New Propad 600 and Elitepad 1000!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by mitchellmcd, Feb 23, 2014.

1. jrichie

jrichie Pen Pal - Newbie

I am in the same boat and have made the decision of the TPT10 or SP3 and am not bothering with the Elitepad. It took a lot of thinking but the weight, design, Wacom and accessories tipped me over. I think the keyboard by lenovo is great and gets good reviews.

2. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, I finally found discount prices for students (provided by unimall.de). It is very hard to find (even google did not find it)! I am not sure if it is for students enrolled in German universities only, though.

Tablets - HP Store Deutschland

GREAT, I will go for the EP 1000 again at these reasonable prices:D

Are there no student discounts for HP USA?

3. fkp123

fkp123 Pen Pal - Newbie

If you have a price/ value point to consider (and let's face it, that applies to most of us) and connecting those peripherals on the fly is important, then certainly choose a device that gives you that. Sweet. By the way there is a microSD slot in the EP1000, and you can use dongles to get HDMI, USB. Granted they aren't as convenient; but technically you don't need a jacket to get that stuff going on the HP device.

While expensive when you add them all up together, I wouldn't consider the accessories necessarily as a hindrance or a trap. Rather they offer a level of unprecedented flexibility. I like the fact my slim elegant tablet can be turned into a laptop, or a desktop, or a tablet in a serious road-warrior configuration - when I want. I could spell out my daily use case to demonstrate the point but I'd bore everyone to death.

I'm still on the EP900 and seriously considering the bump up to the EP1000. The good thing is all my existing accessories are compatible. HP has effectively doubled the life of the investment I made with the accessories. Trapped would have been having to make the decision on upgrading to the next model and throw away all these accessories and start again. Not many other computing devices, mobile phones included, can claim to do that.

Just my 2c

4. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

This is exactly it...you nailed it. If you want a new device just mix the accessories different. From road travel to being my data taker at work, from displaying my PDF based teardown instructions for the furnace to reading a book on the couch, and from writing my books to sketching part changes on the shop floor, the Elitepad is a standout product with few competitors. You can take it where you need small and light and use it as a laptop later to type up a report if you need to. Convertibles with the attached keyboard are too heavy and bulky for comparable use. Hybrids (especially with their 16:9 screen) are too awkward in comparison.

I may have even solved my storage space issue. I said a few posts up that if I found a 128 GB version for $799 I would jump on it in a heartbeat....well, I found one for $889....just $90 more. So, they are starting to come down in price now so I feel better.

5. Daniel.H

Daniel.H Pen Pal - Newbie

Here is my first post after reading a lot of very interessting stuff here.
    I am evaluating for a Company different tablets. The first one I got was the HP Elitepad 900, which is a nice tablet but unusable with a digitizer.
    At the moment I have a Lenovo ThinkPad 10 and HP Elitepad 1000 for testing.
    Both are really nice devices but the biggest difference for me is the digitizer.
    The HP digitizer (HP Executive Pen G2) is nice but you have to use more pressure to get a nice writing.
    The Lenovo digitizer is perfect for me, it works like a real pen.

Are there are any hints for me what I can try to get a better experince with the HP pen?

6. willd

willd Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

New to the forum so first of all thanks for the wealth of useful info. I have had my Elitepad 1000 for a week now and a have a few questions (sorry if these are already covered but although I've read most or all of the forum I don't recall anything on this)

- the sound. Both my speakers and listening through headphones produces extremely tinny sound - has anyone else experienced this? I get better sound quality on any other device I have including laptop, Samsung phone and old htc's etc. Can anything be done to improve this e.g. new drivers etc?

- is the pen always purchased separately or has anyone bought this included? When I spoke to HP pre-sales I was led to believe that it was included, furthermore there's no 'what's in the box' section on the product specs on the UK site which doesn't help.

- the screen brightness keeps going dim at intervals - is there a fix for this?

Any prompt responses would be much appreciated as I'm contemplating a return. I love the tablet but the sound is so bad it's something of a showstopper!

Thanks in advance

7. zendragon

zendragon Scribbler - Standard Member

So I just won an Omni 10 from Technology Review. �� I've had it since Friday and I've got to say, it's making me rethink wanting an SP3 over a 610. I have been in Houston since Sunday on a short vacation, and brought the Omni instead of my laptop to see how I would fare. I have used it for light web browsing and reading daily, watched a couple of short YouTube videos and played around with a few apps. So far I have not charged it and my battery is just under 30% remaining. The performance is much better than I expected as well. The only problem I'm having is, no pen, and I want a better keyboard and case for it. I have an 8" Bluetooth keyboard that I had for my Flyer, but it's pretty cramped, and I actually find the onscreen keyboard to be a little faster. Also, the case I got is generic as there aren't many cases made for the Omni, so it's a little awkward to hold.

So, question for 610 users, if there are any. Have you found any keyboard cases that work well and fit the device tightly? Also, has anyone tried any art programs on it? The new bamboo paper app looks particularly interesting for quick sketches, but I don't know how it would perform with the G2 pen.

Willd, I don't know how similar they are, but I noticed my speakers are very tinny on the Omni as well, though they do get pretty loud compared to my phone, they don't necessarily sound as good. Also, I can change the screen brightness in my power settings to save battery it dims at certain intervals of non use or after longer battery use. You can extend the time or just not have it dim.

As far as I have seen, the pen always comes separate.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  8. strikerbird

strikerbird Pen Pal - Newbie

Guys, I got a question. How do you know when your HP G2 pen is running out of battery? Lately I fill the pen sometimes ''crashes'' and it doesn't work that well, and sometimes i need to press harder. Are these signs that the battery is low?

SB

9. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

How long have you been using your pen and do you have access to a voltmeter to check the battery?

The reason I ask is because I am on my third battery but my pen is acting like it is time to change it again. What I am finding, however, is that it is not the battery because it is 1.44V which is still almost new. I have pulled the nib out from the cone of the tip slightly and now it is working good again. Also try unscrewing the barrel, waiting 15 seconds, and screwing it back together.

10. strikerbird

strikerbird Pen Pal - Newbie

I have used it intensively this week. I have used it a bit 3 weeks a bit.

SB