New Staedtler Noris digital jumbo stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Marty, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh sweet. I'd imagine the release of the Wacom One certainly helped....given Wacom made a big push about using 3rd party pens like this.

As much as liked the Norris Pencil.....the lack of an eraser...thinner nib....and its slim....snapable profile (as mine did snap in half) put me off from buying a replacement....but a thicker one that hopefully won't snap as easy....and the backend eraser makes this an instant purchase for me.

HeavyHanded and nnthemperor like this.
  3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

THIS IS GOOD NEWS.. I LOVE my Noris for drawing on my old Samsung tablet NotePro (which is getting a bit too long in tooth for me now) and my new Note 10+.
    I'm snatching this thing as soon as its available! eraser? more ergonomic (fatter)? I'm innnnn

nnthemperor and WillAdams like this.
  4. stoneseeker

WillAdams and Marty like this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Neat, especially for an 'EMR-cheologist' like me. ;)

And on a note about compatibility, some might be wondering why even have a chart at all if all Wacom UD EMR pens/devices cross-compatible?

Well, there have been signs that some newer UD pens might not be backwards-compatible with older UD devices. Check out this video @2:23:

The Boox Note Pro stylus works on the newer SuperNote, just as you would expect.

But the SuperNote stylus (which uses a newer/custom UD tech that I detailed here) doesn't work on the Boox Note Pro. (And Note Pro isn't even that old, being released only last year!)

So it looks like Wacom is increasingly pursuing differentiation in licensing their consumer EMR tech, possibly leading to a very different EMR landscape in the future.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    WillAdams likes this.
  6. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up Marty. I love the Noris digital, nice balance, weight and long! Will likely buy the new one too.

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I love the eraser!
    The jury is still out on the rest of changes...I love the dimensions of the original staedtler as is

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah....the switch from Hexagon to Triangle worries me. Also I have one minor grippe with the new design........where as the original perfectly mimicked the feel and smell of real pencil.....for the the thicker one with the eraser....I hate that oversized black tab separating the pencil from the eraser...I almost wish they offered a (smaller) eraser on the regular sized pencil but with the more traditonal looking metal/silver piece the eraser attaches to.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  9. stoneseeker

I love the fatter triangle ergonomics personally. Normal pencils cramp my hands up way faster than a wacom pen or fat triangle pencil. Regular thin pens and pencils are terrible ergonomics for long sessions IMO unless you have really small hands, I've never understood why its the standard. If I could take the ergonomics of the fat axiotron modbook EMR pen (broken now, RIP) and the sensitivity, polish and accuracy of the Staedtler I would be in heaven.

WillAdams likes this.
  10. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you tried removing the Staedtler Noris Digital electronics (it's a slim black cylinder) and mounting it in some other device? I put up a photo of it removed and it's similar in size to many pen refills, so should be easy to do so.

I've actually considered making my own body on a CNC --- if you'll let me know the weight and dimensions of the Axiotron Modbook pen I could try to duplicate that.

stoneseeker likes this.