New Skylake ThinkPad Yoga 260 & 460

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kirayamato26

kirayamato26 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes

2. Level27Geek

Level27Geek Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info. I am considering getting a small bluetooth keyboard to use it with yoga basically as Cintiq, with screen close to me and keyboard on the side. Using it as a laptop makes it difficult to draw with the pen when I have the keyboard in the way. So I am thinking of folding the yoga and having keyboard close to my left hand. I will probably use some kind of stand for the yoga to make it more easel like. I am just starting with digital painting and I am a bit on a budget so I think this setup will work fine for how much it will cost.

For tablet mode, I am now using Tootbar Creator which gives me all the necessary shortcuts I need. After some time testing it today it seems to work well...except of the palm detection problem...

I will definitely try that! Do you have any recommendation for the glove? I guess something thin, so my hand will stay nice and cool.

3. WolfHauser

WolfHauser Pen Pal - Newbie

I recommend the MS Wedge Keyboard. It's small and the lid is a friction hinge stand which I place between the screen and the keyboard section of the laptop when its folded back on itself. The wedge stand holds it nicely in place as you draw. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51elrEb4qOL._SL1000_.jpg

4. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

SharpKeys.

5. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

DoctorBunsenHoneydew Scribbler - Standard Member

That's really smart, wolf! I personally use a laptop stand behind the screen when it's in laptop mode, so that I can really lean into it. This one actually:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YKSRT4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_ka5Rwb928EJ1C

As for the glove, I prefer this. There's others made just for drawing, but I like this better. As its thicker, and does a better job blocking touch input.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005PFNSXG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_X64RwbAXEAK84

Level27Geek likes this.
  6. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Scribbler - Standard Member

I had both the Broadwell (20DM009GUS bought from Lenovo for $700) and the Skylake (20FY0002US bought from Best Buy for $749 versions). I didn't push the CPU on the Yoga Broadwell to see throttling, but I have a T450s and W550s and don't see much throttling in these systems. Batterylife is better on the Skylake version. I did not notice any ghosting on my LG display on my Broadwell.

The hybrid drive is where the seperate 16 GB SSD is moved on to the hard drive. It will not make a difference if you will be replacing it with a SSD regardless.

So if it were me, I would not invest in the Broadwell version. It's missing TPM (Security Chip), Display Port (besides HDMI), integrated pen (which I know isn't important to you, but you can still get a stylus for the Broadwell) and over a year old. I ended up returning the Broadwell and keeping the Skylake.

aFed likes this.
  7. Level27Geek

Yeah, the microsoft wedge was the keyboard I was looking at, it seems compact and sturdy enough. I was afraid that the case/stand would not be strong enough to support the yoga, but I never thought about putting it between the screen and the keyboard. That might actually work :) Thanks for the tip! I will be ordering the wedge soon.

Those look good and it would probably help prevent any carpal tunnel in the future. My only concern is the thickness. Is your hand not getting too warm in it?

8. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

For a KB you should look at something small and programmable like this: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G13-...8&qid=1454349780&sr=8-1&keywords=logitech+g13

I ordered the Wacom Express Key Remote, being this is a Wacom digitizer, I hope it works. https://www.wacom.com/en-us/store/other/express-key-remote

I have not had the palm rejection issues though, what program are you using?

Level27Geek likes this.
  9. Level27Geek

This keyboard looks great but for time being I think I will get a small travel keyboard, so I can also use it with my android tablet when needed. I might upgrade to a programmable keyboard once I get the hang of digital painting. Right now it is only a past time when I can get away from my graphic design studies (still at college). I was thinking about the Wacom Express, but it is a bit beyond my budget right now... but let us know how it works with the yoga!

As for the palm rejection, I was using Krita. I like it for the brush engine and the fact that it is free. I will do some proper tests tonight in Photoshop and Manga Studio to see if Krita is to blame. But I think it is user error instead ;) Before I got the yoga I was using either mouse for quick vector work or a monoprice tablet for more complex stuff, so I might need to learn how to work on cinteq like setup.

10. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

You can download a trial of Manga Studio. They run sales on it on a regular basis. I think I paid $88 dollars for the full EX version. It also has line smoothing built in. I was looking at this as a laptop stand, might be nice if I want to lounge out a bit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...26RIZ5HEMJJ91&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.