery-pen systems over EMR when it comes to folding designs. -I know from my own experiments that it's really hard to get EMR surfaces to work correctly when you have two of them in close proximity to each other at odd angles. Folding screens would get weird along the seam for EMR pens, whereas capacitive tech evidently causes no trouble at all. -And frankly, it's kind of cool to see it working as well as it does in those demos with people touch scrolling right across the bendy parts with no problem. If you think about that for a second.., touch screens that good are quite the accomplishment. I almost feel like, "Heeeeey, waitasecond. Should that even be possible? COMPUTER! END SIMULATION!"

Anyway, for battery pens, they have to eventually get that tech working flawlessly with no bumps and jitter, simply because it keeps being reiterated and stuck with. -Kind of like how EMR had all these quirks and fudgy spots in models from fifteen years ago, but now the tech is close to flawless, (you can draw right to the edges!).

I don't think I'd mind those pens so much if they ran on capacitors and I didn't have to think about replacing batteries. And if they actually worked to their full potential.

Bronsky likes this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

God, don't put me in this position, I'm really trying to hold back here. But I can't.

Ghh, yarhh shaaying hraat?

5. Marty

Didn't see a thread for this, but Lenovo announced Yoga 5G / Flex 5G, a new WOA convertible with one full day of battery life:

(TabletNews)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "It’s the Lenovo Yoga 5G and it promises an impressive 24 hour battery life...It’s all spawned by the Lenovo Project Limitless and it’s the first PC with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx 5G Compute Platform. The product is expected to debut in the Spring, priced at $1499. Interestingly, it will have a different name in USA: Lenovo Flex 5G. The device supports both millimeter wave full bands and sub 6 GHz 5G networks, so no worries there. The product will only weigh 2.9 pounds and provide a 400 nits display."

Given that it uses the 8cx, I'm interested in how they're able to get so much more rated battery life than the SPX.

Is the SQ1 really clocked so much higher than a regular 8cx? Given that the SQ1 is in a thin, fanless chassis, I would have thought it would more thermally constrained than 8cx laptop counterparts. :confused:

Thoughts @desertlap? In your testing, what's the power consumption on the SQ1 vs. other WOA devices?

thatcomicsguy and JoeS like this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I don't know the answer, but Lenovo has always been particularly shameless about listing the absolute highest possible values, approaching values that require the screen to be super dim and the CPU doing basically nothing. They can quote 14h battery life, and then users report 4.5h for example.

A second possible reason is the battery. The SPX has a relatively small 38.2 Wh battery, so maybe they put something more reasonable. Seems likely given the 2.9 lbs weight.

Marty likes this.
  7. Marty

According to NGTV, the battery capacity is 60Wh, which is a little over 50% larger. So that does explain some of it, but I still feel like the SQ1 seems to have far lower battery life than you would expect for a 7W chip.

In the old SPX vs SP7 thread, we commented how the rated 13 hours doesn't seem that much higher than the rated 10.5 hours of the SP7 with a 15W chip. So I'm still curious about any power draw results that @desertlap might have.

True, but I feel once you start making claims about full-day run times, you set different expectations. Costumers I think are going to be far less forgiving if they find out their amazing "24hr" battery, actually lasts less than 8. :p

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Definitely also interested in any new info. One thing we discussed before is that emulation is computationally expensive, so if people run a lot of x86 software, their battery life will drop significantly. That wouldn't explain any difference between the Yoga 5G and the SPX of course, but it is likely a significant contribution to the lower than expected battery life of the SPX itself.

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

It seems to have passed under the radar but Asus showed a double screen Duo, with smaller specs than the Duo Pro. If that is priced competitively it should be an interesting choice as a productivity machine.

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I was at CES. I checked out stuff at Samsung and happened to be able to chat with a product engineer for their laptop line. I told him I was a huge fan of the GB12 and asked if there was a next version. Unfortunately he told me there was not a big enough market for that particular design, and there were no plans for a next iteration . :( :( :(

stoneseeker likes this.