New Skylake ThinkPad Yoga 260 & 460

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Sep 2, 2015.

1. arg0

arg0 Pen Pal - Newbie

That will be 6 months from announcement to launch...

2. aFed

aFed Pen Pal - Newbie

So, I didn't see it asked and if it was, I overlooked it.
    1. Are there any prerequisites to installing a M.2 drive in conjunction with the original ssd or do I just screw it in the slot?
    2. I only want the drive for extra storage unless there is a significant gain in using it as a boot drive.
    3. Also, I saw that the ZTC drive was mentioned, anyone try the Transcend or the MyDigitalSSD, can anyone compare?

TIA

3. bitzdv

bitzdv Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got the transcend 256 when it dipped to $100 on Amazon, and it is faster then the stock drive by a bit. Just had to open the chassis and stick it in, my thinkpad even had a pre-installed screw to use. On first boot it wasn't detected, so I booted into Bios, and noticed that I had disabled WAN, once that was enabled, Windows could see it just fine after a quick format.

When I was in there, I noticed a SIM card slot, so with a WAN card, this machine should be able to do mobile internet. Also the connector for the fingerprint reader was present, and another connector I didn't recognize under the WAN slot

4. Jeroen

Jeroen Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone? Without a dgpu the 460 seems significantly less attractive to me. Perhaps the P40 (or something like the Surface Book) is the better alternative in that case.

5. olevelo

olevelo Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone had a problem with the Camera app not working? I get an error when I start it, seemingly a hardware error. In Skype the camera clearly works fine. But Skype says there's no microphone! I tried multiple combinations of driver updates and rollbacks, through the device manager and the current drivers listed on Lenovos support page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. spiff72

spiff72 Pen Pal - Newbie

Interesting update on my battery (which was at 99.8% capacity when i posted my original message):

Mine is now at 87% (45.86/52.49) after 21 cycles. I haven't been very good about letting it drain completely before recharging, and I haven't done anything with the settings that are supposed to limit the charging to extend battery lifetime.

Mine is actually plugged in right now and it says "87% - Not Charging" in the system tray right now.

EDIT: I am going to let it run until it shuts down and recharge and see if it behaves any differently.

7. FiDeLiuS

FiDeLiuS Pen Pal - Newbie

Definitely disappointing.they seemingly want to favour p40 sales. If the dGPU version won't come to Europe I really consider getting the X1 yoga or let me send over one of these BestBuy bargains.

...but chances are I might get something completely different..

8. spiff72

spiff72 Pen Pal - Newbie

After a discharge/recharge, it stopped at 92%, and this is the same value reported in the power status (48.18/52.49 with 22 cycles).

9. harpseal

harpseal Pen Pal - Newbie

It's Li-ion so you shouldn't have to do full discharge cycles. As a matter of fact, topping off is preferred. It is very odd that it isn't charging when at 87%. It should only not charge if you plug it in (from battery power) and it's already above 95% (if it's plugged in and below 95% it will charge up to 100%).

So your "full-charge" capacity actually dropped from 52 to 45? Wow, that's doesn't seem right. While my full-charge capacity had seemingly started a bit low at 48.29Wh is has held there and not changed, but I only have 12 cycles on my battery.

I don't think there are settings on this model to extend battery life. The battery is theoretically designed for 3 years of normal use/1000 cycles. Of course the warranty is only for one year unless you buy the extended warranty explicitly for the battery.

10. harpseal

harpseal Pen Pal - Newbie

So your windows battery meter shows 92% at full charge? That's even more weird. There is a "Battery Gauge Reset" function in the Lenovo Settings under Power Options and at the very bottom, below the Battery Stretch option (which is basically a low power mode). I haven't tried it so I don't know how it works or how effective it is. It may just reset your windows battery meter to use the 45Wh as 100%....I dunno.

I'd be curious what your Windows battery health report says. It's simple to run. You can learn about it here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/217010/how-to-generate-a-battery-health-report-on-windows-8-or-windows-10/

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016