New Propad 600 and Elitepad 1000!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by mitchellmcd, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Pinkivy98

Pinkivy98 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just received my HP elitepad expansion jacket. I tried inserting the SD card in the jacket and it will not go all the way in. Is it supposed to stick half way out of the SD jacket slot?

2. BallstriKer

BallstriKer Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, newbie here. I'm sorry to bump this thread, but I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Elitepad 1000 G2. I have read through most of this thread, and I've got to say, it's had a major influence on my decision to go for the Elitepad (I was also considering the Dell Venue Pro 11 and the Lenovo ThinkPad 10).

The particular item I'm looking to buy comes with an offered USB adapter, as had been the case for other Elitepad owners on here. As I am currently browsing the HP website for accessories, before I do anything stupid and buy something I don't need, can anybody please chime in and tell if the offered USB adapter is a USB 3.0 or a USB 2.0 one?

I see HP sells both USB 3.0 (P/N: E8F98AA) and USB 2.0 (P/N: H3N46AA) Elitepad adapters. It would be great if the one that's included is the 3.0 one but somehow I doubt it.

3. BallstriKer

Nevermind, reading through the thread again I have found the answer to my question here. So for future reference, for those who might be interested, it ships with a USB 2.0 adapter.

By the way, these forums are some of the best I've had the chance to stumble upon lol. Very resourceful, and people are actually really nice and respectful, everybody seems to be minding their writing too, which as far as I'm concerned is a great plus and makes everything much easier to process. Just wanted to say a great big thank you to everyone I guess!

4. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Hello and welcome.

I can confirm that the USB adapter also passes through enough current to power a portable harddrive.

BallstriKer likes this.
  5. BallstriKer

Hi 2.0, thanks for chiming in! Do you mean the included USB 2.0 adapter? I have read a few pages back that the USB 3.0 adapter will power pretty much any external device, not sure about the USB 2.0 one.

The USB 3.0 adapter is €32 from hp (funnily enough, the best price I could find was from the hp online store), which really is quite a lot considering it is a simple USB adapter. I am torn between ordering one and considering myself content with "basic" 2.0 speed. Ah choices choices...

6. Mytabletacct

Mytabletacct Pen Pal - Newbie

Why don't you get the Microsoft just released surface3? It is faster has built in USB3, a nicer screen, better accessories and will probably be cheaper.
    I love my Elitepad 1000 G2 but have had a lot of problems with it. The pen isn't reliable and Hp Support was terrible. I've also had many other tech issues that required unit replacement. If your time is valuable and you hate wasting it on your equipment, get something else.

7. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I mean the included USB 2.0 adapter. It can power an external 2.5" enclosed USB drive.

8. asfletch

asfletch Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, so I've read through all 62 pages but haven't seen an answer to my question (apologies if I missed it).

Can the 610 G1/1000 G2 do virtualisation? Specifically, I'd like to know whether they can run DuOS from AMI (amiduos.com). If someone could try the demo version and let me know I'd be grateful.

EDIT: finally got my hands on EP 1000 - here in Aus hardly any retailers with shopfronts carry them. Found screen a little hazy displaying lighter colours, and there was noticeable backlight flicker (esp. after changing brightness). Thought it might be low battery or Intel driver's adaptive refresh rate setting, but it persisted despite my (and salesman's) best efforts and was also present in 2nd unit. Also the camera wouldn't start on the first unit (they were both new). Not what I hoped to find!

EDIT 2: I finally discovered that the display issues were due to the Intel display driver's Panel Self-Refresh feature - looks great once disabled. I did a lot of research on other tabs and narrowed my options down to the EP or Surface 3. Ex-demo prices of EP made the final decision for me, so I ordered one yesterday. Looking forward to setting it up, although I might force myself to wait until July 29 for obvious reasons!

A further question - it was interesting to read monty87's exp with the auto charger cord and external batteries...now wondering whether there's any way to charge and use USB data at once? I know the connector supports it because the docking station can achieve it. I'm guessing my options are either to buy the dock or mess around with splicing cables, but wondering whether there's a way I haven't discovered....

EDIT 3: Finally received my Elitepad and it's living up to expectations. Just in case anyone's still reading this thread, it runs AmiDUoS well (even allows you to enable VT-x in the bios, which is an advantage over the Surface 3!). It also runs Windows 10 fine, as expected. HP has even started populating the drivers page with W10 drivers, which is great to see.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015