New Propad 600 and Elitepad 1000!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by mitchellmcd, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monty87

monty87 Pen Pal - Newbie

I hope someone in here or Rick from HP can answer few question I have regarding the elitepad 1000g2. Currently I am not looking into getting an expansion jacket due to size and no USB 3 ports.

Can I charge the 1000g2 using the usb cable from the 12W usb auto adaptor ? I dont care for the auto adaptor itself, but can I use the cable to plug into an external battery. According to HP the Usb charging cable requires a minimum of 5V @ 2.1 to charge the elitepad (I am hoping that applies to 1000g2 )
    When I travel, I always carry this Anker 2nd Gen Astro Pro 15000mAh Triple-Port External Battery Anker external battery. I would like to use this also for extra juice to power the elitepad. It also has 9v charging dc out, but I have not found any cables that I could use. I might have to hack a dc cable and rig to use with the 7.4mm smart cable for the elitepad.

Also anyone who has the elitepad, will the Samsung 64gb pro micro sdxc work ?

And between these 2 cases, what is more ideal ? Elitepad Dockable case (F1M97UT/AA) or the Elitepad Case (H4R88UT/AA). I would like to keep it as slim as possible and protect the screen at the same time. Also online on the hp page the dockable case looks dark gray instead of black ? Is the real color or just the lighting.

2. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

I can answer 2:

Yes, the Samsung micro card will work. I have the 32GB version.

The H4R88UT case covers the sides and has rubber feet on the inside of the lid so when you fold it over, it acts as a no-skid surface. You might find the magnet it the lid will sleep the unit when folded over flat and moved around. I removed the magnet in mine. '

As for the other case, everywhere I looked it appears to be gray.

3. monty87

monty87 Pen Pal - Newbie

2.0, Thanks for into. I just got my elitepad over the weekend and so far really impressed with the device. (going to cancel Surface pro 3 I had on pre order) I ordered the elitepad dockable case (F1M97UT) and will see soon what that looks like. I didn't really like the look and style of the H4R88UT case based on the youtube videos. I also ordered the auto adaptor since, it was the only way to get the cable with male usb to 70 pin connector and will try that out with my Anker battery to see if works. I really hope HP comes out with a dock with Usb 3.0.

4. Azule

Azule Pen Pal - Newbie

Monty (and others),
    Why did you choose the Elitepad over the SP3? With the i3 model only slightly more than the Elitepad, it seems like you would get a lot more with the Surface. I'm wrestling with this myself. Both are a little more than I want to spend on a tablet. The Surface seems absolutely gorgeous, but VERY pricey as you move beyond the i3 model. Just wondering what you like so much more about the Elitepad. Thanks for your input! One last thing, did you consider the Pro Tablet 610 G1. At $200 less than the Elitepad, I'm seriously considering it, too.

5. HuckleBoo

HuckleBoo Pen Pal - Newbie

I would suggest to wait till September and order the HP Pro 612 tablet PC: Wacom digitizer, fan-less Core i, real Ultrabook-like keyboard and 14h+ battery time

6. Azule

Azule Pen Pal - Newbie

Huckle, looks interesting, but also appears to be 16x9 aspect ratio. I can't use that. I tried and with the amount I use portrait mode, I couldn't stand that ratio. With a 12 inch screen it would be even worse. The 3x2 ratio is one of the biggest selling points of the surface 3 for me.

7. elee532

elee532 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm interested in people's thoughts on this too. I've waiting on a 1000 but questioning my choice in light of the SP3. Some things still pushing me towards the HP... lighter, thinner, fanless, better battery life, easier to use dock, the HP productivity jacket looks more "lapable."

Am I off base. Am I missing any benefits of the HP?

8. zendragon

zendragon Scribbler - Standard Member

If the pro pad 610 had been released a little sooner, or the SP3 a little later, I may already have one in my hands, but as is, I'm really sold on the 3:2 aspect ratio as well of the SP3. I prefer portrait for pretty much anything I'll be using in tablet mode.

9. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Okay, I'll help out with the understanding.

First, why the Elitepad over the SP3. This one is both easy and complicated. The easy part is that the Elitepad was announced in January and the SP3 in May. Now the complicated answer; I already had a complete 'system' that I acquired off eBay. I bought a 900 pretty cheap and it came with an expansion sleeve with the aux battery, and desktop dock. I then added a keyboard (Productivity Sleeve), cover, and cover for the Expansion Sleeve. I also have USB, VGA, HDMI, and Ethernet dongles. The 900 suffered from a poor pen. The 1000 fixed the pen issue and all my add-on stuff works with it. For me I got a complete package for the cost of the unit itself. To go to the SP3 I would need the unit and pen, keyboard, and the dock to mimic what I have now plus even more; very pricey. So it is no longer just $699 vs. $799.

Now, what is the goods on the comparison between them? With the SP3 you get a larger slate, N-trig, the goodies associated with the kickstand and magnetic cover, the instant-on OneNote, 3:2 aspect ratio, and the i-core CPU. With the Elitepad 1000 you get a smaller slate, the sleeves which includes one with a 2nd battery pushing it to 20 hours runtime, and MIL spec for drops, water, dust resistance, and all-around durability. You also have a Security Sleeve for the 1000 that gets you a Smartcard reader for medical use if you need it where the 610 or SP3 do not offer that yet. Also, the Elitepad 1000 presently uses all the same accessories from the 900 and they are cheap on eBay. Not so with the SP3 yet.

Now let's discuss the Elitepad vs. Pro Tablet 610 - the 610 is a less durable version of the Elitepad 1000 without the jacket system or MIL spec durability (need to check that one but being all plastic I doubt it is). It also has the USB port on the device. If you don't want to find the accessories then the 610 is a wise choice over the 1000 (unless you need a Smartcard reader for log-in security or the durability).

Personally I would not want anything larger than this 10.1" 16:10 screen but I use mine in 100% slate mode with the pen; it would be a very small laptop with the keyboard 2.5' away on your lap. If you plan to use the keyboard then the 12" SP3 would be a better unit.

Hopefully this helps with the perspective.

2.0™ likes this.
  10. monty87

monty87 Pen Pal - Newbie

Have any of you guys put a screen protector on the elitepad? If yes does it interfere with the pen ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.