New surface pro dock WORSE than old dock

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 28, 2015.

1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yep I found out the hard way. Grab a SP3 dock for cheap, with the SP4 it runs 2 4k monitors at 60hz!!

2. agraham

agraham Pen Pal - Newbie

The "Surface Connect" interface on the SP3 and SP4 is actually one USB 3.0 connection and one DisplayPort connection together with power on a proprietory connector.

The new SP4 dock contains two 4 port USB 3.1 hub controllers to feed the USB ports and the Realtek Ethernet and Conexant HD audio chips.

It also contains a DisplayPort splitter chip to split the single DisplayPort to feed the two Mini DisplayPorts on the dock. This explains the lack of bandwidth that limits dual 4K displays to a 30Hz frame rate.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/danchar/arc...k-teardown-brick-shaped-dock-for-sp3-sp4.aspx

Kumabjorn likes this.
  3. spinedoc77

So that means the restriction on bandwidth on the SP4 dock is hardware related and we should expect it to never work with dual 4k displays? Man, I better go out and purchase some SP3 docks before they go out of stock. Why would MS go backwards like that? Granted dual 4k monitors are probably not the norm, but I'm sure we will see more and more. My 4k monitors were about $399/each for 28" (and they are currently on sale for $319 at BH), not cheap but not exactly exorbitant either. I used to pay way more for that for a 9" CRT back in the day. The SP4 dock is what's expensive IMO, for that overpricing I'd expect to have full dual 4k bandwidth.

4. agraham

agraham Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't see what good that would do. the Surface Pro 3 dock merely passes the DisplayPort signal on the SurfaceConnect signals through to the single Mini DisplayPort on the Surface 3 dock. It should behave just the same as a single 4K display connected to a MiniPort connector on the Surface Pro 4 dock, though I personally don't have a 4K display available to confirm this.

The only advantage a Surface Pro 3 dock seems to have is an extra USB port over the four on the new dock. However the new dock has 4 x USB 3.0 ports whereas the old one has 3 x USB 3.0 and 2 x USB 2.0 ports and lets you use the kickstand to get whatever angle you want.

dstrauss likes this.
  5. spinedoc77

What it allows is 2 4k monitors at 60hz, which the SP4 dock cannot do.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Thunderbolt 3...just sayin'

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, after being solid as a rock with the SP3, the dock turned to crap with the Surface Book - disconnecting/reconnecting every few seconds until reboot, then it would start all over again in a few minutes. Ran across a work-around: go to Device Manager and for every USB device uncheck the ability to turn off the USB device to save power - now I can't wait to leave my SB in my briefcase and watch it go up in flames...oh well, decisions decisions...:rolleyes:

8. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hope the SB works out for you. If it doesn't, consider going with a good desktop machine and an S3 as a companion device. I love the S3.

9. musli172

musli172 Pen Pal - Newbie

Guys, I'm thinking of getting the new dock for my SP3. After the Intel Driver updates and the 01/19 firmware update, does everything work ok? I am mainly interested in the multi monitor setup, running two 1080p displays, as well as the SP3 display.

10. musli172

musli172 Pen Pal - Newbie

anyone?