New Propad 600 and Elitepad 1000!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by mitchellmcd, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

An update: I tried out the new USB 3 Dongle and it powers up my DVD RAM drive just fine. I used it to burn a CD last night without issue. The USB 2 ports on my Expansion Sleeve also worked fine for powering up the drive. When I plugged the USB 3 Dongle into the docking port on the Expansion Sleeve I received a warning that the attached USB device was not an Elitepad accessory so I guess the dongle cannot be used with the sleeve on. So, to get USB 3 you need to pull the Elitepad 1000 out of the sleeve to connect the dongle.

Now for another interesting observation....

The Lenovo Thinkpad 10 and the Elitepad 1000 share similar guts. A 10.1" IPS panel with the same resolution, the same CPU and GPU SoC, the same RAM, and similar SSD (eMMC). However:

Elitepad 1000.........Thinkpad 10
    30 WH Battery.........33 WH battery
    12 hr run time..........10 hr run time
    1.5 lb......................1.3 lb

The metal case on the Elitepad may explain the weight difference but operationally the biggest difference is Atmel vs. Wacom digitizer. Does the power requirement of the Wacom system make that much difference? I know this has been speculated on other threads but this is a big difference especailly since reviews are putting the Thinkpad at 7 hrs real world.

What I do like about the Thinkpad 10 is that the 128 GB with Win 8.1 Pro can be had for $796 (best price I have found) where the equivalent Elitepad 1000 is $951 (best price I can find). Of course that $150 difference cannot replace the desktop dock and cover let alone the sleeves and aux battery.

Lenovo did pull off making a thinner, smaller, and lighter 10.1" so kudos to them!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    2.0™ and bloodycape like this.
  2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Well that's excellent news, I don't use external burner, but do have a few USB 3 external drives(device powered and wall powered), and I think the $150 difference, and the Atmel pen is worth having the ability to power any USB peripheral device I come across. I may wait until mid August to see what the i3 Surface brings out of curiosity. I more than likely will be going 128gb 1000, and hopefully by then price has come down a little more.

3. dceggert

The real good news is that for the first time ever, today, 9-July-2014, the J5N69UT#ABA (128 GB, 4GB, 8.1 Pro, LTE) is in stock at many retailers. They have finally flooded into the pipeline! :thumbsup:

Oh, and for that extra $150 you do get the LTE as well.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
    penname likes this.
  4. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

What about NFC-models, any information on that?:(

Who is lurching all the NFC modules...Apple?

5. penname

penname Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting. I went to my favorite online stores and confirmed the long anticipated 128 GB model is finally in stock and ready to order. But while I was preparing to dig out my credit card, I started thinking. The ElitePad 1000 G2 is roughly 3 months into a roughly 12 month product lifecycle, my Elitepad 900 is working fine for my use case, and there is that whole NFC thing still to be clarified. So I'm back to my plan to just wait it out for the G3. And/or pick up a highly discounted G2 after the G3 is announced.

This year's personal IT budget is probably going to Apple instead of HP. My iPhone and iPad turn 2 years old this fall and the iPhone 6 rumors look interesting.

6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I take that LTE can be use with that free 100mb T-Mobile data plan?

7. III.Jg27ADLER

Does anybody know the product number(s) of those models with NFC?

8. III.Jg27ADLER

Ok, apparently no one can/is willing to answer. Apparently even the vendors do not know which models have NFC modules and which not...:rolleyes:

Nevermind then, I got one question about the rear facing camera. Does it have auto-focus?

9. dceggert

The Elitepad 1000 has autofocus and flash, the Pro 610 has autofocus without the flash.

10. III.Jg27ADLER

Thank you! You own the 64GB model, right? Do you use a Micro SD card? If yes,64 or 128GB? I am asking because I consider to just purchase the simple 64GB model with NFC:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.