New Skylake ThinkPad Yoga 260 & 460

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

You need to check the box. By the UPC label there is a sticker that says what batch you have gotten.

mike_TPR likes this.
  2. soh5

@ibmthink Any idea on when the 460s with i7 will be available? How about the P40? I am willing to get by with a Dell 8" tablet until the 460 or p40 is deployed. I do wish it was a 3:2 or 4:3 aspect ratio, but I will live with 16:9 as long as I can have a stable machine.

I had another BSOD while detaching my surface book. I am going back to the Thinkpads, I just lost an hour of 10 NMR workups and pretty annoyed.

3. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

Yoga 460 and P40 Yoga are planned for a February release I think. i7 should be available right from the start.

soh5 likes this.
  4. soh5

This is for the USA correct? Any idea on the 260 with the i7 configuration? :)

5. mike_TPR

mike_TPR Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok and none of them is Lenovo "high end convertible" you mentioned before? Or it's the P40?

6. milehighmagic

milehighmagic Pen Pal - Newbie

First off...A HUGE thank you for all of the information in this thread. I'll be heading to BB tomorrow to pick one of these up. I've been searching and searching (and searching) for something that fit all of my needs, and this is most definitely the one for me!

Quick question, and I didn't see too much in the way of information in regards to it: writeit.

One of my primary reasons for purchasing this guy, is to use at work for filling out different CRM forms. The idea of being able to (in conjunction with my bluetooth headset) "write" notes in to a program is a HUGE selling point for me. Can anyone give me some feedback on the application itself, and how it runs on this laptop? Does it come pre-loaded, or do I have to find it somewhere and download it?

Thank you in advance, and once again, THANK YOU for all of the in-depth analysis of this machine. You all rock.

7. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The latest version of Writeit works really well. I can't speak directly to what you want to use it for, but for most of what I've used it for its does the job. The only thing I've found so far where it hasn't performed well was in a Google Docs Spread Sheet. It doesn't recognize directly in a cell. I'm pretty sure it's a function of that form. But it's worked pretty much everywhere else I've tried. And to use the sheet I can select the cell and just go up to the cell entry field up top. Or better yet, I simply use the built in hand writing feature that Win 10 comes with to complete that task.

You can download the latest version of Writeit from Lenovo very simply by visiting support.lenovo.com and typing 20FY in the system search field. Once you have, this model will be the only one that shows on the menu. Click that. On the resulting page will be all the latest drivers and software for this device, of which the latest version of Writeit is included.

milehighmagic likes this.
  8. milehighmagic

milehighmagic Pen Pal - Newbie

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you! To be honest, I haven't had a whole lot of luck with Google Docs on my work pc, so I'll have to do some playing around with it once I purchase...I'm an Android and Windows user, and would love to integrate this Lenovo into both my work and personal life.

I checked out the Writeit support from the area you listed, that'll be perfect! I'm going to take a look at your stylus comparison video when I have a few moments later tonight. Had a chance to play around with the store demo (and included stylus), so I might just leave it alone for a while. Thank you again for all of the info!

czm2000 likes this.
  9. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey all... regarding the BB 460:

16GB RAM WORKS!
    Confirming the 16GB ram worked posted in this forum.

512GB m.2 ssd 42mm Works!
    ALSO the 512GB Transcend m.2 42mm SSD worked just fine too. Here are the new read write speeds compared to stock:
    http://imgur.com/qUawyIi

*Don't mind that they both say 256GB in the image, I cloned the drive and just haven't extended the partition yet.

Not too bad, improvements in writing to be sure.
    Didn't do too much for weight savings. The stock ssd is very light. However I weighed in on a scale at 4.21lbs stock, now it is down to 4.1lbs

Undervolting CPU/iGPU
    Also... I played around with some undervolting.
    On the new skylake processors, thermals haven't been too much of an issue. Your biggest detriment to sustained performance is the PL1 limits applied to the cpu to fit within a power envelope. For the BBY "460" device, it is 15 watts sustained indefinitely enforced by power limit throttling.

The 6200U with CPU and GPU running full bore in 3D games (I forced the integrated graphics) pulls about 16-17 watts maximum. After running for a while, you could see little blips of power limit throttling pulling the wattage down to 15. Clock speeds stayed pretty much in turbo, but the GPU dropped down to toggling between 950 and 998mhz instead of full bore 998mhz
    After undervolting, I haven't really been able to push it past 13-14 watts, yet the clock speeds are at their absolute maximum. There are no traces of power limit throttling .

For reference here are my stable reductions in mv:
    CPU Adaptive Voltage Reference: -100mv
    CPU Cache Adaptive Voltage Reference: -100mv
    GPU Adaptive Voltage Reference: -80mv

Basically what I'm trying to say is that even without undervolting, this CPU/GPU basically runs full speed all the time, but undervolting gives it a teeny bit of an edge to stay in higher clocks. But the undervolt should save energy in the long run, especially since the clock speeds are capped. It won't just boost higher because it has TDP headroom, it simply can't run any faster so the undervolt especially helps battery life more than performance.

GPU Overclocking
    For the record, you can use NVIDIA Inspector to boost the 940M GPU. I boosted the core clock +135mhz and the memory clocks +180mhz... Got a few artifacts in games from the RAM overclock, so dropped it to +170mhz and things are stable.
    Performance increased 18-22% in games. This thing is now just as fast as the SurfaceBooks modified 940M GPU. I can now very comfortably play Ark: Survival Evolved on this machine at 720P / reasonable settings @ 30-50 FPS.

I especially like NVIDIA Inspector's feature of letting you create shortcuts... I have one shortcut to set GPU to stock speeds, and one shortcut to max out the clock speeds to the boosted rate. So when I run a game, I'll first run the "Max Clocks for Gaming" shortcut, then when I'm done, I'll click the "Stock Clocks" shortcut and no worries.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    spiff72, Dalkor, ininjame and 4 others like this.
  10. soh5

This is quite impressive cbutters. I am glad some people are better at manipulating hardware to test out certain things that we are all curious about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.