New Skylake ThinkPad Yoga 260 & 460

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tea and crumpets

Tea and crumpets Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, that's the correct one.

Some people may have only used low or high-end laptops before and some people may have only ever used low or high-end desktop monitors previous to the TPY 460; I think that will be down to your own judgement and experience and something you can only know when you have it in your hands. From what I can tell the screen is "fine": Good and usable but nothing to shout about. However until I see it in person I won't know if I will like it or not.

2. Bewinxed

Bewinxed Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks so much, for someone who isn't in a hurry would you advice buying this one now for its very good price or wait for the 1440p i7 version? Will it make a difference in terms of hobbies production on after effects and zbrush?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. WolfHauser

WolfHauser Pen Pal - Newbie

The screen is fine - I haven't really noticed any difference between that and my SP3 apart from it seems to ghost a little bit although I've noticed this less recently so perhaps I'm used to it or its sorted itself out. It's bright, the colours and sharpness seem good - I haven't really felt constrained photo editing and such. I'll take another look tonight and maybe do a video side by side with the sp3 - not too sure how much you would be able to tell but might be useful. Resolution wise I think 1920x1080 is great for this screen size - Windows dpi scaling is hit and miss for me - my eyes certainly feel less strained using the 14" form factor at the res. I was worried it might be too big but I think it's just about right - just wish it was a 2:3 screen ratio but you can't have it all!

4. Bewinxed

Thank you for your feedback kindly! Have you tried it in after effects? Zbrush? Photoshop?

5. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't think they do the kind of testing you're talking about. Especially since half the time I've read that the existing Windows accounts weren't wiped. The best kind of open box purchase is one that was returned simply because the item wasn't t what the original purchaser expected. But that's not always the case and there's no way of knowing for sure. There are several instances of people buying an open box only to find out something was actually wrong. For example a user on this thread bought what seemingly seemed like a perfect open box version of one of these only to find out the SD Card reader is faulty. Something that clearly Best Buy did not try and quite possibly why the previous buyer returned it. Now, that didn't seem to bother the person on this forum so much, and they preferred to keep the savings and just buy a USB SD Card reader. But I'll tell you right now, that would have been a deal breaker for me. So, I guess the best thing to do if you're wavering is buy the open box one and put it through your own QA. If there's a little something wrong with it and you can live with it great. If it's perfect then even better. But if not, return it and go with a new one.

But I definitely wouldn't put Best Buy open boxes in the same category as say a Manufacturer Refurbished item which does have to pass a real QA test before being resold. Heck, and even I've had things get missed.

6. Bewinxed

It's not much different in terms of price, I just want to know which one has the highest chance of not being faulty.

7. brain

brain Pen Pal - Newbie

I can definitely say the surface pro 4 and surface book lead to some of the worst experiences I've had with laptops. If the BB TPY 14 had WQHD screen, I would have picked it up a while ago. I read a lot of PDF textbooks on the laptop. I know the only reason I want discrete graphics and 16gb of ram is because I like knowing it's there - I have a pretty decent desktop and there's really no way I would game on the laptop or do 3D rendering or video rendering. I could probably eek by with 4gb of memory, but I'm guessing like a few other people on here in the same boat, I am disgusted by computers with anything less than 8.

also, quadros aren't really for gaming. They're aimed more at corporations that have tons of money - usually have the same chips as the consumer level ones that cost way less. Sometimes they throw in larger video memory buffers with error correction... and a lot of other things that are over my head but I do know it makes it a little less prone to errors, more consistent and doesn't add anything important for anyone who just games.

8. Bewinxed

True, Chrome itself can eat up 4GB if it wants to, Also i think WQHD is coming in february, Is it worth the wait? this tablet at this price seems like a steal...

9. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

DoctorBunsenHoneydew Scribbler - Standard Member

I use a lot of zbrush. 1440p on 14" is about as dense as the original surface pro (208ppi). Usable, but you're going to strain the hell out of your eyes doing it at native res.

I'd personally go 1080, but up to you of course.

czm2000 likes this.
  10. i2000s

i2000s Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same confusion here on which one to buy/wait for. But for the stylus, I guess in the end, they are the same. But if you would like to upgrade to a Bamboo stylus, the Yoga P40 has been tested with the second version of Bamboo pen. Maybe all of these models will be compatible which I don't know for sure. See http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/lenovo-thinkpad-p40-yoga.68414/page-3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.