New n trig stylus initial activation force (IAF) how good is it now?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by JSONB, Feb 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I don't know anybody who has attempted to run the calibration software to accommodate one of the older Penabled styluses, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

The two reasons I haven't tried, (I've got several old pens which work, but as you have observed, do so with an annoying offset), are that the full sized S Pen I have is spot-on perfect right now and I don't want to risk messing that up, and also because the older pens don't have anywhere near the same low IAF as the new pen.

I find I really appreciate the feather-light touch of the S Pen, -though I do think it is not quite as comfy in hand as the older design. I can easily live with it, however. -It's a tool which "vanishes" in the hand once I get going, and I'm able to just get into the work without worrying about the tool.

siddhartth likes this.
  2. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

A calibration fixes the offset ok, although it doesn't quite work as well at extreme tilt. I've done it on my GB10.

What's even better is that some sneak pen update now allows older EMR pens to work at normal IAFs instead of that weird abnormally high IAF they were suffering from before.

If you want the s-pen levels of IAF, the Dell Canvas pen is a nice size and uses classic nibs. It's just missing an eraser.

If you can go without the second side button, the HP Zbook x2 pen works perfectly with Samsung EMR, with no offset.

Marty and DRTigerlilly like this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Thanks for the update @Selofain. Just a couple of questions:

Are older UD pens you tested able to communicate tilt to the GB10?

Does the second side switch do anything by default with the Samsung drivers?

4. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

I can't tell. I turned the Samsung pen service back on and ran Sketchpad. I pulled out the s-pen for comparison. I thiiiiink it does, but I could never really tell if tilt was working even with the s-pen.

The marks from both the Axiotron and the s-pen look the same when way tilted, for what it's worth.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it just does nothing.

Marty likes this.