New Skylake ThinkPad Yoga 260 & 460

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

Same opinion as the guy in post 155. For me, the stock EQ settings were pretty terrible, but you're able to get a good sound when you play with the EQ. They are pretty loud and I haven't had any issues with the speakers getting blocked (since they're on the bottom outside edges). It's not like the speaker placement on my Thinkpad Yoga 12 that's up by the hinges.When I flipped the screen around in "presentation mode," the speaker became muffled since it was on the underside.

2. harpseal

harpseal Pen Pal - Newbie

It's because your notebook entered hibernation mode after being in sleep mode for a length of time and therefore you are resuming from that instead of sleep, so you are seeing the BIOS startup screen. You can change the hibernation settings in the "change advanced power settings" menu. I set mine to not hibernate if plugged in (for faster wake times) but to hibernate after a couple hours of sleep when on battery power only. Hibernation uses up much less power than even Sleep mode...nearly none.

3. harpseal

harpseal Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the speakers are fine. For an ultrabook they are probably pretty outstanding. The Dolby function and the EQ functions do make a big difference.

4. LightC

LightC Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm having these two issues with my best but yoga:

1) SD card reader intermittently works. It seems if I put pressure on the left side of the device, it will connect and stay connected for a while before losing conection to the sd card. One of my sd cards got corrupted from this
    2) The trackpoint and mouse buttons seem to work intermittently, I'm not sure why it just stops working suddenly

I picked up the laptop from best buy on January 14 so I think I may be out of the return period. Is there any chance that the above is a driver issue? Everything else seems to be fine.

Also, this yoga was manufactured in December 2015 so I was hoping it would not have the quality control issues as earlier builds.

5. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the same build but shipped from Best Buy without those issues. Let me ask you, have you tried a total restore? The SD card thing sounds physical the way you describe it.

6. silverwolf0

silverwolf0 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been hearing about some people getting the thinkpad yoga 460 (aka thinkpad yoga 14 skylake) from best buy for 699? When was this and why weas it so low? Will there be a sale again? Because it is currently 999.

7. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

"Hearing" where are you hearing this? There was a one day Sale a while back that some took advantage of but short of that I haven't read or heard of another. You are?

I don't feel it would be possible for those on this forum to speculate about another since I think we were all surprised by the first one...correct me of I'm wrong.

Level27Geek likes this.
  8. Level27Geek

Level27Geek Pen Pal - Newbie

Today I tried some digital painting with the laptop and had run into some issues with palm rejection. Many times before I start painting, bjt put my palm it registers a dot or sometimes a line from where the palm is resting to where the pen touched the screen first. Bare in mind that I am just learning digital painting (I am using photoshop mostly for photo manipulation and use illustrator for many other things - both do not require repetitive strokes like digital painting.), so my technique can simply be bad. I am also using Krita as my digital painting program right now, but I am pretty sure this issue exists on OS level, not the program.

I have used the above quoted app, but I still want to zoom and move the canvas with the fingers (usually with my off hand), so as it is now it doesn't really work for me. Is there a chance you could make it so it creates a toggle button (either in a window or on taskbar) that allows to quickly switch between the two? Or does anyone knows of any software that will allow me to create such floating button by using the two executables provided by @DoctorBunsenHoneydew?

Does any one else have a problem with palm registering strokes when using the pen? I guess I should hover the pen before I lay down my palm or something, but so far it seems a little unnatural to go pen first. Can I adjust the hover distance somehow maybe? Is there a some kind of technique digital painters are using to avoid that? I heard of some people wearing a glove for painting - do you guys think it is a good idea?

DoctorBunsenHoneydew likes this.
  9. aFed

aFed Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I have read all 152 pages of this thread and feel like this TPY would be an awesome upgrade from my current laptop (1st Gen i3 Samsung laptop). However, I am a frugal shopper when necessary and have to ask some advice from the people in this thread whom have experience with the older Broadwell version.

Currently the Broadwell version(20DM009GUS) is $750 and the one with the hybrid drive (20DM000VUS) is $770
    right now at Best Buy. Those would save me a great deal $$$ as I don't really have a need for the stylus or the writing utility. What is everyone else's opinion of the rest of those machines' redeeming qualities? I would like the dGPU and the full HD screen. The aesthetics are kind of the last things on my list, so that doesn't really bother me. I haven't really seen anyone really trash the previous versions. To me $250 worth of savings could buy some more RAM and SSD. I would be mostly using it to brush up on my coding and programming with the occasional game or two. I also noticed a lot of people here use these machine for art and writing, but I value those opinions as well.

1. How is throttling with the Broadwell chip?
    2. How much different is battery life?
    3. Any ghosting on the previous generation?
    4. Any issues that plague these particular models?
    5. Should I opt for the hybrid drive or is it not worth it?

I must add that there aren't any stores that carry any of the TPY 14s anywhere near me so taking a drive to see one is out of the question.

Thanks to any who take the time to respond, I know I am asking a lot.

10. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

DoctorBunsenHoneydew Scribbler - Standard Member

perhaps this isn't the answer you're looking for, but I made this because I believe there are two ideal use cases:

1) A mode like every professional Cintiq Workstation I've ever seen in practice works: no touch at all, pen input and a full keyboard. This is how every artist I know who draws on the screen for a living does it. The touch controls, while novel, get in the way and cause the input errors you mention so everyone I know disables them. I call this mode "laptop mode"

2) a sketchbook mode with no keyboard, but with a pen and touch interface. You know, like an iPad or whatever. Photoshop and manga studio work naturally for this, but most others imo are a novelty at best in this mode, because they near-require keyboard input. I call this mode "tablet mode" (this also happens to be the default windows 10 behavior), and personally use it only when have the tablet folded backwards for freehand painting.

Of course there are other possible use cases, like having the laptop open like a normal laptop, and then using pen, touch AND keyboard, but I find that the touch often misfires like you experience, and anyway anything you can do with touch you can just as quickly do with a keyboard combo + pen.

And yeah I personally wear a fingerless glove, partially for the palm rejection, and partially to keep my hand schmutz from grubbing up the screen.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016