New main battery + Modular Battery equals....

Discussion in 'Asus' started by alphaswift, Apr 20, 2007.

1. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I RMA'd my battery on Tuesday as mentioned in a previous thread. On the same day, I ordered the modular second battery. Today, both of the batteries are sitting in my R1 fully charged.

First, let me say that Asus customer support is excellent. No hold times when you call, you speak to people who know the process and are familiar with what they sell. They are prompt and courteous. They paid for shipping and the turnaround was three days. No hassles and a very pleasant experience.

Second, I bought the modular battery from Milestone PC. They seem to like dealing via e-mail, but they are prompt. Their purchasing process is pretty straightforward and they update you via e-mail at a number of points in the process so you know where things are at. If Canada Post had been more on it's toes, I would have had the battery in one day. Overall a good experience although the shipping fee is mildly outrageous. I'd recommend them, especially if you live in Toronto and can avoid the shipping fee ;)

Okay. So both batteries are in and Vista is reporting at 96% charge remaining I get 4 HOURS and 45 MINUTES of battery life. This is at FULL brightness, 50% Max processor state, wireless off and Vista doing it's annoying disk indexing in the background.

The additional battery seems to add negligible weight to the unit. I'll be carrying two batteries as my normal load out and leaving the optical drive at home from now on.

I'd say if mobility is important to you, consider the extra battery.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. cecirdr

cecirdr Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for you that your battery h*ll is over. The time you're getting sure sounds good considering you're running Vista and it was indexing.

FWIW, I just received my modular bay battery, also from Milestone PC. But my laptop is in Freemont. I just checked the tracking number and it was finally received today. So when it finally gets returned, I'll have two batteries to power things too.

I can't wait. 5 hours of battery life is exactly what I was hoping for with the combination of batteries. Here's hoping that Asus gets all of my issues fixed with one trip to the repair depot.

3. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice to hear ASUS are still great with their Customer Control.

Also pleased to read those timing figures alpha.
    Let's hope as cecirdr says, that the performance does not start to drop again.

By far the better option is in using the Modular Bay battery approach.
    I've been using it for years on my differing laptops/tablets and now make it a high priority when seeking a new machine.

4. deepak

deepak Scribbler - Standard Member

Nice, alphaswift, glad to hear the promising results. I have one request from you, if you have time and are comfortable with it, could you calculate how much battery you are getting with 33% brightness, 25% cpu power and wireless off. Thanks in advance.

Also i have one more question. in the wake of suggestions/observations that the laptop keeps running even after the ACPI reports that the battery has drained, i am thinking whether the laptop (with both batteries in) would continue using power from the main battery even after the ACPI reports of the battery being drained or would it switch to the modular battery immediately. What do you think?

5. P8RSON

That is an interesting theory.
    As the ACPI can not now switch off the machine, the main battery would still be able to continue.

Is there ANY R1F users here who have the Modular battery AND have the problem of battery performance still?

If no one has the problem it would certainly point towards the ACPI.

6. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

the laptop drains the modular battery first so it's hard to tell. but at least this way, if it is a fault with the battery, the main won't drain as much and therefore wont wear as much.

7. P8RSON

That too is interesting.
    Fujitsu, Fujitsu Siemens and Pico (Laptop Company based in the UK) machines that have the modular battery use the fuel from the batteries at the same time, gradually decreasing both together.

However, what you are saying is the ASUS R1F does not follow this tradition?

8. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

both asus laptops that i've owned (z70va, r1f) have done it this way. so i guess it's just asus' thing.

9. jinobi

jinobi Pen Pal - Newbie

My batteries (Main battery and Modular Bay battery) have definitely experienced some battery wear. When I first got the R1F, it reported 5 hours and 30 minutes with Power4Gear Battery Saving mode and Wi-Fi off. Now, at 96% battery level, I get about 4 hours, 50 minutes with those same settings.

Processor usage never exceeded 30% for both cores.

10. chinesefireball121

chinesefireball121 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the info alphaswift - I want to get the R1F (second half of the year though), but want the batteries to last for at least 4 hours, so that extra 45 minutes is a bonus :)