New Slate 2 with Atom Z670

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by e-schreiber, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I'm not impressed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. sjaywu

sjaywu Pen Pal - Newbie

I second that. They're just benchwarming until windows 8 comes around.

My ideal tablet that HP should make would be:

screen size anywhere from 9.8 to 11.0 in.
    1366x768 resolution is an absolute requirement for good win. 8
    4 gb ram (come on guys, it's dirt cheap these days)
    A ULV Core i5 processor is ESSENTIAL. no mucking around with atom.
    thinner and lighter, some design evolution is essential.

I've essentially described the Samsung series 7 slate, a much better windows slate. That's what HP needs to start with.

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

16:9 resolution is only good for landscape mode. I hardly ever wrote on paper in landscape and don't use tabletpc's that way either. 16:12 is optimal for portrait mode note taking but 16:10 is an alright compromise.

The Oaktrail Atom series is limited to 2GB; Intel needs to fix that and it is not up to the system integrators. An I5 in this machine would not be advantageous at all with the battery size limitations. We would be back to 1.5 hour battery life the 'old days.'

You may find this machine 'lacking' for what you want to use a tabletpc for but others think it is a great form factor. If you like the Samsung 7 then by all means get one. But from a 'business machine' perspective, the Samsung is a consumer product. You can also pretty much get two of these now for the price of the S7.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So all that's different...

1. Single Core Oak Trail Atom....clocked lower then the current Slate
    2. A pre-installed Swype keyboard....which could probably just be easily installed on the current Slate.
    3. $100 less.....which is nice, but they could have just dropped the price of the current Slate.
    4. Extra Hour of "claimed" battery life
    5. Slightly better camera
    6. No textured back

"Yawn"

So no Wacom, no IPS/Gorillia Glass, and no built in 3G.

Yeah...somehow I don't think there will be nearly as high a demand for the Slate 2 as there was from the Slate 1.

The only remote interest to me is the very very minor and small possibility that N-trig will fix its worthless wintab driver.

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Dan - I disagree that the Samsung is not a business machine. The A04 with TPM is most definitely a Business Class Machine.

6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Looks like that "rare" model a fellow user picked up is the Slate 2. Wow, why can't they just give us a dual core cpu? It would put them ahead of the competition(at least the Q550 and that Atom Motion Tablet).

I also think that for the price HP could have at least given us a 60gb ssd instead of the 32gb standard.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ok, the main page has a hands on look at the Slate 2.

Apparantly 3G is optional. Not so much a selling point for me, but I now some who would very much like that as opposed to USB dongling.

But one thing that is quite interesting is the new Keyboard/Case. I know Bronsky is gonna love that, since he's been asking for such a combo for a while now. And since the Slate2 is pretty much the exact same dimensions as the Slate1 (except Slate2 is thicker), the Keyboard case should work just fine with Slate1. I wonder if its via Bluetooth or makes use of the pin connection port on the bottom of the slate?

Although having owned the Eee PC T91...lets just say that using a 8.9 inch keyboard isn't exactly comfortable by any means. But its still a welcome addition.

8. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

The keyboard case uses bluetooth ...

Rick (Shanghai)

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Keypad folio is exactly what I've been looking for.

[​IMG]

I'll be getting one as soon as possible. Any idea when we will be able to order one? Thanks Rick, it's perfect. @darkmagistric - luckily, I have small hands.:D

Since the oak trail "upgrade" is not enough to entice me to trade in my slate, looks like I'll be keeping my slate until W8 devices start to ship. I'll need a care pack but 1 year will do.

Rick, will there be a cigarette lighter charger? BTW, I think I understand better my confusion about the care pack choices. Is there a care pack option that covers batteries and the pen?

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/258624-post5.html

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/258634-post7.html

Will current slate owners get the benifit of software upgrades like the new on-screen keyboard (which looks remarkably like our aftermarket ones). And, do we dare to hope for an NTrig driver update.

Most importantly, are you living in Shanghi now?

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I guess I'll just continue my clock watching and wait for the Win8 tablets to sort themselves out. If MS delivers on a good Office-ARM experience, that may be the ticket to longer life but geat compatibility with our office files and systems. I can't see why an iPad-size Win8 system couldn't deliver 6-8 hours of usable battery life, and still let mwe work with real docx and xlsx files, while browsing our network shares. There's the holy grail gentlemen.

If HP can squeeze a server into a 5W ARM system, surely they can come through for us on the tablet side.