New Skylake ThinkPad Yoga 260 & 460

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kirayamato26

kirayamato26 Pen Pal - Newbie

Lenovo is usually pretty good with their ThinkPad line. I know someone who just had the screen, camera, mic assembly, and planar (motherboard + CPU) replaced on an original ThinkPad Yoga S1 (gee, they should've just sent a new one out). All the stores in 250 miles of NYC are sold out, not that they carried that many in the first place.

Edit:
    I wonder if Best Buy is just trying to get rid of all the stock they have on hand and bring in a new model or something (maybe same thing, but actually called a Yoga 460). Doesn't really make sense for them to discount it this much this early into the lifetime of the model.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  2. bitzdv

bitzdv Pen Pal - Newbie

I was kind of wondering the same thing as well, a $300 price drop on something like this a few months into its life seems crazy. Hopefully it is to make room for another configuration.

3. ivanahtannica

ivanahtannica Pen Pal - Newbie

Is it really that difficult to get a unit with no issues whatsoever? I feel really nervous now considering I'm buying from overseas and it would probably be impossible for me to return the product once it gets here. I had it checked by my friend in the US though. But what if the problems don't occur right away? I believe he only tested it once using the test specs I gave him.

It really seems like a good deal for $699.99. I just hope I got a working one.

Bewinxed likes this.
  4. bitzdv

bitzdv Pen Pal - Newbie

My issues were apparent right out of the box on both, quality control must have been on vacation (or laid off) the week that my 2 were made, so I'm sure your friend would have spotted similar issues, pretty hard not to.

Just because a few of us are having issues, doesn't mean as a whole they are junk, us squeeky wheels come out of the woodwork more often then those with a standard experiance on tho internet to talk about it.

ivanahtannica likes this.
  5. kirayamato26

kirayamato26 Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope, seems like it was just a 1 day sale. I'm amazed that they actually did a price adjustment on a 1 day sale.

I'm sure the vast majority of units have no problems with them, otherwise it wouldn't have a 4 star rating on Best Buy considering that people with negative experiences are more likely to spread it to the public. A few of us (myself included) just got unlucky and needed multiple exchanges.

ivanahtannica likes this.
  6. Level27Geek

Level27Geek Pen Pal - Newbie

It is not. I have been lurking here for a week or so and after reading the whole bloody thread I got one on the weekend. It came in yesterday and I was testing it left and right. I have to say, it is one of the most hassle free laptops I had. Everything worked out of the box without issue since yesterday when I received. Now I am stress testing the battery. This is the first computer that I actually left some bloatware on, as the lenovo settings software is kinda handy. Usually I am the "grumpy old man" who likes my PCs as close to vanilla as possible.

If someone picks it up for you, ask them to check the pen (charging, pressure sensitivity) as it seems to be one of parts that people have problems with and it is imminently obvious. Same for the card reader. Then do some stress tests for battery and processor (high end games are good for that) - see if nothing overheats. If they won't see any faults after all this, I would say it's good to go. All other faults (like screen issues or keyboard) could be easily detected as a part of those tests.

The only thing I would change about it is the included pen. The buttons on it are hard to reach and difficult to see. I would love them to be a different color - red perhaps. I will definitely pick up another pen in the near future.

ivanahtannica, AJR and JoeS like this.
  7. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow, didn't know this was a one day deal. Glad I ordered. Hopefully I dont have issues but for the price, you can't beat it.

8. Tea and crumpets

Tea and crumpets Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, I guess it has been decided for me then! I was concerned about something going wrong when I receive it as I wouldn't be able to get it fixed but I was going to ask one of my US friends if they could buy it for me anyway. Ah well.

BizyB75 likes this.
  9. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm thinking that $699 was an error. Either way, I was thinking it wouldn't last long and did the price match asap.

I don't see any reason they would make it cheaper than last year's model then increase the price back to the original price within 24 hours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

10. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My thought was they did it on the wrong model. They've had so many variations of it. I think 3 or 4. The original with no pen (I had that), then the original with the new AES tech. Then that one only with the updated video card. Then this most recent one. If I'm recalling all that correctly. Kind of crazy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.