New tablet PC for an artist/writer!

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by DigDiggin, Jul 14, 2016.

1. DigDiggin

DigDiggin Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?
    Preferably under $1000, but looking to go much cheaper. It isn’t going to be my primary laptop, so it doesn’t have to be the biggest powerhouse around.
    2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes, definitely.
    3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Half and half. I prefer windows os because of the software, but the iPad and Samsung tablets are also very appealing considering how portable and quick they can be.
    4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    13 inches and below preferred.
    5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    United States.
    6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Not really. I’m willing to try new brands.
    7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    As many as possible. It’s mainly going to be a portable device for when I go out, am at work, etc.
    8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet?
    Digital painting (photoshop CS6), and writing (Microsoft word 2010). Pressure sensitivity is a MUST, however I’m not picky about having the best of the best, I just need it to acknowledge the difference between light and hard strokes.
    9. Do you have an OS preference?
    If it has a desktop os, then windows for sure. For mobile os, I don’t have a preference. I’ve never owned a tablet before.
    10. What software and tasks do you intend to run?

Photoshop CS6 and Microsoft word 2010 mainly. I’ll probably browse the internet too, and maybe listen to music while I draw/write, but nothing crazy beyond that. The only game I think would be neat to be able to run would be Minecraft, but no hardcore games.
    11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Minecraft/Minecraft PE if possible.
    12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Nah.
    Screen Specifics
    1. Any preference on screen resolution?

Nope.
    2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Yes, that would be lovely!
    3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    Yes on both the pen and pressure sensitivity! No preference on what type of pen, though.
    Component Specifics
    1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

I would like to have enough memory for what I’m doing. I don’t mind if I have to buy ram sticks myself and install them. Storage isn’t the biggest issue as long as I can transfer files/pictures/documents via usb or microSD.
    2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    I prefer usb because of its flexibility. microSD or SD is fine, too.

The choices I’ve already done extensive research on are:

*iPad pro 9.7”
    *HP Elitebook 2760p

I’m on the ropes with the 2760p because I’ve heard many stories about pressure sensitivity not working and I definitely need that. I’m more into it than the ipad, though, because I just love the way it’s built and what it has to offer. My question is will the 2760p be able to handle photoshop CS6 with ease? (of course, assuming I give it 16gb of ram and an ssd), or because of its age, is it going to struggle?
    And if you guys have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

EDIT
    Just discovered the t901 by Fujitsu and I'm interested. Does anybody know which is better, 2760p or t901?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

T901? 4 lbs and 4 hours of battery life is OK? lol I was recommend Miix 700, but nevermind.

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The 2760p is a beautiful little machine. Pressure sensitivity works just fine with the right Wacom drivers installed. I've had no problems at all with it; whoever was complaining about lack of pressure sense was simply not doing something right.

The screen is quite small and low resolution, though. That's really the only drawback. -That, and the other other last-decade design elements, (over an inch thick and short battery life by today's standards). But you can stick in an SSD no problem.

They're very affordable and plenty powerful. Run Windows 7 and you'll be happy with that little svelte donkey.

I like the Fujitsu T935 and 936 if I was willing to spend the cash... Wacom EMR? Nice! But unless you know your machines, that's sort of TabletGeek overkill.

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A Windows 7 laptop capable of running Photoshop CS 6 and an Ipad Pro are wildly different experiences. I don't know how you reconcile between them.

stoneseeker and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. DigDiggin

Ha ha, yeah I know. The iPad pro was originally what I'd wanted, and I discovered the 2760p much later on. At the time I wasn't aware of those older tablet pcs but that was definitely what I wanted to find. I just kind of swerved into iPad pro territory because of how many artists love it.

6. DigDiggin

Thanks for the info! I'm probably going to get the 2760p for its power and portability.

7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How much will the 2760p end up costing you? I think something like the Miix 700, which can be found for $500, is a reasonable contemporary option in a form factor that's much closer to an iPad.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. thatcomicsguy

If you go for the 2760p, it looks like you ought to be able to do it for around $250

9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I own a 2740p. It's just too damn bulky to take around. And 2760p is slightly heavier.

Given the choice between 2760p and Miix 700, Miix 700 wins at everything IMO. EMR yadda yadda yeah well I don't miss cursor misalignment when going from landscape to portrait and visa versa. I'm much happier using my Miix 700 than my 2740p on the go or at home.

10. thatcomicsguy

Good deal on one here...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Idea...239685?hash=item58df493805:g:Uq4AAOSwGtNXiS3w