New Propad 600 and Elitepad 1000!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by mitchellmcd, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

SB,

Yes, we have generally found PPC Tech's WriteShield and NuShield's DayVue screen protectors to work the best for OUR customers. As mentioned before, these particular brand/models are not necessarily the best solution for other use case scenarios. Over the years, we've seen more DayVue protectors installed on OUR end user's devices than those from WriteShield. I believe this is largely due to the much larger breadth of devices listed at NuShield (vs. PPC Techs) and the better (?) on-line order system at NuShield. I have had a long personal friendship with the founder of PPC Techs and they are "good guys" (which means a lot to me) but we have noticed more customers obtaining products from NuShield than PPC Techs.

Also, note that Antiglare and Antireflective are not necessarily synonymous with "matte." As screen dpi/ppi densities rise, it gets tougher to control the "rainbow", "oil slick" type effects when using a matte type film. Hence, some manufacturers have concentrated their efforts on other optical properties to control reflections, glare, etc. The DayVue screen Protector, for example, appears "clear" so typical users who are expecting a "matte" type film often assume they received the wrong item. Short of more adoption of Mirasol and/or Pixel Qi type screens, these screen protectors represent the most practical treatments which are commonly available today. Additional "nits" helps, but without corresponding attention given to glare and other contrast-type factors, just pumping up the screen brightness usually does very much to help the actual view-ability in outdoor conditions. Generally speaking, we've fond that around 400 nits is the optimal "starting point" for regular glossy consumer grade displays to have much of a chance to work even "OK" outdoors, but some displays which are in the 350 - 400 nits do better than 400+ nit displays which have little-to-no attention given to the other items which contribute to displays appearing washed out. Rick lightly touched on this in his post by mentioning the reduction of air gap, direct bonding, and the OCA.

I currently have several NuShield screen protectors and brought home 1 DayVue and 1 Antiglare (AG) for the HP EP900 and SP3 for testing. (The one for EP900 reportedly fits the EP900 and P610. I ordered EP1000 and they shipped me EP900 - doesn't matter at this juncture for me as I am not evaluating "exact fit" criteria today.) I am going to cut each one "diagonally" in half and apply them in a "split screen" fashion so I can compare actual (perceived) performance indicators on the EP1000, P610 and SP3 devices I brought home this weekend. Fortunately, I have bright & sunny conditions today, so I anticipate shooting some photos and I will push them up here for folks to gain what they can from them. I will also offer "touch and pen" degradation info (if any) but please realize that it is subjective and geared toward "note taking" type use vs. art-type factors. I suspect that, as usual, the photos I aim to upload/post will not properly show the amount of "improvement" (?) due to my limited photography skills, proper set-up, compression/reduction of files when uploading, etc. I will probably have to create a repository for the original files for more critical evaluations.

[Edit] Eventually, I'll probably have to break down and search out one of my DSLRs, but more likely, use this as an excuse to buy another one - a busy man such as myself can't be bothered to go find something he lost by his own carele***ess, LOL. I don't think the wife is buying into that logic, though... ;-) If I do buy another camera, does anyone here have any specific recommendation for which lens filters I should use for these purposes? Please, no camera recommendations (I have my own set of criteria for that decision) - what I need is lens filter recommendations.

Regards,

-Randall Garrett-
    /end/

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
    III.Jg27ADLER likes this.
  2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I would adore the opportunity sir! I am honored. PM coming up.

I have both the Executive Cover and the Expansion Sleeve Cover but have yet to adopt a Dockable Cover. I could most certainly compare all 3!

3. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

PM received, thanks.
    I'll send the Rugged Sleeve, too. It's a little tricky to get the tabs on the outer shell to line up just right, but if I can figure it out, so can you. I posted the instructions in an earlier post here.

-Randall Garrett-
    /end/

4. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

YOU....ARE...AWESOME!!! Thank you so much!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  5. f97anka

f97anka Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I just received my Pro Tablet 610 and the Executive Tablet Pen G2. At first the pen was very difficult to use due to heavy parallax effects as a result of my pen angle, but after doing the Windows 8 pen calibration, this effect was mitigated. I would now say it works fine in that respect, even though I wish the active part of the pen was further towards the tip of the nib. Also, the calibration does not seem to be possible to do for landscape and portrait independently?

Another effect I notice that I can live with is that diagonal straight lines are somewhat rippled. The hover distance should be larger, but I think I will learn to cope with that as well.

However, my biggest gripe with the pen is the minimum required pressure for the pen to register. Just to click at anything requires considerable pressure. Is there a setting in Windows to lower the threshold value for tap clicking with the pen?
    Even more problematic is taking notes, as the needed pressure exhausts the wrist/hand in the long run. For example the dot on the i almost never registers the way I write, and I don't think I am a particularly light writer. Writing normally, most of each character register, but important parts are often skipped.

I assume the problem is in the pen, and that the experience should be the same with the Elitepad 1000, but perhaps there are variations between different HP pens?

I am considering returning the tablet for this reason and trying the Lenovo Thinkpad 10 instead, since the Wacom pens' minimum pressure is supposedly much lighter than for the HP pen. I'll play around with it some more though to see if I can get used to it.

EDIT
    I did try an Asus Vivotab Note 8 and a Samsung Galaxy Note 12.2 in the store to compare, and found that both registered lighter, but the Asus had various strange behavior and the Samsung was a bit uncalibrated. Noting on the Samsung was quite nice - light touch possible, smooth straight lines etc - but I think the HP is good too, except minimum registered pressure and perhaps smoothness of diagonal lines.
    /EDIT

/Anders

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  6. gmich

gmich Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had pretty much the exact same experience you describe. One thing that helped considerably, in OneNote at least, was to turn off pressure sensitivity. File --> Options --> Advanced, and then uncheck "Use pen pressure sensitivity." It made inking much better, but still not as smooth as on the Thinkpad Tablet 2, in my opinion. As for navigating with the pen outside of OneNote, it doesn't change things--lots of pressure still needed. Seems to be part of the technology of the Atmel pen.

I'll be returning my 610 anyway--it's defective. Four days running it won't come out of sleep/won't power on after charging overnight. It finally does power on/come out of sleep (today it took over an hour) and the battery was already down to 82%. Weird. Overall, it's a well-built tablet and performance is good, but the I wasn't crazy about the pen, and it doesn't do me much good if it won't wake up/power on.

7. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

8. dceggert

Yes, I understand the frustration. As 'expensive' as the TPT10 has been touted the 128 GB version of the EP1000 is prohibitive. For instance, here in the USA a Surface Pro 3 with 256 GB SSD is the same price.

I bought a 64 GB to replace my 64 GB EP900 back in April and it is a fine machine but there is less SSD space in teh 1000 than there is in the 900. I was intending to buy a 128 GB and it looks like I need this sooner than later...I have the typical Windows evaporating space issue where every update consumes the drive. I am at the point where I am deleting programs to make space. That stupid WinSXS directory was supposed to be self-managed in Win 8 but it is bloating up with every patch MS releases.

So the 128 GB EP1000 is finally available now (announced in January!) but $1009 is steep compared to $671 for a 128 GB TPT10. Basically I can buy the 128 GB TPT10, the desktop dock, the snap cover, and the keyboard for $980 total. So it comes down to what the choice really becomes here for me since I have a lot of the EP accessories already....

1. buy the 128 GB EP1000?
    2. keep deleting programs to keep the 64 GB EP1000 alive until the EP1100 is available?
    3. switch platforms and buy the 128 GB TPT10 and start over?
    4. something else?

It is a terrible situation to be in. After all these years MS still has a self-consuming OS that was supposed to no longer be self-inflating but it is. I am officially out of space!

So now the question is what would I lose switching to the 'other platform':

1. all-day+ battery life with the aux battery in the Expansion Sleeve
    2. Full size HDMI in the Expansion Sleeve
    3. VGA output in the desktop dock
    4. the fatter, easier to use in the hand, pen
    5. being able to power the DVD drive from the USB port
    6. USB 3

What would I gain:

1. more SSD space to put my stuff back on (the only real issue solved)
    2. no more battery in the pen to deal with (not really a very big deal)
    3. smaller and lighter because there is no Expansion Sleeve (but I can just pull my EP1000 out of the sleeve and have the same size device now so this is not really an advantage)

So really it is only an avenue to get to 128 GB for less money for me. I wait for the 128 GB TPT10 to become available and get some review time under its belt....then I can figure it out.... I like the EP1000, mine works very well, but there is a hole in the EP1000 offerings. If there was a 128 GB EP1000 for, say, $799, it would be a no brainer. Maybe the answer is to just wait until they are being dumped and get one then...we shall see!

9. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I wouldn't make any difference as youll likely get a new Tablet PC by the holidays. Personally, I find the total lack of ports on the new HP tablets unacceptable. In order to make the machine useful, one must have a jacket, dock or keybord-dock....and they aren't cheap.

It's like getting an iPad and being forced to buy $200-worth of accessories to make it productive.

There is a mini-HDMI, a full-size USB port and a microSD slot on the ThinkPad 10. And the keyboard-dock has a few more ports, I believe. Plus a Wacom Pen. All that for less money. To me, a no brainer, really.

Now, you seem to have invested in a lot accessories, which makes it complicated. You're trapped.

10. dceggert

No, not really trapped. My Elitepad accessories were acquired through extremely frugal means used through eBay for the EP900 over the course of a year or so. If I could get a 128 or 256 GB I would be very happy with it.

But you make a good point; it is almost 'back to school' time and once that hits it is almost CES as well. Trouble is my Q702 has already been repurposed so I am kind of down to 2 Bay Trail 64GB machines now and one is consuming itself. Maybe Windows will get off it's butt and start cleaning itself out soon.

Also, in case anyone else has noticed there are some i7 Helix's on eBay pretty cheap. I even looked at those... but I am done with 16:9 devices for good now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.