New Skylake ThinkPad Yoga 260 & 460

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kirayamato26

kirayamato26 Pen Pal - Newbie

Indeed, availability is a big issue. I'm Canadian, and had to wait until I came to the US to purchase it. The US and Canada are often considered 1 warranty zone and I called Lenovo to make sure I'd have warranty in Canada. I think from past experiences, Lenovo's ThinkPad warranties tend to be international and they'll service it at a local depot, but I could be wrong or that could have changed.

So uhh... I don't think the Lenovo parts lookup is accurate. The as-built option lacks a lot of information, but the parts seem accurate. Battery is Panasonic (Sanyo), keyboard is Chicony (well, this one I don't know for sure, but having had 3 units, I can say with certainty that one of the 2 available "equivalents" feels a lot better than the other one, and Chicony tends to be the best one historically).

The SBOM only option shows that I have a Samsung display (nope, this definitely isn't the Samsung one, it doesn't show the PenTile matrix at any angle, it also isn't antiglare), a LGC battery with 1 substitution possible (I guess this isn't a lie), and a Toshiba SSD (I have a LiteOn).

Edit:
    As far as materials go, I feel like the lid is some kind of metal (has that cold metal feeling + the WLAN antenna are in the plastic strip at the bottom of the display), and the base unit is plastic of some sort (CFRP?). According to the Best Buy in store ad, there is a roll cage in the bottom and what is probably what the magnesium part is.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  2. Tea and crumpets

Tea and crumpets Scribbler - Standard Member

I will have to look into that. If I can get a product of theirs from the US serviced in the UK as if it were bought in the UK I will probably import the 460 and be done with it.

3. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

DoctorBunsenHoneydew Scribbler - Standard Member

You know, it might have been a pricing error where they mixed up the old tpy14's and the new "460" tpy14's. They look almost identical on their own site.

4. spiff72

spiff72 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes - that is what I was thinking - they marked down the wrong SKU, making the new model less expensive than the older one.

5. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think it was a pricing error. Best Buy does have 1 day sales to move product.

6. kirayamato26

kirayamato26 Pen Pal - Newbie

Pricing error or not, all the physical stores within 250 miles of Manhattan were sold out before end of day, which means that at the very least this laptop got quite a bit of publicity.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd004172

It would appear that I stand corrected. The 20FY Yoga 14 only has warranty coverage in Canada and the US. The 20DM Yoga 14 (last gen) has international coverage, and so does the 20DL Yoga 12. Interestingly enough, the Yoga 260 (which is currently shipping) does not even exist in the database, and the unrelased 20EM and 20EL Yoga 460 both have international warranty (20G1 and 20G0 Yoga 460 are not in the database either). I guess this is why the price is so cheap on the 20FY Yoga 14, they cut the costs on the warranty.

7. JFahrni

JFahrni Pen Pal - Newbie

Interesting thread. I downgraded from a Lenovo T410s to a Yoga 2 Pro about 18 months ago. Really not feelin' the Yoga 2 Pro. I thinking about picking up a ThinkPad Yoga 14 around Christmas time, but it was the older version that was still on the Lenovo site. I looked today and it's no longer listed. Using the link I have from the Christmas time sale takes me to a "SOLD OUT" page.

Glad I missed out, actually. I was unaware that the ThinkPad Yoga 14 discussed in this thread at Best Buy even existed (THINKPAD YOGA 14 - 20FY0002US). This version with 6th Gen Core Processor and pen support is much more compelling. Even at the $999 price point, it's still an incredible value.

8. Bewinxed

Bewinxed Pen Pal - Newbie

Do what I did, go to reddit.com/r/buildapcproxy , Those guys will buy it for you, and test it according to what you tell them to, they are pretty proficient, and they will ship it to you using your preferred shipping method =)

As for warranty, Lenovo does provide international warranty, Check here:
    https://support.lenovo.com/ae/en/documents/pd004172

Go with the reddit guys, I just had mine checked by a guy from there and it's on it's way here :), All checks out hopefully, it's a free service but you're welcome to tip them~

He picked it up from the store, and also got the price match so i saved another 200$, woot~

Oh! and I didn't get the trendmicro antivirus from them! I got webroot instead, which is fine too :>

Kosmow and ivanahtannica like this.
  9. VariableSpark

VariableSpark Pen Pal - Newbie

What program would you guys recommend for testing newly installed RAM, to make sure everything is working properly?

I installed a stick of 16GB and everything seems fine (and Windows sees 16), but just want to be sure.

Edit: Running the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool. If that comes up clear, then am I good to go? Or should I test it with something else?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  10. fb1996

fb1996 Pen Pal - Newbie

VariableSpark likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.