New Skylake ThinkPad Yoga 260 & 460

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tea and crumpets

Tea and crumpets Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't have much experience with 3D modelling but I do know those programmes care more about the CPU than a 2D design one: how much of a difference it would make and if it would be noticeable in real-world use is not something I can comment on though.

As for the resolution, personally, I hate anything above 1080p. Extra pixels sound nice on paper but what's the good in that if you cannot see or read what's on the screen?

czm2000 likes this.
  2. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

DoctorBunsenHoneydew Scribbler - Standard Member

As a broad rule, Zbrush is generally CPU bound unless you're running an Intel GPU or large resolution canvas, and then it's GPU bound.

All other 3D programs are typically GPU bound, unless youre running a ton of individual objects in a scene, and then the CPU is typically the weak point.

Basically you need as much as you can of both. :p

Tea and crumpets likes this.
  3. kirayamato26

kirayamato26 Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh look that's me. I'm probably going to go return the laptop and get a new one on the weekend, actually. What ended up being the deal breaker for me is that if I press my H key in the top left part it'll make a clicking noise and feel kinda weird when I let it go. This is very disruptive to my typing. :p

Edit:
    Kind of scary how quickly these things are running out of stock though. Good thing I'm in NYC and every location is pretty close by.

Edit 2:
    Does anyone know why Lenovo set such low thresholds for thermal throttling (75 C on GPU, ~80 C on CPU) for this laptop? I remember on my W520, there was no throttling until like 82 C on the GPU and 97 C on the CPU. On my current desktop replacement, a MSI GE62, there is no throttling until 92 C on the CPU and 92 C on the GPU.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    czm2000 likes this.
  4. nivram

nivram Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the BB version the only TY460 coming out? What happened to the i7 option?

5. Bewinxed

Bewinxed Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I'm pretty technical so i know what the requirements are, but was looking for actual real-life performance of those on this specific processor.

Anyways, I think i'm pretty much sold, I'm gonna buy this one, new, with express shipping cause i can't wait >w< I can't wait to get back to drawing!

6. Bewinxed

Bewinxed Pen Pal - Newbie

ibmthink said it might be out this february along with the P40, the TPY460 will have WQHD option as well as 16GB RAM option + i7 but not sure.

7. ivanahtannica

ivanahtannica Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, everyone!
    I've been following this site and the forums for quite a while now (since 2007 actually) but I've finally decided just now to sign up just so I can tell you guys I bought this laptop on sale for $899.00! :) And I thought $999 was already cheap. :eek:
    It was actually on sale before but I lost that one since I was a bit indecisive. Anyway, it's still on sale now if you're interested: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...lack/4456400.p?id=1219749486129&skuId=4456400. I think the sale will end this weekend.

Also, I can't comment yet on the laptop because I actually had it shipped to a friend who's currently in the US and will be returning to the Philippines mid-January. I asked her brother to set up the PC for me and test the product using the Test Specs I formulated based on the issues discussed in previous posts. So, thank you so much to the vocal ones. He says there are no issues so far. :) *crossingfingers*

I'm really hoping I found The One.

soh5 likes this.
  8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

It is nice when you find something you've been looking for high and low and then get it for even less than you expect. I once found a pair of Jimmy Choo for $50 in a second hand shop and they weren't even worn once. In my mind the owner got them from her boyfriend just before he broke up with her (or maybe he cheated on her) and she decided never to wear them and gave them to Goodwill or something.

Best of luck with your find!

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

ivanahtannica likes this.
  9. brain

brain Pen Pal - Newbie

After having a computer with WQHD, it's hard for me to go back. I love crispy text - did have a lot of windows 10 scaling annoyances.

10. ivanahtannica

ivanahtannica Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.