NEW model HP Compaq 2710p - post details here

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Michael-P, May 23, 2007.

1. thebranded

thebranded Pen Pal - Newbie

could'nt agree more! depening on how the dock umm docks withthe laptop i can do away with the optiocal, but why no touch pad! plus its not really that heavy/big a device to add!

once these become avaiable its going to be so hard for me to choose between them! thats assumeing i can sell my tx1000 :D

2. idiscuss

idiscuss Pen Pal - Newbie

Really? you would do that? I assume that you are a home and home office user, in my opinion, TX1000 sound like a more attractive machine for personal use: The support for Vista media center function, media control button on lid, remote control hidden in a card slot, innovative touch pad, faster and bigger hard drive, integrated webcam and DVD Writer all in a small beautiful case.

I wouldn't trade it for a HP2710p as long as HP give it the following improvement:
    1. Intel Processor
    2. Longer battery life
    3. better keyboard layout, fix the small, awkward right Shift key.
    4. Add a firewire port

Active digitizer would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.

What do you think?

3. iwanatablet

iwanatablet Pen Pal - Newbie

4. dave911la

dave911la Pen Pal - Newbie

is it possible to switch out the core 2 duo ULV processor with a regular one?

5. idiscuss

idiscuss Pen Pal - Newbie

6. stepandr2006

stepandr2006 Pen Pal - Newbie

Shame you need 3 batteries to get the 10 hours, even then I expect it'll be down to 9 or 8 with just regular usage. How come lenovo can get so much more out of their batteries than anyone else?

7. thebranded

thebranded Pen Pal - Newbie

Is that a benefit? All it does is give a different GUI to WMP and better libary. Personally i know where all my files are, and would never use WMP to watch anything.
    I can not consider a 12" laptop an entertainment laptop. and find these features useless and annoying. The lights aound theses buttons are always one and for me they shine a thin line that i can see on the wall to my right. The remote only controls media centre and Quickplay (though did work in powerpoint slides)
    touch pad looks different but no actual benefit. 80gb is preferable as i carry a second 2.5" 80gb which has a daily backup of my data. that said bigger hdd is better.
    Have yet to use the webcam. the new models have both, either built in or via dock. Case gets to many finger marks. and too "curvey" for me, too many places around the eder of the screen for straps/shirt/jacket to slide in and get caught.
    The new models have all that (The right shift key is now the size of the left, up and right key combined!) 4pin FW.
    agree

These new models to me are considebly better than the tx1000, just depends on the price. the 25xx is looking like the better option for me, (lighter and has dvdrw built in plus touchpad, but the 27xx is a tablet and looks better. so Just need to decide if the tablet feature is really needed. (was only used for writing)

8. Detour

Detour Pen Pal - Newbie

- Battery life is > 10hrs with 2 batteries (not 3) the main battery and a travel battery.
    - The notebook case is magnesium and the keyboard deck is brushed aluminum (not plastic)
    - The screen-rotate and ctl-alt-del buttons are on the side of the display
    - A fingerprint reader is included (on the side of the display)
    - Can't swap a ULV processor for a "regular" processor.
    - The dock fits underneath the unit, the ports are extended out the the back and it weighs about 1.5lbs

9. BenI

BenI Pen Pal - Newbie

10. d_lomanto

d_lomanto Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone know how much this will typically affect performance? Aside from this hard drive issue and no touch pad, this seems like the tablet I've been waiting for.