New T5010 sent for repair

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by adretzios, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adretzios

adretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

Just a cautionary tale. My brand new T5010 had to go for repair (and I had to pay the shipping fee) because it suddenly stopped displaying to the LCD (although continued displaying using an external monitor). According to the repair facility, the "cable from the motherboard to the LCD was loose". Although it seems that securing the cable solved the problem, I am not at all sanguine about quality now. What else may be loose in that machine?

2. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wouldn't dwell on it. Odds are, it was just a fluke, and by thinking about it too much you're going to drive yourself nuts... and you will start discorvering all sorts of flaws that, while they were there all the time, you will not be able to live with.

3. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

It sounds like getting it repaired wasn't much of a problem, which makes your experience better than most people have with other brands.

4. adretzios

I would not say this. I had to ship it myself and I had to find an appropriate box and appropriate padding as well. The full cost was $55.00. Yes, it was repaired quickly and send to me with 2-day Fedex but this service is well below what you will get with HP, Dell and Lenovo. These vendors will actually arrange to pick up your laptop (and they do provide containers).

In addition, one needs to wonder if it would be best to get an extended warranty from Fujitsu for $199. If things can come loose after such a minimum amount of use (one month), this extended warranty may be a must.

5. aretzios

aretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

And I spoke too soon. The laptop has to go back because now the screen does not automatically rotate and the tablet buttons are not functioning!

6. Grimnir

Grimnir Think tank & Designer Senior Member

aretzios,

you know...you could ask the forum here about your problems before having to send your computer back. I am sure we could have helped you troubleshoot the tablet not rotating automatically and the buttons not working. Sounds like a settings issue.

7. Dev1ant

Dev1ant Pen Pal - Newbie

Um...doubt it'll be right away though with HP, Dell, and Lenovo.

Have you acutally used these brands? You would've spent an entire day with either of them on the phone finding someone who you can.

1. Actually understand what they're saying
    2. Them actually understand what the problem is.

Well, unless you're with HP's business line, don't expect much service.

But HP's consumer line, Dell consumer line, and Lenovo (who could care less...have you seen the ordering fiascos lately? Type in "x61t scorching hot" into google and read their problems with just ordering), you end up talking to an outsourced tech who take forever to answer because they're busy searching for the answer in their "flow charts".

I find my time is much more valuable than "$55". And indeed, it seems more or less a settings issue. You wasted time sending it back in again.

8. adretzios

No, it was not. I am hardly computer naive, I have been assembling computers since the early 80's and I have experience with every OS out there. In fact, I did reload the drivers and the utility for the buttons but there was no sign of life. I did go through all the settings. The buttons were simply dead. If there were loose cables to the screen, is it too far beyond comprehension that other cabling was loose as well?

9. adretzios

Yes, I have used all these vendors. I now have actually two Lenovo Thinkpads, a T42 and a T61. I have owned at least 3 HP-Compaq laptops and 3 Dell Latitude laptops. Fujitsu and previously Asus were my first foray outside the main vendor group. None have lived to the dependability and quality of the main vendors. The Asus R1F was a very finicky machine and the Fujitsu T5010 (at least the one I got), has quality issues.

The Fujitsu technical support is not very good. In fact, I think that it is populated mostly by persons that do not have a long experience in computing or in customer support. Thus, things that may be correctable by phone end up being returns for repair. At least, they are responsive.

10. Grimnir

Grimnir Think tank & Designer Senior Member

I didn't mean to infer you were computer illiterate or anything of the sort. I apologize if I did.

I find it odd but not terribly surprising that there are some quality issues out there, even with good brands. I think every single computer company has a few unhappy customers here or there. Perhaps you can tell Fujitsu that they are really ruining your "customer experience" and that you would like their help improving it by reimbursing you for shipping. Never hurts to ask.

Wonder why your cables were loose myself. Someone must have been slacking on the job xD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.