New Surface Models?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Bronsky, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

dstrauss and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  2. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There we go, I guess if the rumors also pan out true Samsung may have a few month advantage with the 845 cpu. CES and January in generally could turn out to be an interesting month product wise.

sonichedgehog360 and Bronsky like this.
  3. Bronsky

dstrauss and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

It is such exciting news to finally see this all being unveiled. With that, I hope a sub-11-inch tablet or a zero bezel 12-inch tablet also hits the market. Hitting 12-hour battery life or better at 1-pound or less with a 10- to 11-inch screen should be easy.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  5. Bronsky

Yes. The HP is too large for me. I want a 10" tablet with a kickstand. I use my S3 quite a bit with the kickstand and no keyboard.

If they do make a Courier, they should make it dockable. It would be great to have a foldable courier-like tablet that also doubles as a desktop in a dock.

6. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Wouldn't it be nice if we could get an 'a la carte' tablet industry, like the old PC industry of old.

Back in ye olde days, when it was time to get a new PC I'd take a trip down to my local PC shop and specify the components I wanted. I'd pick out a tower, a motherboard, a video card, a graphics card, RAM, a cooling system etc etc.

Why is the tablet industry not like this? We all sit around hoping that the manufacturers will magically divine the exact configuration that we want and produce if for us. There are some freaks that want teeny tiny tablets, and other freaks (like me) who want big 20 inch monsters. Why is this even an issue?

My hope is that this new ARM initiative could stimulate a-la-carte tablets. Since they run cold enough to be fanless, the thermal engineering of the tablet might no longer be a critical aspect of tablet design. With that out of the way, wouldn't it be possible for us to assemble a tablet from kit parts? Pick a screen and digitizer, a matching enclosure, some ports, a bunch of battery packs etc? If your frankenstein tablet won't die because of poor thermals, maybe a do it yourself tablet industry is suddenly viable. ?

With ARM guts, maybe i'm just a few hours of CNC milling away from the 20 inch 4k art tablet of my dreams! Except where oh where could I source a 20 inch 4k screen with a matching digitizer?

7. negative1

negative1 Scribbler - Standard Member

maybe because:
    1) there are no real interchangeable standards for parts - ssd drives ok - motherboards no
    2) tablets were never made to be plug and play, and have too little size tolerances for parts, especially if you want thin ones
    3) there's no guarantee a set of parts would work with other ones you get - back to the problems of standards
    4) it's not worth most peoples time and trouble to pick out the parts unless you know what you are doing, it's easier to just buy a preassembled one

if you really want to experiment, try find broken or for parts tablets, and start with that.

a lot of tablets have all their parts glued together so be prepared to expect that.

i don't see this ever happening, there was an attempt to make modular phones, and it failed miserably also.

later

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

5) because when everything is trapped inside a big inaccessible chunk of glue, you can ask your customers to pay $500 extra for a couple of extra gigabytes SSD space.

9. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I still can't believe there isn't a 7-8" Andriod, iPad or Windows tablet with a pen and LTE. As soon as that happens, I'll ditch my Surface 3.

10. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Microsoft's Surface Pro turns 5 amid rising competition and faltering sales
    Microsoft's tablets once led the way, but innovation has slowed in recent versions.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3254235/tablet-pc/microsofts-surface-pro-turns-5.html

It's time MS move on with drastic changes to all aspect of future surface line.
    Totaly agree.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018