New main battery + Modular Battery equals....

Discussion in 'Asus' started by alphaswift, Apr 20, 2007.

1. leewalk

leewalk Microsoft Guy

Just used by R1F on a flight for 4:30+ on Vista x64 in "Power Saver" mode w/ WiFi disable and screen at 50%. The modular battery is a must for any serious mobile use.

Lee

2. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

For those of you who aren't using Vista, you can probably noticeably increase battery life by using Notebook Hardware Control to undervolt the cpu. I'm doing this with dynamic switching and I can get at least 4 hours with brightness at 75% and wifi on for most of the time and doing mostly school work type stuff.

3. MilestonePC.com

MilestonePC.com Scribbler - Standard Member

Great thread interesting battery life numbers, let me shed some light.

If you have a modular bay battery and the main battery in the laptop, the modular bay battery will be drained first, then it will switch and start discharging the main battery. This is how Asus and their systems work.

The following models off the top of my head have this feature, Asus Z70va, R1F and V1JP.

In order to check your wear percentage, use NHC it will directly tell you the wear % of both batteries if present.

I have been testing on a V1JP with XP, for quite some time; using both batteries. I have found that so far the modular bay battery has 1% wear, while the main battery is over 70% wear.

Meaning despite the fact that the modular bay battery is draining first, aslong as your main battery is being disrcharged it will be experiencing this battery wear problem. However using NHC you can still see whether the modular bay battery is experiencing this problem too, if it happens.

4. deepak

deepak Scribbler - Standard Member

the good thing about the modular battery geting used first is that after it is used the main battery starts, and we now know the main battery to last longer than indicated by windows. so we would be able to use the full capacity of the main battery.

otherwise if it were the main battery first and then the modular battery, what would happen (as of my thinking) is that the system would switch to the modular battery as soon as windows reports a low battery. In this case we would not be able to use the extra punch left in the main battery.

5. Kib

Kib Pen Pal - Newbie

here's a question for you though, what's different about the modular battery that keeps it's wear so low? And WHY CAN'T THEY DO THAT TO THE MAIN BATTERIES?!?! Hee hee hee, other than capacity they should be based on the same principal of battery design, and capacity shouldn't make a difference in wear, shold it? Please enlighten me!
    :)

6. deepak

deepak Scribbler - Standard Member

See, i never said that modular batteries don't have wear, or they have minimal wear. there is no discussion on this board about the wear levels of the modular battery, so we cannot tell what the situation is. Maybe we'll know in a while, cause now these batteries have started shipping and people are buying them. However, if the modular batteries do show wear (due to a technical fault similar to the main battery and not a real wear), then yes it should happen that once windows shows low battery alarm, the system would automatically switch to the main battery and we would not be able to use any extra battery left in the modular battery. So, basically the theory it postulated in my previous post is based on the unconfirmed assumption that the modular battery has no/minimal wear.

7. MilestonePC.com

Just like state two things, if you are using NHC to check your wear percentages, after a while the numbers to become a little off. For example NHC reports 60% wear, but then it could say 50% the next day, or the opposite, 60% and then 70%.

In order to ensure your getting the proper reading, plug in your laptop with the AC and battery in it, remove the battery while the laptop is running and NHC, then plug it back in, look at the wear percentage. Then repeat a few more times. You may also want to restart the notebook to get the proper values for your wear %.

With regards to the main battery having this wear problem and what about the modular bay battery, Asus is still investigating and I am personally looking at this myself.

From what I see and have read/know, the battery are obviously are different and the big difference is the Smart Chip within the main battery which is causing this faulty wear percentage. Whereas the Smart Chip inside the modular bay battery is working properly.

8. Kib

Kib Pen Pal - Newbie

Deepak: :) I wasn't referrring to you specifically, "you" was an open term, didn't mean to put you on the spot ;)
    But what I was really referring to was the fact that people that have the modular battery would be discharging it t completely flat and then charging it again constantly. That means if they were prone to wear it would have shot through the roof and we'd be seeing complaints. Even if it was just through NHC checks, no one has complained about modular battery wear, even though it is continuously deep cycled. That is the point I was trying to make.

9. deek

deek Scribbler - Standard Member

Is there a way for the system to only drain the modular to lets say 30% then switch to the main or the other way round to avoid wear?

10. MilestonePC.com

I don't believe there is a way to make this adjustment, I believe it has to do with the BIOS in the way it works. In anycase, the modular bay battery seems to have no problems with battery wear, we have seen this from the W3J, Z70va, V1JP and R1F, no complaints.

The problem is the main battery in which you will definitely need replacing upon the point where you feel it is necessary.