New MacBooks and MacBook Pros Announced Today

Discussion in 'Axiotron Modbook' started by Tiffany Boggs, Feb 26, 2008.

1. iRabbit

iRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

All of us waiting for our ModBooks are wondering how this effects our pending orders. ModBooks are not "stocked", they are built as-ordered... the specs have now changed on the MacBook... better, faster, more for your money.

We're discussion it here in the ModBook Forums, but I was wondering what everyone over here thought...

I'm so worried it's only going to turn something that is already a cluster-f.. cough cough... into a bigger one! The backorder situation is already out of hand...

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

I sense another incentive of upgrading the ModBook with the newer MacBook/MBP models that are going to be available as a "sorry about the delay" free upgrade -- they had a similar free upgrade last year to upgrade the digitizer board to support 512 levels of pressure sensitivity and thus upgraded the processor, hard drive capacity, etc after the previous generation of MB/MBP were refreshed. Especially with the Penryn-line processors already at limited supply, I think that the ModBook will probably be delayed even further. Unless, of course, if they have a stock of MacBook/MBP parts handy and in stock to be unaffected by this except for new incoming orders.

3. iRabbit

iRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't disagree with you... though I tend to believe part of the reason for the limited supply of Penryn processors is the fact Apple has been manufacturing new MacBooks and MacBook Pros like crazy getting ready for this launch. :eek:

Neither Axiotron nor OWC manufacture the base unit... the MacBook... they just get them from Apple and then modify them. If Apple has the supply, in theory, so should the ModBook distributors. The bigger problem seems to be the other parts that make up the Axiotron modification kit... for some reason that no one knows (because Axiotron won't say) they have had a hard time supplying the modification kits to OWC, who are the ones actually DOING the modification.

4. Tiffany Boggs

Tiffany Boggs Editor/Site Admin Senior Member