New Propad 600 and Elitepad 1000!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by mitchellmcd, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I was shocked to find that the 64 GB drive on my Elitepad 1000 was filled with my installation of Office 2013 and a few other programs like FreeMind (requires Java), FreeFileSync, and DrawboardPDF. I did not even have room for PDFAnnotator. There was only 800 MB left! Looking at the drive allocation I saw that the recovery partition is 5.5 GB on the 1000 as opposed to 3.5 GB on the 900, but there is 7.5 GB of free space on my Elitepad 900. So, by comparison:

Elitepad 900 (3.5 GB recovery partition, 7.5 GB free):
    Office Professional 2010
    FreeMind (and Java)
    FreeFileSync
    PDFAnnotator
    DrawboardPDF
    SeaClear II
    OpenCPN
    Streets & Trips
    Opera
    Audacity
    Adobe Reader
    ArtRage Starter Edition
    Sketchbook Express
    Fresh Paint
    4.5 GB of music

Elitebook 1000 (5.5 GB recovery partition, 0.8 GB free):
    Office Professional Plus 2013
    FreeMind (and Java)
    FreeFileSync
    DrawboardPDF
    ArtRage Starter Edition
    Sketchbook Express
    4.5 GB of music

Is Windows 8.1 x64 and/or Office Professional Plus 2013 that much of a disk space hog? My gosh, I need some of these programs. Granted I do not really need the art stuff but my chart plotting software for the boat and my mapping programs for the motorhome are a must need for my device.

Do I need to box it up and ship it back and buy the 128 GB version? The Elitepad 900 is back in service for the time being and here at work with me.

Uhem, Dale, how does one go about shipping this back? Do I wash it, restore the drive back to factory, put it all back in the bags with the screen protector on it, etc.? I have never had to do this before!

2. tiger balm

tiger balm Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, maybe it's something other than Office? I think Office Pro 2013 takes up about 3Gb.

3. dceggert

I wonder if it has anything to do with the 70+ Windows updates that seemed to download forever. Or, maybe something blew up on installation? Or maybe it is Wondows x64...I have no clue but I thought I could use the 64 GB version because I have a 64 GB EP900 and a 64GB Venue 8 Pro.

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I think something is awry here.

Maybe try https://windirstat.info/download.html to see what is eating up all the space. How large is your C: partition?

5. dceggert

Thanks for the link; I will download it and give it a whirl. I am not sure how big it is at this point since it is at home! As soon as I can, however, I will use this program to dig a little deeper.

6. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

1000 G2 w/ 64GB SSD

25.6GB free out of 48GB

Office home & Student.
    Bunch of browsers
    Bunch of art programs.
    HP preinstalled software

Also a 32GB microSD card with 29GB free out of 29.3GB usable.

7. dceggert

Thanks for the data point. Something must have gotten out of hand on my installations/updates. I am going to take it back to formula and start again and see what went wrong...sort of like a tumy ache at a pizza joint..."I need to start over and see where we went wrong!"

Update: I restored the factory load and started over last night. At the start I had 29.7 GB free of 48.0 GB on the C: partition. The recovery partition (D: ) had 930 MB free of 8.57 GB. The HP_Tools partition (E: ) had 94.2 MB free of 96.0 MB. Obviously the C: partition is the only one of interest here.

After Install
    Office Professional Plus 2013 - 28.6 GB (-1.1 GB) - note: Office is pre-loaded and just needs to be installed and activated
    Outlook Setup and Franklin-Covey PlanPlus - 27.3 GB (-1.3 GB)
    Setting up OneNote and loading my notebooks - 24.7 GB (-2.6 GB)
    Apps installed - 23.6 GB (-1.1 GB)
    Windows Update #1 - 20.4 GB (-3.2 GB)
    Windows Update #2 (Win 8.1 'update') - 16.6 GB (-3.8 GB)

PDF Annotator - 16.5 GB (-0.1 GB)
    Music Copied - 11.1 GB (-5.4 GB)

This is now more aligned with my EP900 but I do still have more to load (Java, FreeMind, Streets&Trips, etc.). However, 7 GB for Windows updates has me wondering if these are installation files sitting on the drive now taking up space. Conceivably, the updated Windows should be the same as pre-updated Windows.

Also, the pen operation got significantly worse after the update until I went into Control panel and told the machine that the screen was a pen-input panel. Once I did that it started responding properly again.

Okay, feeling better now but I need to find the 7 GB and get rid of them...is this the WinSxS directory?

Update_1: a good explanation and ways to fix this. I especially thought it was nice that MS included the utility to clean this up automagically in 30 days so it does not grow to consume the planet after a while....

http://www.howtogeek.com/174705/how-to-reduce-the-size-of-your-winsxs-folder-on-windows-7-or-8/

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  8. strikerbird

strikerbird Pen Pal - Newbie

One questions guys, after many negative review of the HP ElitePad Case and what I read here, I am starting to think is it worth it.

Should I get the HP ElitePad Case (H4R88UT) or should I get the HP ElitePad Leather Slip Case (E5L02AA)

Many thanks for any response,

SB

9. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There's also the hidden msocache folder that you can (Up to you) remove from the root of c:

10. Azule

Azule Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone seen the Pro Tablet 610 G1 (formerly called propad 600) in the wild? Still seems like an attractive device...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.