New member looking for some answers...

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by RockingRobin69, Feb 10, 2011.

1. RockingRobin69

RockingRobin69 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone. Glad I found this place where maybe I can pick someone's brains. I have a C-140 XL tablet & experiencing problems. Main question. Do tablets run a modified version of an OS? Like a tablet version of Vista? I could have sworn mine had Vista Home Premium Tablet version on it before it went to Gateway for repair? I'll await for that answer before I continue to ask other questions. Thanks.

Robin...

2. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

XP tablet was a separate version. Vista and Windows 7 have all the tablet features built in.

3. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

pmatulew is correct; only XP had a "Tablet Edition", Vista and Windows 7 (well I've only used the "full versions" of them, not the RC's) had their "Tablet PC features" built right into the core of the OS itself (for example Handwriting Recognition is done by core parts of the OS)

As for your other questions, well it is usually fine to ask a whole bunch of questions (just be sure to explain your situation/ problem in detail, and make sure to re-read what you write before posting [to make sure it all makes sense the way you write it]. Most everyone here is willing to help each other out, and you are more than welcome to join us)

4. RockingRobin69

RockingRobin69 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the replies. Now for the rest of this problem. One morning the screen died. Called Gateway which in is now Acer. They said out of warranty repair would be $199.95 + shipping. I said sure & shipped it off. When it was returned, instead of being an all black computer as sent in, the display & its back/top of the computer when closed was now silver with 2 very distinct dings or chips in the surface. Actually it looked quite nice so I fired up the computer. Screen performed/looked great but I had no control over the 5 buttons down in the lower left hand corner of the display. Through trial & error through the damn chat session they have online with a rep we could not get them to work. So off it went for repair again. Now they say, we can not fix the display buttons or their function. They say it needs a LC module. What ever that may be & they have none. They have offered me 3 choices of laptops as a replacement but they will keep mine. None are tablets which I will miss as I use this computer in my work & car everyday & though they claim they are new computers, they will only provide a 90 day warranty on them. To make matters worse, looking up the model #'s on their site, I cannot find them. I suspect they are discontinued models. Am I getting screwed? Should I just take back my computer & hopefully the members here can help me get this back up & running as it was when I bought it or should I take their offer of another laptop? Thanks.

Robin...

P.S. During the chat session, we did try to install the drivers for the PC input control buttons to no avail.

5. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi RockingRobin69,

Yes, the C-140 has been discontinued. The last model Gateway cranked out was the C-143.

Anyways, just to confirm, the rep told you download and install this Tablet PC Button driver? http://global-download.gateway.com/...&Step3=C-140&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=GATEWAY&SC=PA_6G

If the above drivers don't work (or they are already installed), then if you are feeling brave enough, you could do a little DIY work and order the part from Gateway Genuine Parts Partners[1]: Skyline Engineering: Gateway C-140X Parts <- For some reason they list some M285 model parts, the M285 has slightly different internal display components than the C-140 series; e.g. the digitizer

Gateway C-140X Laptop Parts

It would really help, though, if you got the part number of this LC module then you could pop that model in with a bit of elbow grease. Although, you will need to crack open the display to get to it. But, I would find it odd that Gateway would forget to include a part within the display assembly.

I have a bit of a hunch, but when you said that the back/top of your display is silver instead of all black, that leads me to believe that you probably got a M285 instead of a C-140 display assembly, since beginning with the C-140 series, they changed the display assembly from a silver/black to an all black assembly. Does the pen work on the display? Did the stylus pen change in anyway? Does the pen feel heavier than before?

Anyways, this is quite a longshot, but perhaps using the M285 button drivers could work? There's two of them to install:
    Gateway Windows Vista Button Drivers: http://global-download.gateway.com/...S&Step3=M285&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=GATEWAY&SC=PA_6G
    Button drivers: http://global-download.gateway.com/...S&Step3=M285&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=GATEWAY&SC=PA_6G

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015