New HP Envy X360 15.6" with Ryzen 4700U (8 core 8 thread 15W SoC with Vega 7)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Shogmaster, May 17, 2020.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I just noticed that the 4500U version is way cheaper and still cleans 8550U's clock.

What kind of animal sacrifice is needed for Samsung to give me a Galaxy Flex with Ryzen 4000?!??

lovelaptops likes this.
  2. instred

instred Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe in USA only option for better screen. I just rechecked HP site and it was there for me Extra $100 option. On the 13" there is an option for a 1000 Nit display. Is that a typo?

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Be careful what you wish for...last time we aske for a processor upgrade on the Galaxy Book, they gave an ARM chip.

Then when we didn't like that, they gave us the middle finger, and took out the digitizer completely. (And still kept the ARM chip :p)

Afaik the Spectre x360 line has always used Elan digitizers, but something I've always wondered is, does MS even supply its latest PixelSense controllers to other OEMs?

@desertlap do you have any info on this? Could you order say a 13.5" PixelSense display from MS, or do they keep the latest N-Trig tech exclusive to the Surface line (and refer you to MPP licensees like Elan)?

Shogmaster and JoeS like this.
  4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So Best Buy bear me has 4700U X360 next Friday but I can see that some of farther away BB in Cali has them in stores now.

Anyone wants to borrow one from them and report back? :D

5. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

FWIW, I had a chance to stop by Best Buy recently to try this. The pen jitter was actually much better than I expected on OneNote. It's wasn't as stable as the SP7, but roughly on par w/ the SP6. N-Trig devices I own are a 2017 Spectre x360 and SP4, and this was a noticeable improvement over both. Unfortunately, the store people wouldn't let me try any of their Surface pens on it.

daddyfish likes this.
  6. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, very nice, probably because they use MPP 2.0 now (which also has a usb-c charge port in the pen I believe). I love the value of these Envy 2-1's, at some points they are even more premium than Spectre (/larger trackpad).

7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They do keep all things PixelSense as surface exclusive including the latest and greatest Ntrig. The last time we asked Ms about pen tech as an OEM they referred us to Elan.

PS: Just to throw an addition "hmm'" in to this, the pen tech in the Surface Pro x specifically is different than any other surface product including some potentially beneficial thing such as faster scan rate, but today they don't appear to have done anything with it unique.

PPS: My connection to HP is not nearly as good as MS, but Ive heard they plan to extend their support of AMD in their spectre and envy lines. Coming soon we hear is a 13 inch x360 with Ryzen processor and radeon pro dedicated graphics, sometime early 2021, targeted at the content creation crowd versus gamers though.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Marty and daddyfish like this.
  8. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, sweet now add add a 3:2 screen too HP [​IMG]

desertlap likes this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Amen to that ! 16:9 displays are a major step backward IMHO, but HP, Dell and Lenovo all tell me that in the consumer space anything other than 16:9 doesn't sell.

Ironically the Apple faithful are all in on 3:2

10. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

I feel like this becomes a self fulfilling prophecy when the majority of laptops they sell are 16:9. It seems like only most tech reviews I read these days are now asking for 16:10 or taller displays. Hopefully the manufacturers are listening.