New surface pro dock WORSE than old dock

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm VERY disappointed in the new surface pro dock, I bought it with high hopes it would reduce some of the wiring mess I have in my office. My main gripe is with the displayports, hopefully I'm doing something wrong.

With the old surface pro dock I was running 2 4k monitors at full resolution, at 50hz. This was done by downloading the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel which allows custom resolutions, very easy to do. Both monitors run at 50hz, one plugged into the dock, one into the SP3 itself.

With the new dock if I plug both displayports into the dock, I can run both 4k monitors at full resolution, but only at 30hz each. 30hz is terrible, very laggy and not very good to use in real life. This was my main concern, as I wanted to plug in both DP's into the dock which would be hidden, and have less wiring on my desk. Now plugging one DP into the dock, and the other one into the SP3 was a bit better, one could be run at 50hz but the other one maxed out at 38hz, not great and it meant I had one big wire sticking out of my SP3.

Results with the SP4 were horrible: The new dock: with both DP's connected to the dock one monitor got full res at 60hz, but it refused to display on the 2nd one at all, just no video signal. With one DP on the dock and the other one out of the SP4 itself only one monitor worked at 60hz, the 2nd monitor would occasionally flicker the desktop but it was very grainy and seemingly an issue with not accepting the refresh.

The funny part is the SP4 with the old dock worked awesomely, it drove 2 4k monitors at full resolution and at 60hz!!

My last gripe is the connector from the dock to the SP3/4 is the magnetic one, and if I even look at my SP wrong it loses the connection. Mind you sometimes the white power light on the connector stays on, but it still loses the connection if I so much as lightly jostle it. Not something that inspired confidence if I wanted to move my SP around a little bit.

Anyhow hopefully someone more technically oriented will jump in. I didn't have the Intel control panel installed on my SP4 so I might have gotten more mileage out of that, who knows. But as it stands, and especially because getting the Intel panel working is a bit wonky for your average consumer, I don't think the new SP dock is ready for prime time. Mine is going back, and I'll happily live with my older dock for now, maybe forever.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

It might not necessarily be the dock. Right now their video drivers is a mess. I have two monitors connected to the mDP ports, one in the dock and one to the slate. I also have a monitor connected through USB using DisplayLink. If the USB connected monitor is on then one of the mDP monitors turn off, if I disconnect the USB monitor them both works. This is a new bug/phenomena that I never had a problem with before. So obviously Microsoft has had some junior intern writing new drivers.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

3. spinedoc77

Yeah, the graphics driver seems very broken. I'm not a big fan anyway of the new dock, the magnetic connector sucks and I don't see much of an advantage. I'm thinking of selling my work SP3 and getting another SP4 so I can run both those 4k monitors at 60hz instead of 50hz.

I'm really surprised we've gone this long with no fix from MS, I think they are used to releasing beta software and beta hardware and are a bit oblivious to the consumer damage it does to their reputation.

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Maybe they failed in the implementation (probably too early to say with all the bugs floating around), but for me to even consider the idea of a dock it has to be like the new dock. Any dock that takes away the ability to continue to use my tablet as a tablet is completely useless to me. I'd rather just keep desktops parked at all my monitors.

In fairness though, I might just continue to do that regardless... but the SB definitely has me at least entertaining the idea of going the docking route.

Telstar1948 likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm not pushing 4k displays (just two 2560x1440 WQHD) but I LOVE the new dock over my old one. Obviously, I need my note taking function, and now it is very easy. Better still, I can leave the SP3 upright as a good third monitor when not note taking. This is what the dock should have been from the beginning.

Another point - I love getting rid of daisy chaining - it has served me pretty well, but once or twice a week it all goes haywire and I have to reset and reinstall screens, locations, and resolutions.

6. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Dale did you get the new dock already?

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Yep - it is great. However, I don't have, nor do I plan to get, 4k monitors. Mine is driving two WQHD (2560x1440) monitors like a champ and no more bulky sliding Rube Goldbergish device. Next year I expect they'll add either Thunderbolt 3 or USB 3-C.

soh5 likes this.
  8. Telex

Telex Pen Pal - Newbie

As of 11/6/2016 with newest insider Windows 10 and appropriate drivers, this product does NOT deliver. Not only does the USB controller not function correctly, it does not support dual 4k monitors as advertised. I have spent hours and hours with Microsoft technical support and they are unable to help me. I just called one last time, and they said there isn't even an ETA on it being fixed. I will change my review if their engineers can ever get the product's issues resolved. Until then, I would stay FAR away from this device. If I could give "0" stars, I would have done so.

spinedoc77 likes this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

@Mesosphere - well, I guess this answers your question.

10. spinedoc77

Yep I found out the hard way. Grab a SP3 dock for cheap, with the SP4 it runs 2 4k monitors at 60hz!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.