New N-Trig Driver Improves Inkiing Performace?

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by simpleatsh, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simpleatsh

simpleatsh Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got my Vaio Duo 11 yesterday and found myself a bit disappointed with the inking performance, compared to the Wacom based tablets I owned before, it felt like the NTrig stylus needed a bit more "initial force" to activate a stroke which resulted in the missing beginning part of a stroke. Just now, found this new driver on NTrig's website specifically for Duo 11, the version number is 4.15.3840, and seems like this driver has improved the inking performance, especially on the "initial force" issue, it now requires less force to start a stroke and the whole inking experience feels smoother in general.

I am not sure what I felt was objective, or maybe I was just too excited to see a driver update, Let me know your feedback.

P.S. sadly, this driver didn't solve another problem I have with the NTrig digitizers, which is the jagged line work when draw long and fast strokes. seems like the NTrig sampling frequency cannot keep up with the hand movement, hopefully this issue could be fixed in the future update.

2. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

That's awesome that they pushed out a driver- I'm between Duo's right now so I'm curious how much better it is. Have you tried quick swirls in MS Paint? I noticed when testing out the Ativ that it has very similar vectoring to the Duo in S Note, but almost none at all in MS Paint, revealing the higher polling rate. It was a Best Buy demo model, so I obviously couldn't test ArtRage or SBP.

The "initial force" thing was certainly a bigger deal to me than vectored quick-strokes.

EDIT: Also, be sure to test pressure sensitivity in GIMP and Photoshop if you have it. CS2 is free, now.

3. BadGrim

BadGrim Pen Pal - Newbie

So, after using the new driver for a few days. Can you report back?
    I'm still considering the duo over getting the surface, but very scared of the digitizer.

I will use this machine for both work and art, the stylus being precise and working well is important. Thanks!

4. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

Does the new driver fix the issue that the eraser button does not work in the MS PDF reader app?

5. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

Unfortunately I've returned mine, and nobody is reporting back on the new driver... I had initially tried to get some help via the Sony support forum, and someone reported there that the new driver doesn't enable jack. Bleh.

Re: When will the Sony Vaio Duo (SVD11215CXB) digi... - Page 2 - Sony Community

6. kiyu727

kiyu727 Pen Pal - Newbie

I do have it installed, but tbh I didnt notice anything, no pressue sensitivity in CS 2 either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.