New pen for my new Asus Vivotab Note 8

Discussion in 'Asus' started by drwoonzer, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drwoonzer

drwoonzer Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everybody :)
    I just received my Note 8 tablet this morning and so far I really like it. Apart from being quite imprecise in the corners of the touchscreen, which seems to be a common problem with Wacom technology (?), the only "problem" I have is with the pen. It's really tiny and not the best quality (like the S-Pen). I was wondering if I can use the tablet with any other Wacom-Stylus? Furthermore, do any of you guys have any recommendations for a pen that feels more like a normal pen? (Heavier, thicker...).

Thanks for your help!

p.s.: If any of you who don't have the tablet yet, have any questions regarding the device, feel free to ask :)

2. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

As far as I know, any Wacom pen that is used with Penabled tablet PCs and Samsung "Notes" should work. You could probably use a Wacom tablet PC pen from 5 to 10 years ago, and it would still work. If you do some research and have a list of model names of tablet PCs over the years, you can find some great deals on ebay.

My favorite pen is the thick "fountain pen" form factor stylus from Motion Computing part # 504.500.01. You can usually find them on the internet.

My other favorite Wacom thing to do is replacing the plastic nib with a hard felt nib. It's probably less likely to scratch up the screen, and it create a little more 'grab' giving a similar feel to writing pen on paper. I ordered a 5-pack of felt nibs straight from Wacom for a few dollars.

3. maki

maki Pen Pal - Newbie

First question: where did you buy it?
    2nd one: is the back plastic or rubbery?

4. drwoonzer

Perfect, thank you so much for the reply!

5. retrofred

retrofred Pen Pal - Newbie

You can a really nice one from Samsung.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

6. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Shouldn't the Surface Pro pen work. That's a pretty nice one. I like how the eraser functionality is on the flipside. It makes it feel more like using a real pencil.

7. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Surface pen should work. Motion also has a pen that has the thickness of a pencil barrel, and has a spring loaded eraser nub at the other end. That's the other thing I like about the Wacom offerings, the eraser. It's just that much more intuitive for me compared to clicking on a side button to erase.

8. drwoonzer

Thanks WuBoy for the reply,
    Actually I just thought about returning it in exchange for a surface, as the bad precision closer to the edge of the screen is a real dealbreaker when taking notes... :/

9. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Surface or Surface Pro? The Surface doesn't have digitizer support so I don't see how that's a worthwhile exchange. The Surface Pro is at least $300 more, so of course it will be a better experience. For that matter, the Galaxy Note 8 also costs more than the Asus Note especially at release. So at the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

I really find it annoying that there is no good 10'' Baytrail option. It makes no sense to have void there. I mean you have the Dell Venue 11, the Dell Stylus problems are even worse than what we see here.

There are multiple Clovertrail options. Are the Clovertrail processors were really that bad?

10. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

Refer to this thread, http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/microsoft/55416-tabletpc-compatible-wacom-pens-work-surface-pro.html

I just bought a Fujitsu pen, with the double buttons and eraser. It feels pretty light, but still pretty solid body. It's offset is much better than the included pen in my TPT2, but it's about the same as my tm2t. Pens may influence offset because they can be built differently, and it seems smaller pens, like the one included with the Asus has pretty bad offset like the on in the TPT2.

There isn't any other option in Android for a note taking device. In terms of Galaxy Note's, Wacom may have better drivers in Android than Windows sadly, that's why they almost seem to have no offset; not to mention I believe Samsung owns like 30% of Wacom's stock, they might get better treatment. I have noticed though, the offset can vary from device to device and with pens (I think). I have zero offset on my tm2t with my new Fujitsu pen and my older Surface Pro Pen, but there is a tiny bit with the stock. On my TPT2, as I mentioned above I get really bad offset using the included Pen but not too much with anything else. I'm not sure if Asus got a cheaper digitizer for there devices just so they can say they have Wacom in, but it might be a factor. The problem with the Galaxy Note series for notetaking, is there isn't a single app that can compare with Microsoft OneNote. Sure you can scribble and what not, but the advantages of OneNote with organization, editing, printing PDFs into, attaching images, not to forget the cross platform syncing (awesome to bring my TPT2 with me to take notes, then just open up my tm2t or my dv5 and be able to view notes on those), etc. If Samsung manages to get an app like that, then also get full photoshop/sai/CSP, then Android would be a bit more enticing for those who've experienced TabletPCs.

Hmm... Clovertrail processors are not that bad, in fact I feel like it's faster in terms of graphics compared to my older Core2Duo Laptop that runs at 2.0 GHz but the graphics is an old IntelHD 4500. The reason it's hard to recommend the older Clovertrails is because Baytrail is just much better than the Clovertrail processors. In fact I don't think Clovertrail really has the power to run SC2, but I've seen videos of Baytrail running SC2 on the DV8P. Having that kind of power with the battery advantage that Clovertrail brought is nice. It would be nice if they released some 10" options soon, I'm surprised not to see any yet. It's like everyone is trying to chase the Galaxy Note 8 instead of the 10 because the 8 was better than the 10.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.