New Skylake ThinkPad Yoga 260 & 460

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arg0

arg0 Pen Pal - Newbie

Quick question: starting from what angle does the keyboard lock kick in?
    Can you lay the laptop open on a desk (180 degrees) and still use the keyboard?
    Thanks.

2. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes, you can. It doesn't begin to retract until it gets past 180 degrees. A couple of people have made videos showing how they like to illustrate in this format (one was posted somewhere on this thread I believe).

Sent from my GS7

3. werkkrew

werkkrew Pen Pal - Newbie

So I spent many hours reading this entire thread and I have had most of my questions answered, but I need just a couple things cleared up if anyone can assist.

I have the BB 460 or BBy14 whatever we call it.

I am planning to do the ram upgrade and I know which chip I am going to get so that's fine. With respect to the M.2 drive though:

Ideally I would want to have the M.2 drive be a boot drive and use a traditional large spinning disk in the 2.5" slot for photo storage as my primary use case for this machine is photography work. I keep seeing mentions of "it's not a good idea to boot from the m.2 drive" on this machine, which I presume is just because it's assigned in the BIOS as a WWAN card. So I suppose my first question is:

- Are people who upgraded to an M.2 drive using it as their primary boot device, or should I consider using it as cache / intel rapid storage?

My second question is regarding NVMe compatibility. There are a number of PCIe NVMe 2242 form factor modules out there, in reading the thread I got the impression that the primary reason everyone went for the SATA M.2 drive was due to not being able to use a 2280 size module. Can anyone confirm that the m.2 port on the board is capable of NVMe, or if it is strictly a SATA port. How is the port keyed?

4. Aralov

Aralov Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello. I've been following this thread for months and decided to buy a TPY460, which I've received today.

I have some questions regarding the pen:

1. I've noticed that the pen point is a bit loose, is that how it actually is or something is wrong with the pen I've received?

2. When I use the pen in tablet mode (360º) and the distance between the screen and the point is higher than ~0,8 cm, the dot that appears on the screen starts to move randomly all over it (specially around the edges) and makes me misclick. However, this doesn't happen when the pen is closer to the surface or when the TPY is in laptop mode. Did any of you have this problem? Do I have to install a driver to solve the problem or the pen is just defective?

5. harpseal

harpseal Pen Pal - Newbie

While I can't answer your questions directly (though I am somewhat sure the port is not NVMe capable I can't say it with complete authority) here's a pic of the inside of my BB Yoga 14. You can see the port on the upper left-hand side. Hope that helps.

If you can't see well enough, there are 5 pins on the small side of the keyed connector.

Attached Files:

6. werkkrew

Awesome, thanks for the photo! Seeing this makes me wonder if it wouldn't be possible to put a 2260 or 2280 in there and secure it down with something other than a screw...

Still trying to figure out the PCIe / NVMe part out, I will likely just order a SATA SSD and be done with it since we know that one works at least, and I'm guessing NVMe would out perform the CPU anyhow.

7. werkkrew

Sorry to double post, so if you are sure that there are exactly 5 pins to the left of the key, that means it is an M-Keyed M.2 port, which according to: https://www.kingston.com/us/ssd/system-builder/m2_faq means it is a PCIe x 4 / SATA port.

8. WolfHauser

WolfHauser Pen Pal - Newbie

Has nyone had issues with the wacom driver keep dropping out? Keep having to reboot and it's most annoying!

9. harpseal

harpseal Pen Pal - Newbie

Yup. 5 pins and 28 on the other side.

10. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I am currently dual booting on the BB460. I have a 256GB SATA III 42mm M.2 (the only one that will fit on the unit due to screw hole placement) and a 960GB SATA III 2.5" SSD. Both have their own Windows 10 on them.

I use the M.2 Win 10 for Penabled duties (meaning using the screen with pen using the Wacom driver for the AES while on the go) and use the 2.5" Win 10 for Cintiq duties. This is important because the Penabled driver and Cintiq driver don't play well with each other and will corrupt each other in time.

In the beginning, the dual boot didn't work well. The 2.5" would simply take too long to respond, as if it was having trouble waking up. So I simply used the M.2 as the boot drive. But a new driver month or so ago fixed it (SATA driver), so now I am booting back and forth without problem, and accessing each driver from other boot no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.