New Propad 600 and Elitepad 1000!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by mitchellmcd, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

In a perhaps slightly more helpful vein, I am pasting in some comments and photos from a post I recently made to another (industry-centric) forum, re: come screen-related findings from my testing. This won't be of much interest to indoor workers unless you sometimes find yourself wanting/needing to use your device outdoors, but may be of more interest to field service type personnel. Due to our industry's needs, a lot of weight is given to outdoor performance and the screen characteristics is a huge thing. I am infamous for ranting "Kinda hard to use a device like this if you can't even discern anything on the screen. What a concept - folks may actually want to use their devices outdoors. I kinda thought that was a major aspect of being mobile..."

---------------------------------------------------------------- begin snips ----------------------------------------------------------------

...two business class Win 8 Tablet PCs made by HP - the ElitePad 1000 and the Pro 610 ("EP1000" and "P610".) Some items were specific to a particular industry, but the bottom line is that some users were still asking a basic question often asked here - Is the more expensive model worth the extra money over the "lesser" version/model?

In most of the "spec on paper" aspects, the two Tablets are almost identical. Other than appearance, the most obvious differences are the color and the price. Some notice the slight weight difference between the devices but unless you actually hold both - one in each hand - it is no big deal. The difference in weight is mostly really more about the size of the battery and materials used in the "shell" than anything else...

...[my supposition is that] the less expensive one just doesn't have the "binned" components which allow it to run more efficiently - the more expensive one, even with a smaller battery actually runs longer in our tests. The other item that most potential buyers miss in this comparison is the availability of cases, docks, etc. made by HP for the EP1000. For some (like most readers here), the availability of these accessories can be a huge factor in which device actually works best in your environment. The P610 is pretty basic with respect to power connection(s), cases, etc. You can get additional chargers for the P610 from HP and presumably from a few 3rd party manufacturers, but there are very few other accessories. The EP1000 on the other hand, has a wide range of docks, cases, etc.

Anyway, ...I shot some quick photos of the EP1000 and the P610, side-by-side in partial shade and direct glaring sun. Hence, I thought they might be of interest here.

The partial shade shot below represents an almost worst-case scenario when inspecting the exterior of a house. The shot was made on a VERY bright day, under minimal eaves and angled outward toward the open areas. Normally, you'd have it oriented upward with reflected light coming very indirectly, not tilted outward in an attempt to try and make things look bad and be hard to use ;-)
    P610 vs EP1000 Partial Shade.jpg

The full sun shot below was taken moments after and the angle is such that I was probably only a degree or two away from seeing a mirror-like reflection of the sun. You can see the slight aberration/"rainbowing" common across both tablets. Again, I stress that this was to illustrate a worst-case-scenario, not typical... (Note, due to my own carele***ess, Sharp eyes will note that this shot has the Windows Logo/button reversed. I had the positions of these two Tablet reversed with respect to the earlier shot. The only modification I made to this image is to "mirror" it Left > Right. It makes the devices look funny to me, but I felt that comparing the two images would be easier if they both matched.)
    P610 vs EP1000 Direct Sun.jpg

These shots were made with my Lumia 1020 Cell Phone and then reduced - and further compromised by the upload process imposed by this site. Hence, they are not spectacularly good "photos", just merely "snaps" for a quick look. Additionally, the fact that I am not using any filtering results in the fact that in person, both of these devices actually look noticeably better in these situations to the naked eye than they do in these photographs.

[Edit] I can see after uploading the images that the "Full Sun" image almost completely loses the "definition" in my original images, so the comment about it being better in direct sun probably isn't adequately represented IMHO.

The point I was making in the other thread is that while the "specs" on the two LCD and digitizer panels are written to be identical, their actual performance is different in these situations. Of the several Tablets like these that I personally own (and more deployed), the P610 is consistently a little brighter than the more expensive EP1000. Indoors and even while traversing a structure in "normal" (for this location) outdoor lighting conditions, it is hard to tell the difference, especially when you can manually alter screen brightness or simply use the "Auto-Brightness" setting. It is (mostly) only when pushed to extremes that you can see the difference, and then only when actually side-by-side. Even I kept forgetting which one was brighter until I put them side-by-side... Anyway, note that even though the P610 is brighter across the board, the EP1000 is slightly more legible in these extreme conditions. I do not have a definitive answer as for WHY, I simply observe that it is so I find that the EP1000 is the better screen and it is likely due to additional/better treatment to the screen (unverified.) That said, I'll soon see how 3rd Party screen treatments fare on these devices (I plan to do that on Sunday.)

Summing up, I believe that for some of you, the EP1000 represents the better, albeit more expensive, choice. Not just for the slight additional clarity as you might suspect, but really it is the cases, etc. which make the biggest difference. The retail price difference is $599 vs. $739, or $140 for essentially identical models. Checking the link below, you can see that these are the first model on the left and the last model on the right - both are 4GB RAM/64GB Storage models.

---------------------------------------------------------------- end snips ----------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
    /end/

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
    bloodycape likes this.
  2. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you recommend any screen protectors (anti glare) in order to increase outdoor usability? May this help?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  3. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

The EP1000 use direct bonding with OCA (optically clear adhesive) between the LCD and touch/gorilla glass. This improves transmisivity, brightness, contrast, and view-ability. Other tablets with air gap bonding have a grey look when the LCD is off due to the air gap bonding which uses an adhesive gasket instead of OCA..hope this helps..

Rick

4. gskidsdoc

gskidsdoc Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought both the EP1000 and pro tab 610 use the same optically bonded LCD.

5. strikerbird

strikerbird Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys,
    I got a question for you. I finally got my ElitePad 1000 and my HP ElitePad Dockable Case. I immediately realise hat the grey cover doesn't have a magnetic hold onto the screen, at least not at the bottom. Thereby, the cover just easily gets moved off protecting my screen. is there a problem with my cover or the ElitePad?

Many thanks,

SB

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Your advice usually does.

You are to be congratulated Rick. HP's tablet offerings, including the X2 612 hybrid coming in the fall, are at the top of their class. You've done a wonderful job with the Tablet division.

The only thing missing is a Slate 500 sized display/bay trail device built like an Elitepad.:D.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  7. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

No, nothing wrong with it. The Executive Cover (the one that doesn't dock) has the closure magnets but when it got folded around to the back it turns the machine off thinking you just closed the cover again. The magnets on the dockable cover were either removed or weakened to prevent that.

8. gmich

gmich Pen Pal - Newbie

I was still wavering on whether to keep the HP Pro 610 or return it and try a Thinkpad 10, but I think the decision has been made for me. Looks like I got a defective unit--unless there's something I'm missing, which is why I'm posting this.

The last three times I've charged it overnight, it is a brick the next morning. Won't turn on, won't do anything--no matter if it's plugged in or unplugged, no matter how long I hold down the power button or how many times I press it. Display just won't turn on. Then after about 10-15 minutes, it will eventually power on. (And when it does finally come in, it is charged--not to 100% interestingly, but to 96 or 97.) Anybody experienced anything like this before?

I guess I'll be shipping it back tomorrow.

9. Randall Garrett

Thanks, Rick - your comments are appreciated. I understand the air gap item. My questions going forward (similar to gskidsdoc) are:

• Do the P610 and EP1000 use the same base LCD/digitizer layer assembly, and the EP1000 has a additional (or superior) OCA?
    • Are there any other technical differences in the core componentry which are of substance?
    • Is there a source where I may obtain technical reference data for the P610 and EP1000? I'm aware of the generic PDFs, so I'm looking for IPX type items.
    I am founder and CEO of a company which supplies "sole source designated" apps, and mobility-related (back end and hardware) consulting to approx. 75% of the US county/state jurisdictions for a particular purpose, approximately 70% of the Emergency First Responder "jurisdictions", and the whole of the UK government (in this niche market.) Items such as the foregoing are very important to these entities and I am currently at a loss to provide meaningful (summary) back up for justifying the EP1000 over the P610, Q584 and upcoming TP10, other than the accessories (which are admittedly very important in accomplishing their tasks at hand.) I have similar data published/provided by Fujitsu for (say) the Q584, by Motion Computing and Panasonic, so I am struggling to provide similar data for the EP1000. I happen to find that the EP1000 is the best candidate for the majority of the field personnel but I could use some back up reference data to be complete. As I am sure you are aware, using a "Well, in my experience..." as justification just doesn't carry the same weight in RFP type situations. Even though we are "sole source" in the majority of situations/opportunities, there is always a certain amount of "ticking all the boxes" which is necessary.

I understand that some of this info may not be readily available (or maybe my sleuthing skills are low, LOL) and I am prepared to execute NDA docs if necessary. Feel free to PM me if that is the appropriate method.

Oh, and FWIW, I wholeheartedly agree with Bronsky's comment regarding your efforts!

Regards,

-Randall Garrett-
    /end/

10. Randall Garrett

Dan,

Do you presently have a Dockable cover? I am currently without an Executive Cover, so I cannot do a direct side-by-side "compare and contrast." FWIW, it appears that there is a weaker magnet on the Dockable Cover, sufficient to init sleep/wake but not strong enough to keep the "flap" in place, which I believe is the basis of the question from SB. I am about the leave the country again (20 July - 27 July) and will not be needing my Dockable cover during that stretch. If you do not have one and would be willing to do a compare and contrast, I am happy to ship my personal accessory to you. Just PM me with your contact info and I'll have my shipping personnel get things to you and arrange for return shipping. I am interested in YOUR input as I find your experience with the devices to be superior. (This means, "No, I'm not willing to ship items to just anyone who asks, just so they can fondle stuff, LOL)

Please advise.

-Randall Garrett-
    /end/