New tablets and convertibles from CES 2020

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Err... But that XP-Pen is not a display tablet...Both the Wacom One and the Huion Kamvas 13 are. And are Android compatible.

2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Those two display screens won't work without an extra cable to an external power supply. The Wacom One also has a horrendous dongle almost the size of a phone to cart around.

My personal aim is a really cheap, very lightweight sketching / animating on the go set-up. (My zbook or any future 4K 22 inch screen tablet are for more power hungry Apps like Photoshop / Clip Studio unless Huion add a slot for an Intel Compute Card or similar.)

3. godofiron

godofiron Pen Pal - Newbie

Ugh this is just absolutely beautiful. I'm loving my kamvas pro 20, so I'm definitely getting this one for my office when I have the money.

Which reminds me, I don't know what the price for it is...!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  4. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Look up the Kamvas 13. It works with a single USB-C cable. That's its entire selling point.

5. doobiedoobiedum

I did, the Huion page says it needs an external power supply to work with a phone.

This page:

https://www.huion.com/pen_display/kamvas-13.html

And halfway down:

It's way overkill in price and size for me to connect something that big and expensive to my android phone - a cheap graphic tablet for my phone cost me £25 (I ordered the XP-Pen Star g640s last night) for quick throwaway sketches and a very light backpack. I see this as almost the equivalent of my little A5 hand stitched sketchbooks. I pay 0.70p for one and they are perfect when I just want to throw a sketchbook and pencils / paints into my back pocket.

[​IMG]

If I were going for more serious or larger drawing I would be going with a 16 inch screen and a laptop to power it. For that - I'm happy to wait for the iterations to the Huion line. Last year's 1080p models will all be upgraded to the new 2.5K screens (like their new 24inch Kamvas Pro and that is pretty exciting.

Cuberdon75 and Marty like this.
  6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Woah! Did you guys check out Intel's 'Horseshoe Bend' prototype foldable behemoth?

17 inches of glory baby! Anyone else getting flashbacks to the vaunted Panasonic 4K Toughbook?

Ah, the true usecase for the fold: at least you won't have to schlep it like this all the time. :D

[​IMG]

And another hands-on:

Great Intel, now put pen input on it!

thatcomicsguy and JoeS like this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I love how these foldables make scrolling look like the page is running through an old fashioned printing press. :D Seriously, now I kind of want to read the NYT on that thing.

YVerloc, thatcomicsguy and Marty like this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Wacom one misses the mark in so many ways. Why its not just USB to USB-C makes no sense, since in pairing with a Windows device.....a single USB-C would replace those 3 separate cords. It should have been single USB-C by default....with an optional USB-C to 3-1 dongle for those without USB-C.

Additionally....the Wacom One is 14mm thick......why the hell does it not have its own Battery? When you have under 7mm thick devices like iPad Pros, and Samsung Tab S6's......that have fantastic high res displays.....full on Android/iOS chipsets....and batteries......a 14-inch clunker like the Wacom One has no reason not to have an integrated battery. Its not like battery tech for a 'display only' would be as complex or expensive to integrate. Most phones are USB-C now.....given Wacoms marketing of this to be used in conjunction with a phone.....a single USB-C connection to a phone and integrated battery in the Wacom One would be stupidly perfect set up for this....and an easy and great way to undercut Huion.

However.....one interesting thing about the Wacom One is omission of the Pro Pen 2.....to Zbook/S-Pen Grade EMR.......As an owner of a Zbook x2 and Galaxy Book 10....The Wacom One poses an interesting benefit that Cintiqs don't. It would be a rather perfect dual monitor pen set with use of the same pen instead of having to switch pens.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  9. doobiedoobiedum

Sorry but I think the true case for foldable / rollable displays is short life span to keep the market ticking over. I honestly can't see any such display lasting more than 3-4 years before cracks or splits start to appear.

I think the same can be charged at the new Huion 13.3 model. Even a 2 hour battery life would have made a huge difference to their potential market.

I naively thought Wacom had put their highest grade EMR digitisers into the tabletpc market - I know one person in a thousand lucked out and got good experience with EMR 1 on the old tabletpcs but HP and Samsung - even the new Acer machines should have the same grade digitiser as a Cintiq.

Disappointing. Lots of reviewers hate on them but my suspicion is the Chinese rivals forced Wacom to step up from EMR1 to EMR2 so once again I find myself hoping one of the Chinese manufacturers really steps up that final step to knock Wacom off that perch.

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I love how that guy is holding the giant unfolded horseshoe bend …

(the original of which is in Altoona Pennsylvania by the way)

[​IMG]

… with one hand. WTH? That looks like it would uncomfortable even with a stand.

There is virtually nothing for tablet users at CES.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    nnthemperor and darkmagistric like this.