New Skylake ThinkPad Yoga 260 & 460

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

I am having an odd problem in Photoshop CC. I cannot pinch to zoom or rotate with my fingers. When I try it just kind of goes off screen. I also get extreme cursor offset but believe that is the Wintab going out on me since I can fix it in Manga Studio by choosing tablet pc instead of wintab.

Anyone know how I can fix this photoshop thing? Its laggy as hell too in PS.
    Edit: Had to go to Edit -> Preferences -> General. In the General settings options, there is a check box that you need to make sure is checked: "Zoom with Scroll Wheel."

Any idea how to enable rotate?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  2. SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Pen Pal - Newbie

OK so it turns out i have a minor gripe with a design decision on this laptop. The 2 contacts in the pen silo are extremely fragile and if they catch on the ridge near the end of the pen, they can bend up. I recently glanced down the silo with a light and noticed one of the pins was bent up about 3 mm, which is significant. I also noticed that when i pulled the pen out there was some resistance near the end where the contacts are catching on the ridge on the pen. This is a big issue for me as I am a student and frequently need to annotate pdf files in lectures many times a day.

I have a temporary solution where i put a piece of tape over the ridge. In design of the pen, they should not have put that ridge at the tip. I may later try and fill this ridge or turn it down on the lathe (a bit extreme).

I am thinking of going as far as purchasing another pen and leaving the one that comes with the laptop safe in the silo as a backup.

Does anyone know if the Lenovo Pen Pro 2 is compatible with this digitizer tech? I tested my surface pro 1 wacom pen and it was not compatible. As far as i understand this uses a new wacom tech.

Anyone else experience the fragility of the pen silo contacts and catching of the contacts on the ridge near the pen tip?

3. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting. That may also be true. I've also experienced that behavior, but just assumed it was the Lenovo battery life extender software which I've always just left on with all my ThinkPad's.

4. czm2000

You can't use the old Wacom EMR tech pens with the new Wacom AES tech. The SP1 is Wacom EMR.

Yes, that new ThinkPad pen should work. I have the ThinkPad Pen Pro and it works with mine, so I'm thinking the 2 should also work. I mean, why wouldn't it, right?

I have not experienced the issue you're having, but have heard at least two other instances where it's happened. So you're definitely not alone.

5. AJR

AJR Pen Pal - Newbie

One should be cautious with playing with "battery saving" software. Although not a battery expert, lithium-ion batteries are a bit fickle. They are quite a bit different from other battery types that we have dealt with over a lifetime. Early designs with minor faults resulted in voracious fires. A very small battery can produce a very big fire.

The following article describes some of the variables that affect performance:
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/01/economist-explains-19

Overcharging Li-ion batteries is NOT good. I have wireless earphones that have a charger to keep 2 batteries charged. I noticed one day that the additional battery was difficult to remove from the charger. Upon removing it, I discovered that the battery pack had swollen to the point that it was opening the case! Kind of scary! I disposed this guy immediately.

"Battery saver" software might become "Home saver" or "Office saver" software.

Personally, I will keep my "Battery Saver" enabled. Thank you, Lenovo.

6. czm2000

Far from "playing with". You can simply select to allow Lenovo to optimize your battery by extending it's life, or not. It's not like hacking it or over clocking your Processor or GPU. It's and end user option. I would never recommend messing with a battery or battery software outside of what the manufacturer offers as end user options.

7. harpseal

harpseal Pen Pal - Newbie

Found it. From the ThinkPad user guide, pg 36:
    "Note: To maximize the life of the battery, the computer does not start recharging the battery if the remaining power is greater than 95%."​

I do not think this can be disabled, it is in the hardware, not a software "Battery Saver" package like ThinkPads used to have or may have in other models.​

czm2000 likes this.
  8. WolfHauser

WolfHauser Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, yeah I paid about $815 including delivery off ebay. All in all I probably spent around £660 (the older spec one is like 900 quid here) which I'd still consider a bargain - given what you're getting. A machine that is proving a lot more productive, consistent, powerful and functional than my SP3. I really wanted to root for SP4 or SB but the price and lack of a configurable pen with hover click and no dedicated graphics on the SP4 with talk of more throttling made me sell the SP3 and go for the Lenovo. I couldn't handle the small form factor/crippled performance trade off on the SP3. I also think the high dpi display f'd up my vision a bit. So far, I haven't looked back.

Tea and crumpets likes this.
  9. Shankapp

Shankapp Pen Pal - Newbie

There's a new driver for 460 pen released last week. I'm using my cell phone to copy and paste the link so it may not work. I googled " lenovo.com 460 20FY" . There seem to be some other new drivers perhaps even a new version of the wintab driver. Thx

10. Shankapp

Shankapp Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.