New hope for a Surface Mini?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by swanlee, Dec 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

So with the Win 10 on Arm announcement can we assume we could finally get a Surface Mini on ARM?

I just want an 8 inch Surface mini with a Kickstand, 1080P+ screen, 4GB ram, 64GB + drive, 10 hrs Battery, GPS etc.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Right? Here's an old article with Panos' comments on the Surface Mini. It actually existed. 6" surface phone and/or 8" surface mini would be pretty nice.

3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice, it's high time I'd say. This thread's also got this discussion going.
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ind.../URL] Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Really think the surface phone is more of a reality. Highly doubt they're gonna venture into an 8" market space.

The use case for most, and I say most, people isn't going to be in that sized platform.

It's not portable enough to just take with you anywhere in your pockets (pretty unrealistic for the majority of people to wear cargo pants only) and people are moving to phablets. Big phones are taking the place of small tablets. Really do think we are gonna see a 6" surface phone with pen + silo.

This whole arm running Windows news event is laying the story and ground work for a surface phone. Intel really droppped the ball on ultra mobile cpus and may regret their decision.

JoeS and dstrauss like this.
  5. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have with me my AVN8 all the day since january 2014, it is my primary PC, and I would have loved that it could work also as a phone. So I would love and buy immediately whatever the price below 800 € an 8" surface Mini, with a pen (better if it has a silo and charge itself in the silo) and with an hdmi port, which can also allow me to make a call.

6. Droidophobe

Droidophobe Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd buy an 8" Surface tablet in a heartbeat. It would be a no-brainer replacement for my DV8P 5830 . There's no good 8" Windows tablet out there since the 5855 and the HP 608 G1 were disasters, and this market space is wide open. Don't underestimate the number of consumers who use an 8" tablet primarily as an E-reader but would like more functionality from it than they can get with a Kindle or Android. IMHO, the success of an 8" Surface will depend on its price point, not the existence of a market for it.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I'd like to keep my GN5 but run Windows 10 on it. Wonder if it will ever be possible.

sonichedgehog360 and soh5 like this.
  8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Wouldn't a bezel free 8 inch device in reality be the same as a 6 inch device? Along the line of the latest Kindle Oasis?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I think at best you'd fit 7" in that 6" frame - all the talk is about the iPhone 8 being 5.8" in the same frame size as the iP7 Plus, and it will still have to partly wrap around the edges. Still, it would be an awesome substitute for a moleskin!

Kumabjorn likes this.
  10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Bless you sis'! With the new foldable display screen tech, a bezel free 8" device would easily fit into most of my pants pockets and if it ever makes calls, it'll be icing on cake.

Sent from mTalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.