New Skylake ThinkPad Yoga 260 & 460

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi, yes I was able to overclock the 940M using a program called NVIDIA Inspector..

here is a guide on using it here: http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:NVIDIA_Inspector

and here is the download link: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/nvidia_inspector.html

It is really easy to do, just open the program, change your offset gpu clock and your offset memory clock. done.

My guess is that anyone should be able to do +135mhz on the core clock and min +150mhz (max 200mhz) (my GPU memory did 170mhz) on the memory clocks (every gpu is different) This adjusts the turbo speeds of the GPU. It also won't let you clock the core clock any higher than the +135mhz, so it would be hard to hurt anything. Many many people are using this method for the 940M in the popular ASUS zenbook x series

In terms of heat... this chassis w/ skylake isn't even close to getting overheated. The NVIDIA GPU drivers are also setup with an adjustable heat target. (default 75 degrees) it will automatically throttle back the clocks if it gets over that threshold, so heat is managed perfectly within the thermal window that the device was originally designed for, there is very little to worry about, just maximizes your performance. (I've rarely seen it get close to 75 degrees anyways.)

In terms of battery life... i never modify my clocks unless I am plugged into the wall anyways, so battery life isn't any different. (normal desktop usage isn't using the NVIDIA GPU anways) Nvidia inspector lets you create desktop shortcuts to quickly adjust the clocks from high performance to normal modes. (It also has per application settings you can configure, but I haven't even touched playing around with that. I'd rather just have global profiles.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    Bewinxed and czm2000 like this.
  2. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Awesome. Thanks so much.

3. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Thats interesting.... for now on my BB thinkpad yoga 460, the specification says DDR3 when I open it up in GPU-z / nvidia inspector

4. errorrpoxy

errorrpoxy Pen Pal - Newbie

Silver Yoga 460 coming out Jan?

5. greco

greco Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks again.might be a typo on their end

6. Roughneck

Roughneck Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not so sure that entering your unit's serial number on this Lenovo parts list web site brings up the actual hardware used in your specific unit.

I say that because when on the Lenovo web site, I get the same parts list whether I enter the specific serial number of my unit or just the model number. Either way, it lists the Samsung (SDC) display. But... when I look in the BIOS for my unit, it lists the BOE display, not the SDC display as being the one used in the build of my unit.

Bottom line is, I think entering your serial number on the Lenovo Web site brings up the same generic parts list as entering your model number. If you want to know what was actually used in the build of your machine, you need to check the BIOS.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  7. milehighmagic

milehighmagic Pen Pal - Newbie

OK! So, one more quick question for you all before I head out of the country. My wireless download speeds are pretty abysmal, like, 512k and less per second. Using other devices wirelessly on my router, download speeds are closer to 10m/s. Router seems to be working fine. As someone who doesn't know a whole lot about driver updates, is there a possibility that something just needs to be updated? I'm using Kaspersky (free from BB) for AV protection, didn't see any settings that might affect it. Apologies for the noob question, but appreciate any response.

Also, I did end up returning the first laptop, this one has no flickering issues!

CZM, thank you again for the comparison video, I'll be upgrading eventually!

EDIT: Updated the Intel wifi driver, no change :/

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    czm2000 likes this.
  8. greco

greco Pen Pal - Newbie

Merry Xmas everyone.my bb 460,is crossing the Atlantic hopefully it will land in the UK,soon.thanks to all for the good info in this thread

9. HionHiFi

HionHiFi Pen Pal - Newbie

I just picked up a 460 from Best Buy with a 256GB HD. I'm happy. Previously I had a few different tablet PC's which didn't work well for my use. This new 460 however is the business. It more than meets my needs with minimal compromises. The main compromise being it doesn't have the portability of a true tablet. Luckily I have a Nexus 7 for media consumption.

10. Tea and crumpets

Tea and crumpets Scribbler - Standard Member

Merry Christmas to you too and congrats on being post #1111!

I'm curious: Where did you buy that from? I also live in the UK and would love to know more about the total cost and source.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.