New HP 2760p - Tweaks, findings, battery life and Windows 8

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by excalibur1814, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh yes!

In the office I've now got a 2710p, 2730p, 2740p and a 2760p sitting beside me at home. More next week when I should have used the thing and also fitted a 128Gb 7mm Crucial M4 SSD along with 16Gb ram. (I've heard that the keyboard is a pain to remove!)

P.s. The X220 is being sold and I'm keeping the 2760p. I hope

P.P.s Ohh man! This thing ships with 104 running processes (At least it's not 110 like the other Elitebooks). 104!

2. peterf

peterf Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you need to remove the keyboard to switch HDD and RAM on the 2760p? I know on my 2740p there are just 3 screws to release the bottom panel where the HDD and RAM are accessible.

3. excalibur1814

Hello,
    The cover is practically the same as the 2740p and once removed you have ultra easy to acces to the 2.5" 7mm drive bay and 1x ram slot. To get to the other ram slot you have to remove the keyboard.

4. excalibur1814

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 2760p is slightly bigger than the 2740p as per the picture above and the screen is also that bit brighter (I've noticed more 'sparkle' on the 2760p screen so could I have the outdoor version? (Or is that ONLY for Stylus with no touch?).

I've disabled the usual services and the machine seems to fly :). As for Windows 8 I'll vm instead as I don't want to use as my day to day laptop as I'll only have to re-format when the full version hits.

Breaking news: The machine shipped with the latest bios and... wait for it...

THE FAN STAYS OFF!

Woo hoooo

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  5. peterf

peterf Scribbler - Standard Member

That ALONE is almost reason enough to upgrade.

6. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

Probably it's not...just switch the Tablet-PC in tablet mode, work with it and wait approx. 45 minutes then it turns back on. After 2 h it gets somehow irritating because it kicks in more often with more speed and noise...if your are in notebook mode it's working just fine the whole time.

7. Ebenezer

Ebenezer Pen Pal - Newbie

You could try the following if you are not doing processor - intensive work:

1. Try the "Power Saver" power plan.

2. Under "Processor Power Management", change the following:
    - Minimum Processor State - 5%
    - System Cooling Policy - Passive
    - Maximum Processor State - 10%

3. I use the above settings to try and get as much battery life as is possible.

4. The fan seems to be rather quiet with the above settings and light usage. It does blow full speed under high performance power plan.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
    Ebenezer

8. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, I'll give it a try. Allready changed those settings and nothing really improved but I also never used 10 % as a maximum:D

9. excalibur1814

16Gb is in and removing the keyboard isn't that bad at all. Un-screw the 5 screws that are obviously the keyboard screws (They're held in with springs so won't fall out). Gently move the left and right sides of the laptop until the keyboard lightly 'pings' up. Wiggle it a little bit. The top plastic holding tab is the hardest but that'll eventually ping as well. Slightly lift the keyboard and you can easily exchange the ram without removing the Zif cables.

16Gb ram wooo hooo!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  10. excalibur1814

Update: I've used the machine all day yesterday (ish) on battery and the fan stays off, comes on for a few seconds when doing anything fancy, then turns off but stays off until I do something fancy again. Yay!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.