New Skylake ThinkPad Yoga 260 & 460

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

DoctorBunsenHoneydew Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry, was in a rush. I disabled the "Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service" in the Windows Services menu. It conflicts with the Wacom ISD service, which I did not disable.

More Info:

- All pen/pressure functionality seems to be intact after disabling this.

- For me, Alt+ primary click drag slammed the CPU, resulting in a .5 second system freeze before input was registered. Occasionally, a sustained alt+drag would crawl the CPU so badly that the cursor lagged behind by a few seconds. Disabling one of the services resolves this issue completely.

- Be aware that disabling the Touch Keyboard service disables the windows 10 on screen keyboard as well. You can still use the Older windows OnScreenKeyboard, however, so you're not totally boned.

- I suppose you could also make a simple .bat to toggle the service. I'm just going to leave it off.

Attached Files:

czm2000 likes this.
  2. kirayamato26

kirayamato26 Pen Pal - Newbie

Around 1 W to keep it spinning and ~3 W to do work with it if I recall correctly. When the entire laptop draws <5 W at idle, that's quite a bit.

3. harpseal

harpseal Pen Pal - Newbie

You can also wake the machine by pressing the "Fn" button.

czm2000 and LightC like this.
  4. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

Weird. I primarily use Manga Studio, and was impressed at the accuracy. And that's coming from a desktop cintiq user.

I think this might be a matter of how you are trained to draw. Like for example I've been trained to not do a lot of fingertip motion, and instead rely on arm motions. That might be why I don't run into these issues, but others might.

5. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've been using the Fn key to wake my ThinkPad's for years. It's all I use when waking from sleep. I guess I took it for granite and assumed that's what most did. But now that I think about it, it's probably not so well known.

6. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Most people should know that, it's sedimentary knowledge.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  7. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

Manga Studio has built in stabilization. My lines are a ton smoother in MS as opposed to Sketchbook pro or Photoshop CC.

czm2000 likes this.
  8. Tea and crumpets

Tea and crumpets Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the info. That's less than what I expected but I remember you saying that you had bought yours for well under the BestBuy price: Looking at the tax I'm guessing you purchased it for around $750 (delivery included)?

9. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

I made a quick app called LapTab to quickly put the 460 in two modes:

"Tablet Mode" is the default mode. Everything works like normal.

"Laptop Mode" disables touch hardware and Touch Keyboard And Handwriting Service. That means you can use it more like a cintiq on Windows 7, where touch doesn't register, the keyboards don't pop up, and Alt+drag doesn't cause input lag.

USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! It's not my fault if this screws up your pooter.

https://mega.nz/#!mAtzhDgS

decrypt key is

!1GTOxFfxlN0xRcUlA8KvY4-pdd2LJy3KpFHUJ_WH2jI

INSTALL:
    1) unzip the folder to wherever you want
    2) Move the DevCon.exe file to C:\Windows\System32
    3) Run the "LaptopMode" shortcut when you want a keyboard+cintiq type experience
    4) Run the "TabletMode" when you want the default Ipad type experience.

Not sure if everyone has the same hardware ID for touch, so it'll be good to hear if it works for others as well.

10. harpseal

harpseal Pen Pal - Newbie

So looking at my battery info in the Lenovo Settings app, under power status and then the "more details" button, I get the following tidbits of info (among other things):

Design Capacity: 52.55 Wh
    Full Charge Capacity: 48.29 Wh

I also confirmed these numbers (wasn't surprised they were the same) by using the following command at a command prompt and opening the specified file:

powercfg /batteryreport /output "C:\battery_report.html"

I got my Yoga 14 (aka 460) from Best Buy on the day of their lowball $699 price (minus $70 thanks to a 10% off coupon I had)...so the 14th of this month. So according to this I am starting out with about an 8% deficit in battery life right off the bat. What numbers are other people getting? Is this just the norm for this battery? I'm not specifically complaining about my battery life, I think it does pretty decent, but I'm just wondering if it should be doing even better, at least brand new and before the battery wear. 8% could be another 35 minutes or so.

Otherwise I've had no real issues with my unit and have been very happy (especially for the price I paid): decent screen, good keyboard, good trackpoint and pad (though I seldom use the trackpad), good pen, no driver funny stuff, ports all work well, hinges okay and silent.

I will say this though, I've never experienced it at this level, but the outside of this thing really is a fingerprint magnet...holy cow!! And they don't come off easy either. Same for the screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.