New n trig stylus initial activation force (IAF) how good is it now?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by JSONB, Feb 1, 2018.

1. JSONB

JSONB Pen Pal - Newbie

Reporting back:

I tried the Surface Book 2, Surface Pro, Surface Studio... they are HORRIBLE at IAF sadly. Really really bad.

Especially the way I hold my pencil (like a brush). The test I did was to drag the pen a few times and it wouldn't get detected. They had an app called Sketchable, Paint 3D and Paint. Paint 3D was the worst. No way to adjust the settings as far as I could tell.

I really wanted to like it, it's what I been wanting in one computer.

Ideally I would want to hover my pen and almost not touch the screen (this works fine on the surface pro gen 1 + ipad pro so I know it's possible). The feeling I am taking about is a really soft pencil. Activate on contact and no pressure required besides that (again for ergonomics + long sessions).

Also: The Note 8 they had was not so great with initial pressure required but that's okay since it's a phone and unique, the best in class so far (as far as I know). It's amazing it even works.

Thanks again. Will try the Samsung Notebook Pro 9 in person and see if AES is any good on the yoga 720. Now I am more skeptical = /

DRTigerlilly and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Don't waste your time with AES.

The Notebook 9 Pro is amazing for light touch artists. -The Full Sized Samsung S-Pen, (you have to buy that separately) is feather touch light. In combination with ClipStudio Paint, the style of drawing you describe makes pretty much a perfect fit. Reviews around here also highly praise the Staedtler Noris pencil for its responsiveness. And not having to put a new battery in your stylus every few weeks is.., well, exactly as it should be. The fewer batteries people need in their lives, the better.

I hear very good things about the Samsung Galaxy Book as well; it and the N9P seem to be basically identical in terms of digitizer, OS and drivers; the form factor is the only major difference.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Those programs though, those are the worst testers for something like that. For disclosure, I wont touch AES, I hate that it feels laggy to me especially with fast strokes. But to be fair to AES and to play devils advocate here, an app like Photoshop or sketchbook pro are much better apps to get an accurate idea of IAF and pen feel, small indy windows metro apps (or whatever they are called now) are all pretty terrible with handling pressure. I throw a portable install of sketchbook pro on a thumbdrive and take it with me to install on machines I am going to try (you sometimes need store permission)
    Still, only using the weight of the pen doesn't work with EMR either (I just tried) spotty at best, though admittedly I feel like I only have to think about pressing and it begins to make a stroke, whereas the microsoft surface pen I just tried on the Vaio Duo 13 took a slightly harder thought of pressure, so there is a noticeable difference.
    Anyway, for me the deciding factors are the vectoring on fast strokes (may have been worked out), the tails or hooks on strokes, the perceivable hover cursor lag, and more aggressive feeling pressure curve.
    Wacom is butter, and Ntrig still feels like margarine trying to be butter..

4. andya147

andya147 Scribbler - Standard Member

I had a similar setup to you stonekeeper and in the end the reason I got rid of my fugi t902 was the colour gamut was very poor .everything else was great that isn't as much of a problem now with most screens having high adobe colour gamut but I find the surface book 1 and 2 IAF much much better but only if you use the surface 2017 new pen the old one is awful for IAF nothing is perfect and as ive said a couple of times the prices are crazy /the samsng book 12 has a slider to change pressure but the Samsung notebook 9 pro hasn't got this update yet and I think its because they don't want you having the same experience as the Wacom mobile studio .having all of these machines ive got a good idea of the problems people face I think the ipad pro 12.9 and pencil is the best drawing experience then notebook pro 9 and Samsung book 2 as others have said AES not for me also the Wacom ink oen on surface book is more accurate than the ne surface 2017 pen but and its a big but te IAF is much worse ,you just cant win with any of them for comfort the notebook pro 9 I prefer ...surface book 2 with new pen is far better at IAF in fact close to EMR were the Wacom wins is no jitter and much better accuracy if Wacom lowered there prices I would have total respect for the company but as it is artist with not much cash can only dream of these things

5. JSONB

JSONB Pen Pal - Newbie

Well for reference I tried Paint on my Surface Pro gen 1 and it works fine with IAF. It's incredible actually. The Apple Pencil is also great at this, probably the best.

I still stand by the fact that the N-Trig tech is really bad for IAF from my quick test but I do wish I was wrong.

I am going to have to wait it out and see if either we get new drivers for the notebook 9 pro.. or maybe I'll get a samsung galaxy (I wish they would update it to 8th gen CPUs) or Acer 7 (if it ever releases).

Maybe Wacom will update their Mobile Studio line after all. Though that comes with it's own set of problems and huge headaches.

My ideal choice would be Surface Book 2 but with EMR :'(. It fit's all my needs besides the digitizer (the price could be better).

6. JSONB

JSONB Pen Pal - Newbie

So I am no wondering if this Adonit Ink Windows 10 pen is as good as this review states in terms of IAF?

This reviewer is claiming it's pretty good IAF? Anyone have any experience? I wonder if it's just relative to older N-Trig tech and not as good as the newer n-trig pen (and so still pretty far from EMR)?