new tablet laptop 11 inch with i7 and 8GB

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by deadtorights, Nov 10, 2013.

1. deadtorights

deadtorights Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I am looking for a tablet or hybrid detachable laptop with those spec below that I prefer :

1. What is your budget?
    1000-1700$

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    No

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Windows Tablet PC or Detachable Hybrid laptop

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

10 to 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Canada

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Brand loyalty

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    7+

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Web Surfing, Aion, watching moving, MS Office

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows 8.1 Pro

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Words, Excell, Powerpoint, autocad

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Aion or other MMORPG

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Don't need it

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    11 inch or more

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Mostly indoor

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    Prefer a PEN without pressure if possible

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    128 gig or more
    Prefer 8GB of RAM, minumum 4 GB

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Full USB, microSD Card, HDMI

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    CPU = i7 Haswell

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    light weight tablet or detachable laptop
    Bonus : GPS, mobile broadband.

I really prefer 8GB of RAM. But the only one that does have it is the Surface pro 2 with 250 gig for SSD but weight a bit.
    I was looking info the Spectre X2 but it look like 4GB only.
    The Vaio tap 11 is 4 GB also.
    The dell Venu pro 11 does not have i7.
    Also wish to play Aion on the laptop. HD 4000 seem enough : AION ON INTEL HD 4000 - YouTube

Thanks!

2. deadtorights

Anyone have have any advice for me ?

3. raptir

raptir Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not quite sure what tablet to recommend, but keep in mind that not all i5/i7 processors are created equal. For example, the Surface Pro 2 uses an i5-4200U (laptop processor) while the Vaio Tap 11 uses an I5-4210Y (tablet processor). The Surface Pro 2 will thoroughly outperform the Vaio Tap 11 if both are configured with an i5. I cannot find an i7 model of the Surface Pro 2, but even the i5 model would likely outperform the i7 model of the Vaio Tap 11. The Surface Pro 2 also has a better GPU than what would be on either Vaio model.

I can't find any tablets that run a laptop i7, so I think the Surface Pro 2 is going to be your most powerful option right now. Keep in mind that it does not have a true keyboard dock. The keyboard can be used in your lap but it's a little clumsy as you still need to use the kickstand on the tablet. Something like the Vaio Duo would be another option but it is not detachable and the i7 model is above your budget.

4. deadtorights

the cpu review does say it's better the i7-4610Y is better then i5-4200 : Intel Core i5-4200U vs i7-4610Y

but like you said the gpu is weaker then the surface pro 2 and of course 8gb of ram help on the surface pro 2.
    But i don't like bulky surface pro 2 tablet.

I guess I have to go back Bestbuy and check out the surface pro 2 again..

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you don't need active digitizer but just want a powerful, portable gaming tablet, why not purchase a Razer Edge Pro? Best GPU performance of any tablet BY FAR. Also has excellent touchscreen, and semi-normal battery life unless your hardcore gaming on the battery often.
    You can buy any passive stylus you want, (like the Wacom Bamboo Stylus solo | Wacom) since you don't need pressure sensitivity built in your good to go.

Still, if you want longer battery life go for the Surface Pro 2.