New Skylake ThinkPad Yoga 260 & 460

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pen user

pen user Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I am happy to report that the pen on the best buy version (skylake 20FY0002US) is fairly good - it is definitely better than the pen on the Surface Pro 3 (I haven't got a chance to try the Pro 4 yet), very close to the old Wacom EMR. You will notice some slight artifacts and jitter close to the edges, but overall I am very satisfied. I do think the included pen is too slim - it is not as comfortable to hold as the SP3 pen. Definitely order the big pen if you need to write a lot of stuff.

I am a little disappointed with the screen though - the color is way off and looked washed away (just like my old T410), I haven't had enough time with it so I don't know if this can be calibrated somehow. Touchpad is not as good as old ThinkPads but still better than competition; I found myself using the track point a lot, like in the old days.

2. delimeat567

delimeat567 Pen Pal - Newbie

The dGPU is what keeps me coming back to this machine. The 2-in-1 is a nice feature - but not really necessary for my work. The only other computer I could see myself buying would be the ASUS UX303 - but it has that disgusting "Smokey Brown" color.

Granted, I won't call myself a fashion expert - but when did black go out of style for laptops?

karpov likes this.
  3. brain

brain Pen Pal - Newbie

Thought I couldn't wait for the 460 and went to best buy to get the sp4 but the updated tpy 14 was on display... Looks really solid. Solid build, pretty attractive (surprising for a thinkpad) and very responsive. I know most people dislike it but I really want the wqhd display and LTE (already have the free 200mb a month sim from T-Mobile). Also the sp4 on display had a defective keyboard - still working out the kinks? The pen was pretty responsive, seemed up to par with my wacom digitizer with passive pen. But who knows how long we're gonna wait - already missed the October rollout? Another Lenovo employee said November but who knows.

4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I also went to BB and played with the TPY 14 (no pen). I agree- nice build, pretty good typing experience (although I prefer the travel and "bounce" of my x230t), nice trackpoint, very nice trackpad, etc. Pretty good sound system too. All in all, a nice device, and basically the same weight and size as my current device, but with a 14" screen. Shame the pen models haven't appeared yet.

I've tried the SP4, and while the pen is better, it doesn't really hold a candle to EMR for me. The build on it is fantastic though. A beautiful device. I wish it had a clamshell dock and a better pen input option. Oh well, perhaps this new 260/460 generation will answer that desire.

brain likes this.
  5. pureAXIS

pureAXIS Pen Pal - Newbie

Any news on when the 260 will be available? The press release say November but so far we only heard of the 460.

6. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For what it's worth, I believe I saw a SIM card slot when I had it apart. It's toward the back. I remember thinking oh, that's the SIM slot, I wonder why they don't have the opening on the back for it. Anyway, not sure if it's disabled or what, but pretty sure it's there on this BB model.

7. TruenoGT

TruenoGT Pen Pal - Newbie

If you're not convinced by the SP4 digitizer vs. EMR, unfortunately you'll feel very similar about 260/460 (or AES in general). Other than the rubberized tip on the SP4/SB, the writing/drawing characteristics are very similar.

Still knocking around my new AES Yoga 14, and while the pen is not selling me on itself, I LOVE just about everything else about the device. Screen, form factor, build quality, dock option (though not available yet), acoustics and price are all pretty impressive. Totally sold on the folding form factor. If it wrote close to as well as my TPT2, I'd keep it for sure, but I'm still waffling.

8. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My thought (hope) is that as the technology progresses, drivers and stylus choices will increase. By next spring I'm thinking there should be some progress on this. That said, I'm super happy with the stylus performance.

9. TopScales

TopScales Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone else gotten the "your display driver stopped responding and has recovered" message on their yoga 14?

10. pdjmwj

pdjmwj Pen Pal - Newbie

Wanted to update those who may have read my previous posts, especially czm2000, on the issues I have been having with the ELAN touchpad / drivers. After 9 days owning I was ready to sell the new Skylake 14 on EBait because the touchpad was almost useless for two finger scrolling. I came home after work on the 9th day and gave it another try. I thought I had a new laptop. The scrolling seems to have "learned" how to act.

Very pleased with everything about this laptop now. Hope ELAN continues to behave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.