New tablet purchase

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by prophet1, Feb 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prophet1

prophet1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've decided to buy a budget tablet of some description essentially for travel use (media viewing), general out and about use and sofa surfing.

My main workhorse is a Surface Pro 2 set up in my home office connected to a large monitor.
    After doing some initial research I'm leaning toward the Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 either 8" or 10"

With respect to the 8" version:
    Argos sells a 1GB RAM version at £110 - Argos 1GB version click here
    Ebuyer sells the 2GB Ram version at £130 - Ebuyer 2GB version click here

Additionally, although I use a Galaxy android phone, I really haven't utilised the android operating system sufficiently to understand what it's capable of as against windows which, with the surface pro, I use everyday for intensive applications.

Perhaps it might be worth looking at a budget windows tablet possibly the upgraded Linx 8" or 10"?
    - Linx 820 2GB RAM + 32Gb version click here

Any thoughts on the above would be most appreciated

General Questions.

1. What is your budget? £150
    2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? No
    3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible? Media/mobile initialy
    4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer? 8 or 10-inches
    5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]? UK
    6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? No
    7. How many hours battery life do you require? Not too important
    8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? Web surfing & entertainment
    9. Do you have an OS preference? No preference
    10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? Unsure
    11. Do you intend on playing Games? No
    12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system? No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution? No
    2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Sometimes
    3. Do you require a pen? Would be something to try

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Sufficient for above usage.
    2. Would you like expandable memory? Yes
    2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Yes

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Any thoughts on the above would be most appreciated...>>

...As a generality, I believe that staying within the same OS ecosystem is a good thing. Thus my first thought would be that the Linx tablet would be a more satisfying choice in the long term. However, diversity can be good too, if only because it may give you access to applications that don't exist for Windows. I own a diverse assortment of hardware (because I think you have to use stuff if you're going to comment on it in the forums) and each type of platform and its OS has pluses and minuses.

So if continuity is valuable to you, go with a Windows tablet. If a particular hardware configuration appeals to you, go with it and whatever OS it runs.

PS: If you own an Android phone, you should really spend a little time with the OS so you understand what it can really do. It only makes sense to get maximum utility out of it...

3. prophet1

Appreciate the response Steve.
    You've confirmed my dilemma.

On reflection, as I've never explored the world of android apps plus, if I require to do work away from home my Surface Pro 2 is sufficiently portable plus, the cost of the of Lenovo is relatively minimal, I'm leaning toward the Lenovo.

The only question remaining is whether or not there's sufficient advantage in paying an additional £20 for the 2GB version over the 1GB version.

Any view Steve, or anyone else?

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The only question...is whether...there's sufficient advantage in paying an additional £20 for the 2GB version...>>

...I've always advocated for more memory (assuming it's affordable) rather than less, but the reason that I do that is because a device with more memory is typically more attractive when it comes time to sell it. Similar rationale for investing in a screen protector, although the screen protector offers very real protection benefits during mobile use.

In this case, I'd say that 20 quid is an acceptable price for double the memory. 2 GB isn't very much, but IMO it's better than 1 GB...!

5. prophet1

I concur.
    Cheers.

6. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd go for the 2Gb version. Absolutely. But the problem isn't so much the 1 or 2Gb, it's rather the 16Gb storage. I know somebody with a 16Gb tablet and he's even got problems running windows update...

I forgot my recommendation: the linx.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  7. prophet1

SP
    Appreciate the response. I've read a fair few reviews and user reviews but not come across this as general issue.
    In any case this morning I ordered the 2Gb Lenovo, £130 with free deliver tomorrow from Amazon, so Windows update not applicable.

I decided to go for android machine for the reasons mentioned in post 3 above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.