New Propad 600 and Elitepad 1000!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by mitchellmcd, Feb 23, 2014.

1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I have been searching for a replacement 'screen' for the EP1000 and have come across a few but they are listed as "LCD only." I assume that is supposed to mean no digitizer or top layer of glass.

If I recall correctly the LCD, digitizer, and top glass are all bonded together on the EP1000 for durability and regidity. I don't want to spend the money on a fleeting memory though. Does anyone remember the screen bonding thingy? Am I correct that there is only one piece? The service part list only carries one part so I do not see how someone could be selling the "LCD" only.

2. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

When I opened it a few weeks back, while it seemed to be one piece, there are at least two subsystems as denoted by an LVDS cable and a separate digitizer cable. There's also a connector to the home button that's on the face. It may be that all this is sold as one piece but HP has been known to bin screen assembly components as one part.

I posted up some pics of the innards which might help you discern what's what. It's in this section and titled "Inside the Elitepad 1000."

Best bet is to ask the seller for a representative or actual picture of what they are selling. Having taken apart other tablets, it's been my experience that the digitizer glass and LCD are separate components often stuck together with a tacky adhesive.

3. dceggert

Yup, the seller of the panel confirmed to me that he was only selling the LCD part and it did not have the digitizer or top glass. The top glass is what I need. The LCD and digitizer work fine. Maybe the digitizer and top glass is what is bonded together.

4. dceggert

I now have a new screen and digitizer on hand and will be attempting the repair to my busticated unit this weekend. Hopefully I do not break the new one trying to fix it!

Update: this was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I bought a suction cup lift handle at Home Depot and after taking the two screws out adjacent to the docking connector you attach the handle to the surface of the screen next to the edge with the black plastic and you give it an upward tug and it pops right off. Two ribbon cables make the connection and then the new screen just snaps back on. That's it!

Lessons learned:
    - get a smaller suction cup handle. Mine is 4.5" and made for lifting tile. If you have a cracked screen there isn't a lot of room to get a good seal. Something bout 2.5" would be better. Also, this thing put so much suction to the screen the surface glass cracked from the pressure. A smaller one should be better for that as well.
    - there are clips inside the screen on all edges to hold the screen to the body shell except the edge by the black plastic. That is why the screen pulls up easiest there.
    - my used screen had the tape on the end of the ribbon cable partially wrapped under the ribbon. It was enough to upset the connection by changing the angle such that the LCD did not work when I first tested it. Make sure this tape is out flat to the sides like it is supposed to be and press it down to keep the ribbon cable connection in place like the one you removed.
    - it is an easy job so if you crack your screen don't even think about it; get another screen and plan on changing it yourself in about 15 minutes!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    bloodycape, Mesosphere and 2.0™ like this.
  5. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Congrats on the successful surgery. Nice write up also.

dceggert likes this.
  6. Pinkivy98

Pinkivy98 Pen Pal - Newbie

So the EP 1000 can read the Expansion sleeve SD & micro SD cards at the same time?

7. Pinkivy98

How do you get the free Tmobile 100mb data plan?

8. dceggert

Yes, both are readable at the same time.

9. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

Dan, would you please PM me regarding locating a replacement screen/digitizer? Seems that a customer of ours was a bit too "adventurous" while trying to duplicate my pictures showing my EP1000 in wet conditions. Well, maybe it wasn't on purpose, LOL - his ended up at the bottom of a swing pool ;-) Anyway, after drying out, the device functions via video out - its just the screen is futzed...

TIA for any help you can offer!

-Randall Garrett-
    +Apex Software+

/end/

10. Pinkivy98

Can someone tell me if a cover is needed for the EP 1000 G2? Is the screen easy to scratch? I am trying to decide which Expansion jacket to get. I noticed the dockable jacket does not come with a cover. I prefer to be able to dock the EP without taking it out of the jacket.