New Propad 600 and Elitepad 1000!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by mitchellmcd, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

No, it's Gorilla Glass. A SP is not needed.

2.0™ likes this.
  2. monty87

monty87 Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the same dilemma, between the two devices. I was really tempted by the i5 cpu in the surface 3. One of the things I want to do is light use of lightroom and photoshop. (Only on small files using smart previews, not large raw files) when I am mobile. But for me I felt the 12" factor is too big. I looked at some of the 12" tablets in best buy like the samsung note pro to get an idea on size, and I just could not see myself using a tablet of that size on the go. One thing I noticed, on paper both the tablets are .36" thick, but the surface looks slightly thicker from the side as it has full size usb port that will not fit the elitepad

I did not consider the pro 610 has it only has a max of 64gb ssd, and not compatible with elitepad accessories

So far I am really impressed with the elitepad. It might just be the ultimate replacement for my tc1100 :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    dceggert likes this.
  3. Azule

Azule Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks dceggert and monty,
    Great replies. I, too, think 12 inches might be a bit big. I've been using a VivoTab Note 8 (b/c I wanted inking for note taking) and find the 8 inch size just way too small for my liking. For me, 10 inches really seems like the sweet spot. I previously had an HP Omni 10 (which seems like the consumer version of the 610 g1) and liked its size. Do you think the Baytrail CPU can handle photoshop (with smaller files, like you said)? I've owned three different baytrail tablets and haven't tried anything as demanding as photoshop yet. I guess I could just load on a 30 trial install and see if it works...

4. monty87

monty87 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I have not installed photoshop yet.But it would nice to test it out. I have a photoshop action that runs a whole bunch of plugins on an image and gets you results in time to process. I am now anxious to try it out. I have a few variety of systems at home, on which I will install trial version of photoshop and run the test.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  5. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Everything everyone else said. Additionally for me, I own an EliteBook 2760P tablet. So whatever I was to get had to be smaller and lighter to justify the purchase. The 2760P weights 4lbs and has a 12.1" screen. It's a chunky 1.5" thick. While using it, I sometimes wished that the screen could detach. Well that fantasy became reality with the ElitePad 1000 G2 which is smaller, lighter and thinner than the 2760P's screen.

I have an i5 in the 2760p so the 1st gen Atom based Win 8 tablets would have been noticeably weaker. This next gen quad core Atom that's in a number of the new Win 8 tablets (Elitepad incl.'d) is the perfect compromise. It can handle any app I throw at it without me getting frustrated (I live by the New York minute code which is approx .4 secs. So when a NYer asks you a question, be ready to answer before they finish the question). ;)

6. monty87

monty87 Pen Pal - Newbie

So I did some performance test using couple of photoshop actions. I had DriveHaven test and speed test. DriveHeaven test runs a bunch of plugins and uses the photoshop timing to get you exact time to run. Speedtest requires you to use a stopwatch to time its process. So speedtest numbers are approximate to around +/- half second.

I tested 5 systems. Out of the five, three systems had more than 4gb of memory. I tested those in photoshop using the setting "Use all memory" and a second test using only 3gb of memory, and the results were exactly the same. So for these test it seems the amount of memory over 3gb did not make a difference. Also for all these test photoshop graphics opengl was disabled and all systems used ssd drives for cache.

Here are the systems specs:

Workstation: Core i5 4670K 3.4Ghz overclocked to 4ghz, 32GB Ram
    Envy 17 (CTO-3200) Core-i7 37200QM @ 2.6Ghz, 16GB Ram
    Envy 15 (CTO-1100) Core-i5 2.4Ghz M520 (I think this was the 1st generation core i5), 8GB Ram
    Surface Pro 1 Core i5-3317U 1.7Ghz, 4GB Ram
    Elitepad 1000g2 Atom Z3795 1.6 GHz to 2.39 GHz, 4GB Ram

And here are the results. Numbers are shown in "secs" so smaller is better/faster
    performance.jpg

Two things that I found interesting.
    1.) 1000G2 was faster than Surface 1 i5 specially with the DriveHeaven test.
    2.) 1000G2 was faster than Evny 15 i5 in speedtest, but slower in Driveheaven

7. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

What about anti-glare screen protectors then?;)

8. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

It's a sunlight readable display, though. :D

9. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow, really:eek:? Isn't there a lot of reflections in sunlight?:confused:

10. monty87

monty87 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got my auto adaptor with the usb cable. And I was able to power the 1000g2 with anker battery that I had mentioned earlier through the USB port of the battery. Not sure how much it will extend my usage time. When I get some time, I will play a movie on loop to see how long the batter time is extended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.