New Propad 600 and Elitepad 1000!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by mitchellmcd, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zendragon

zendragon Scribbler - Standard Member

I am really torn with this now that the SP3 is announced. If my primary purpose is art and notes, the SP3 is a better option, but it's also less portable by far, and I don't really need another laptop right now. I think I would get more daily use out of the HP. But dang, 3:2 aspect ratio is a dream.

elee532, jeek and Azule like this.
  2. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Nothing, IMO, is more comfortable that reading an old fashioned newspaper or magazine. Except for a flexible OLED/TOLED display device. :D . 10.1" is... perfect depending on zoom and DPI settings. Zoom being able to be adjusted on the fly... in any orientation. But I leave my zoom @ 150% for webpages. So news and reading is great. Ebook reading is great also. Zooming around large technical PDFs of schematics at 300x Zoom using your finger is always a blast.

Will tablets always be heavier than a book? Depends on the book. My Oxford English Dictionary (it's a book, a biiiggg book) is many orders of magnitude heavier and larger than any tablet I ever owned (see, now back in the day, while playing Scrabble, when you challenged a word and slammed down the Oxford, you knew it was on!). My father's leather bond Bible, Strong's Concordance, Commentary series by various authors is heavier by biblical proportions than a tablet with a bible app that has all that and then some. The entire Game of Thrones novel series in hardcover is bigger, bulkier and heavier than a tablet.

You see what I did there?

Anyway, with further advances in materials science, Semiconductors, and power cell technology, we'll one day soon get down to 3mm thick tablets. But expect the ends and surrounds to be a bit bulbous and rounded to prevent user injury. Things can't get too small and light considering human evolutionary morphology isn't keeping pace with the rapid advances in technology. So 15" tablets won't be the norm anytime soon.

I'm convinced that my supplied battery died early due to my putting the pen in the pen loop in such a way that the loop was depressing the pen button. (That is to say that I didn't insert the pen buttons passed the loop). It's been 3 weeks or so since I changed it out with a rechargeable NiMh AAA battery that still reads above 1.3vdc. At full charge, it was 1.4vdc nominal. I'm guessing at this rate, a rechargeable NiMH battery should last about 6 weeks between charges with daily pen use. And alkaline battery probably 8 to 12 weeks before needing replacement.

My heart jumped in my throat when I read the specs on the new Surface Pro 3. But then I priced out everything I would need/want, all the while reflecting on the fact that I still own a HP Elitebook 2760P which I ain't givin' up. Buyer's remorse faded away like a time lapse sunset.

For an artist though, I wouldn't think the SP3 to be appealing given its use of N-Trig as opposed to the Wacom of the previous gen SP2.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  3. zendragon

zendragon Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not a professional artist in any sense of the word. I gave up on that career choice a long time ago. I just do light sketching mostly now. I have one project that the SP3 would be nice to finish on, but that's a lot of money for one project. Also, I've never been a fan of Wacom. Granted, aside from playing around with demo Samsung Notes and the original SPs I've only ever used bamboo Wacom devices, but they've never been great for me. If N-Trig has made the advancements they claim to have made, I think it could work out fine. Of course, that's also why I'm considering the HP, if the pen has advanced as much as it looks, it could work for sketching as well, and would be a much better note taker and e-reader.

4. outofsoul

outofsoul Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine was ordered on 26th April, said initial delivery by May 06, then postpone due to material shortage, then again move the delivery date to May 20th.
    Second attempt for clarification, delivery again moved to 2nd June. And now latest email from the customer team said confirm 20th June. :eek::mad:-

5. strikerbird

strikerbird Pen Pal - Newbie

Welcome to the club, outofsoul! :)

6. elee532

elee532 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am so interested in trying one of these. But the lack of availability/delays is really putting me off. Unfortunately, there isn't much in the way of comparable options. :-(

7. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I agree. For something announced in January as 'now shipping' they sure are taking a long time to get to where they are going. They need faster ships!

8. strikerbird

strikerbird Pen Pal - Newbie

Now I heard that my order will come mid-July.

SB

9. elee532

elee532 Pen Pal - Newbie

And people wonder why Microsoft felt the need to give a kick in the butt to its hardware partners!

10. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone ever contacted the HP sales team? Do you know if they give any discounts for this business device for students?:confused:

Thank you in advance!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.