New Propad 600 and Elitepad 1000!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by mitchellmcd, Feb 23, 2014.

1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

It is hard to know if a cover is needed in your work environment or not. If you are in an office I would say no, one is not needed. If you work in a shop or on a factory floor then I would suggest yes.

The screen is not easily scratched. It is hardened glass so it is pretty robust.

Regarding the jackets, the Expansion Jacket can be placed on the dock and both the device and the auxiliary battery will charge. This jacket does not have a cover but a snap on cover is available for it. It does get bulky when you put all three together.

The Productivity Jacket cannot be docked but it does have a cover as part of the jacket. The device would need to be removed every time when using this jacket to charge it up. The "Productivity Jacket" is the one with the keyboard.

There is also a stand-alone dockable cover that snaps directly onto the Elitepad. It is not a "jacket" just a cover for the screen. This is the lightest way to protect the screen.

Check out this thread for some more info and some pics:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/elitepad-accessory-reviews.63388/

2. Pinkivy98

Pinkivy98 Pen Pal - Newbie

My EP is for personal & home business use. I just want to be able to dock it with the sleeve(that has the extra ports) & protect the screen from scratching/cracking when I have it in my bag on the go or traveling.

Thanks for the link to the review. It helps to explain them in more detail. I had no idea that was a case covering the entire expansion sleeve. Do you know where I can get the case for the expansion sleeve?

3. dceggert

The good news is that this has been out in the wild since the release of the Elitepad 900 so there are usually some on ebay. Search for P/N H7A97UT and include descriptions in the search. Used ones occasionally pop up now and then.

If you want to buy one retail Google the P/N and see what comes up. Provantage.com may be a place to look into as I have found they are about the only ones stocking Elitepad stuff for a reasonable price these days. Everyone else seems to want more than the items are on the HP website.

One thing to watch out for with Elitepad accessories when browsing around; there are two of just about everything. There are items and then there are "smart buy" versions of the same thing for less money. The "UT" in the P/N signifies the item is a "smart buy" version. The items are identical except the "smart buy" versions are less expensive.

Good luck!

4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Lisa just posted her review on the 1000 G2(about 7 months late?) and she seems to like the pen, despite being a bit chunky. Her review for some reason almost has me sold on getting one. Right now still deciding between this, the Fujitsu Q555(which has two usb ports on the tablet), getting an 8in Encore Write and then a notebook.

Right now the HP is winning because of it's looks, durability and specs. How does the Atmel pen size compare to an N-trig pen? HP site right has 128gb model for a fairly expensive price, though the Fujitsu w/64gb and 4gb of ram(and maybe keyboard) is not much cheaper at around $600. Where is the best place(or ebay seller) to find a good price on the 128gb 1000 model? The prices on HP site almost have me thinking the HP X2 1101, with the Wacom pen and faster core m cpu.

5. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Provantage or Cost Central will have it cheaper.
    However, if you want stylus reliability, you may want to look at the X2 1101 G1. Wacom is better for reliability but so-so for edge accuracy. If the X2 were around at the time I got the ElitePad 1000, I would have sprung for the X2. The X2 is going to be faster (has a SATA SSD instead of an eMMC type), faster RAM and much faster processor. It will have a longer service life also.

The Atmel pen definitely has a nice feel in the hand. But it uses battery and can be flaky at times with regards to reliable inking. The battery lasts about a month.

Where as with Wacom, no battery and you can use any PenEnabled stylus with it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    bloodycape likes this.
  6. bloodycape

My n-trig based Thinkpad was using battery so I am fine with that. And for me anything will be an upgrade from Tegra 3. The thing with the 1101 for me is the price, special for 256gb with keyboard. Is the 1101 a business machine? If so, is it at the least semi-rugged? On the plus size the 1101 is only a little heavier, though not 16:10. :-\

7. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

The X2 is a business unit and is Mil-Spec like the Elitepad. The weight is a concern for me too.
    The Elitepad has a great screen. On par if not better in some regards than an iPad. So there's that. I haven't seen the X2 yet so I can't speak to the screen's quality. I can't imagine it not at least being on par with the Elitepad.

8. bloodycape

Well resolution isn't a big deciding factor as I value color accuracy, and better contrast. I think the Elitepad is 1.5lbs while undocked the 1101 is 1.75lb. I doubt I would notice it, but I may notice the size? So, I taken then the 1101, like the Elitepad can take a dip in water and be safe?

9. dceggert

The 1101 is also 16:9 while the Elitepad is 16:10. I suppose it all comes down to how often you need a keyboard. For me that is hardly ever. But, I use 'stand mode' with my Helix quite often. So another option may be to buy a 16:9 i5 or i7 Helix and get Wacom, stand mode, 128 GB+, and all for about $500 including a keyboard. That would hold you over a year or more until the innovation catches up to something beyond 2 years ago.

10. bloodycape

The helix is another option. I use the keyboard daily, cause my Yoga RT only supports that; but, if it had pen support I'd use it more. Part of me thinks get the 8in Encore 2 Write, and then wait and see what HP and other bring out next year. But, then in the back of my mind 2gb of ram isn't enough as I hit that limit on my RT all the time, and few Atom users have said the same thing. This then has me thinking ElitePad 1000 for the 4gb of ram(and 128gb of space). Maybe Ill go for the lightest/smallest 11in core m tablet with wacom or n-trig. 16:10 is preferred, but since i've been using 16:9(as my main machine) since 2008, i'd be fine with it as that's all im use it.